Luanze Oolong, Nov 2008?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 11th, '09, 19:53

Luanze Oolong, Nov 2008?

by rjiwrth » Mar 11th, '09, 19:53

Hello! My name is Rebecca and I am most certainly your average noob around here. Just joined last night and can no longer lurk. I just received a lovely shipment from Tea Masters, which included two Oolongs and I am just itching to dive in...gently. Oh, and some tea ware was also part of my order, which was lovely. I cannot for the life of me find anything on the Web regarding a good brew time for these two below. I would appreciate the elder tea peeps's wisdom here! (awsome place, here :D )

Luanze Oolong-Gao Shan from Shan Lin Shi, end of Nov. 08
Concubine Oolong from Feng Huang, June 30, 08 (this was a free sample. I must say I already like the name :wink: )
Thanks!
Rebecca

Mar 11th, '09, 20:45

by wyardley » Mar 11th, '09, 20:45

Just look for general brewing tips for gao shan (high mountain) oolongs and / or rolled oolongs. There's a ton of stuff on here already.

The amount of time really depends on how much tea leaf you use, the brewing style, and personal preference. Experimentation is key. If you're brewing in a smaller pot or gaiwan, I would suggest somewhere between a layer of dry leaf on the bottom of the brewing vessel and 1/4 full. Do a quick rinse with boiling water to open up the leaves. Then use pretty short brews (think a couple of breaths, not a couple of minutes). If the tea is too strong, try pouring a little quicker the next time.

Mar 11th, '09, 21:08

by rjiwrth » Mar 11th, '09, 21:08

Thank-you! I will continue to experiment with different amounts, brewing times and observing others' experiences here. I'm decent on technique, I think. My eyes were fixed during the Gong Fu sessions while I was in China and those times replay in my mind daily. Talk about being in the moment...

Peace and frequent sips,
Rebecca

Mar 12th, '09, 04:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 12th, '09, 04:35

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start!
As wyardley says they are many variables. It all
depends on your choice of brewing vessel, and style,
but boiling water is a key point. As for myself, I never
rinse a high quality oolong.

Again welcome, nice to have you with us!

Mar 12th, '09, 13:59

by teaguy » Mar 12th, '09, 13:59

Hi there! Welcome to tea drinking!

For the Shan Lin Hsi oolong, here's my suggestion as a test base. You can modify the variables as you get more comfortable brewing it.

Start with very hot water - bring it just to a boil, then let it sit for about a minute (around 95C is a good temp).

Use a fairly small teapot, and add enough leaf to just cover the bottom of the pot. You'll probably think you don't have enough in there, but I think you will.

Pour the water in strongly & quickly, to roll the leaf around and help it open up better. Steep it for 1 minute, pour it into a pitcher, and give it a try. Don't rinse the leaf first! Second round, go about 45 seconds, depending on how strong the 1st round was to you. Each round after that, add 15-20 seconds.

Remember when adding the leaf to always err on the side of too little. It is much easier to do a few longer steeps if the tea is too light, while putting too much in the pot pretty much wastes the excess.

Good luck, and enjoy your tea! Shan Lin Shi is one of my favorite high mountain teas!

Mar 12th, '09, 20:07

by rjiwrth » Mar 12th, '09, 20:07

Thank-you everyone for your helpful replies! I have to admit that last night when I rinsed my Shan Lin Shi...I just had to try the rinse liquor. I could not throw it out without giving it a try. It was amazing and this will be my practice for this tea (at least the ones I get from Stephane). I am a very curious person and I imagine my tea drinking will have the same tendencies. I experimented with longer brewing times and learned that I love the longer brewing times for this particular variety. I will be purchasing this again, to be sure.

Everyone is so helpful here...thank-you!
Rebecca

Mar 13th, '09, 08:47

by tsverrir » Mar 13th, '09, 08:47

This only shows that experimentation is the key. While teaguy likes 60 sec. on the first brew I almost never go above 20 sec on my first then usually around 15 sek on my second, probably using a little more leaf.

Welcome, hope you'll have many good brews.

Mar 13th, '09, 11:22

by teaguy » Mar 13th, '09, 11:22

Hi tsverrir,

Do you usually rinse your leaf first? If so, that's probably the difference. If I rinse a tea first (generally if I'm not sure of the source or quality), then the first steep I do for drinking will be 20-30 seconds, increasing from there.

But as you say, it does take experimentation, as even brewing the same tea on a different day can make a difference.
"The meaning of life can be found in a good cup of tea."

Check out more Taiwan tea stories (with photos) at taiwanteaguy.com

Mar 14th, '09, 07:49

by tsverrir » Mar 14th, '09, 07:49

teaguy wrote:Hi tsverrir,

Do you usually rinse your leaf first? If so, that's probably the difference. If I rinse a tea first (generally if I'm not sure of the source or quality), then the first steep I do for drinking will be 20-30 seconds, increasing from there.

But as you say, it does take experimentation, as even brewing the same tea on a different day can make a difference.
Yes I always do a quick wash before the first infusion. When drinking rolled Oolong I usually wait a while (~60 sec) after rinsing, allowing the leaves to absorb moisture and prepare for the first infusion.
When drinking puerh I do a longer wash, sometimes twice depending on the tea.

+ Post Reply