tie guan yin

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 13th, '09, 17:07

tie guan yin

by kyleroden » Mar 13th, '09, 17:07

I just got a couple of things I ordered from Dragon Tea House and one of them was a bag of this. It is a greener oolong and it's definately my favorite tea so far (I'm pretty green to tea overall though.. pun intended) . It's very sweet tasting. I was hoping someone could recommend some other teas I may like that are similar to this one.

Thanks!

Mar 14th, '09, 02:59

by iannon » Mar 14th, '09, 02:59

perhaps a dong ding or a bao zhong/pouchon
I personally like the TKY's myself..a good one..so many infusions of the honey orchid flavor/scent.

out of curiosity..what else did you get from dragon? thoughts? did your order arrive quickly? ive been looking to order from them myself and have been wondering about their service/quality

Mar 14th, '09, 03:32

by Oni » Mar 14th, '09, 03:32

I will recieve my order from Dragon teahouse next thursday, it is Tie Guan Yin Nonprail, and Premium TGY Charchoal baked, these are the best grades from them, I am very curious, I tried TGY from 3 vendors, this will be the fourth vendor I try.

Mar 14th, '09, 11:42

by kymidwife » Mar 14th, '09, 11:42

I like greenish light to medium-roast oolongs best, myself. Adagio's TGY was the first tea I ever began to seriously crave like a drug, and the first tea I drank unsweetened for the pure joy of the taste. I still enjoy it, and their Oolong #18 (which is like a dong ding/jade greenish oolong) very very much.

I had a TGY from New Century Tea Gallery, sampled from the Oolong Pass Box... and I cannot get that tea's flavor out of my mind. I suppose I am going to have to order some, I just loved it. Even now, it is really calling my name... sweet and delicious with a different honey/floral character than any other tea I've tried. I do wish there'd been a huge tin of that tea in the box instead of just enough for one brew. <sigh>

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Mar 14th, '09, 12:21

by kyleroden » Mar 14th, '09, 12:21

thanks for the input...

I only got this tie guan yin(which was the cheaper kind) and a little pu erh - Xia Guan FT Flame Tuo Cha 2007 125g Raw) to try (which i liked more than i thought I would). I was just ordering a gaiwan and figured I'd get a couple of teas to try out. I don't go through tea very fast so I don't order vary many kinds at once.

Before that I had ordered some greens from adagio, all were good in their own rights and I can ocassionally see myself in the mood for one, but each really missing something to keep it from being an every day tea:
sencha: had to be in the mood to fully enjoy the veggyness
long jing: a bit mellow most of the time
white monkey: too.. plain?

I guess based on that it's no wonder I prefer something with just a little oxidation to it. I have previously also ordered oolong #8 and jasmine suite #9 from adagio... the #8 was way too dark for me, and i didn't care that much for jasmine after a couple of trys.

The order from dragon tea house took 3.5 weeks to get here(i chose ground, didnt notice air but still seems like a long time) but i wasn't really in a hurry.

Mar 14th, '09, 15:00

by entropyembrace » Mar 14th, '09, 15:00

What kind of packaging did Dragon Tea House use for the tea? I'm thinking of making an order from them when I have the cash for it...

Mar 14th, '09, 16:05

by Beidao » Mar 14th, '09, 16:05

Ali Shan, Li Shan, Jin Xuan, Jade Oolong, Dong Ding, Baozhong, Shan Lin Shi, Gao Shan, Huang Jin Gui. Stay away from roasted or darker oolongs for a while. Also try several Tie Guan Yin, they can differ alot from each other.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Mar 14th, '09, 18:56

by kyleroden » Mar 14th, '09, 18:56

entropyembrace wrote:What kind of packaging did Dragon Tea House use for the tea? I'm thinking of making an order from them when I have the cash for it...
100g of tea came in a ziplock foil bag with a moisture absorption packet inside

Mar 15th, '09, 13:46

by tacobell » Mar 15th, '09, 13:46

My Ti Kwan Yee came in a foil vacuum packed envelope. 100 gms.

Has anyone tried Yunnan Sourcings TKY?

Mar 15th, '09, 14:51

by wyardley » Mar 15th, '09, 14:51

tacobell wrote: Has anyone tried Yunnan Sourcings TKY?
Not for a couple years, but my recommendation is not to try it.

Mar 15th, '09, 15:30

by Oni » Mar 15th, '09, 15:30

It says on the description, that they carry a higher grade than they used too, and one even comes in its own tin, I will order one soon, but shincha season is heading my way really fast.

Mar 17th, '09, 09:25

by Oni » Mar 17th, '09, 09:25

I have recieved my package, and I have tried the nonprail grade, sofar I am satisfied, the leaves are intact, sign of good quality, and the smell and taste are more complex than the ones I have tried before, I still need a few days to experiment, this is my 6 th package of TGY from diffrent vendors. I decided to experiment this way further on with the top ten of chinese teas, there are so many but the top ten are famous (next comes DHP).

Mar 17th, '09, 16:23

SEASONS

by Apostle » Mar 17th, '09, 16:23

Something to keep in mind is that there are many things that will affect the taste of your tea. So even if you're buying the same type, from the same supplier, you should watch to see if it was harvested in Spring or Fall...was it harvested by hand or machine...was it a wet year or a dry year and of course, what altitude was it grown at.
TKY's are generally bruised in the processing and can be quite alkaline so be sure to have some seeds or other snacks available while you are enjoying them. Also know that TKY's come in many grades. I was in one tea house in Guangzhou that carried eight different TKY grades aside from all of their oolongs.
While I do love TKY, I find I keep returning to the Taiwan grown oolongs. Unfortunately I cant give any names as examples as I always have mine sent to me by friends, directly from Taiwan and the writing on the packages is always in chinese. I identify my teas by taping a piece of the package to the cannister I store it in.
My favorite to date, came in a pink colored vacuum pack. The leaves were complete with no breakage or bruising and were so tiny...the average measuring 1.5 cm's across and about 4 cm's long. Maybe someone else here has tried the same tea and will know the manufacturer?

Mar 18th, '09, 02:38

by Oni » Mar 18th, '09, 02:38

Nonprail grade from Dragon teahouse is very high quality, the leaves are all intact, with stems cut off, the veins are white, the edges are reddish, it should be brewed with on heaping spoonful for a 120 cc yixing (those wooden chinese tea measuring spoons), and one minute, after washing. I really need a purion kettle to have the edge on oolongs, this DT TGY is the best and most expencieve I tried sofar.

Mar 21st, '09, 22:52

by kyleroden » Mar 21st, '09, 22:52

Oni wrote:it should be brewed with on heaping spoonful for a 120 cc yixing

this is something I want to get some info/opinions on too

If im going to be drinking a lot of TGY, would it be worth it for me to get a yixing for it? I know that Green teas are too subtle for yixing as a general rule, so I wasn't sure if this tea was too since it's pretty green. What do you guys think?

+ Post Reply