Yancha and hong cha in same yixing?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 17th, '09, 04:03

Yancha and hong cha in same yixing?

by Ritva » Apr 17th, '09, 04:03

I don't drink yancha very often so I'm wondering if I could brew it in same yixing as I brew hong cha (what we Western people call black tea). I have a zi ni pot that I use for Yunnan Gold and Sichuan Gong Fu tea. Do you think it would work?

Apr 19th, '09, 04:48

by xuancheng » Apr 19th, '09, 04:48

I think it would probably influence the taste of the Yancha more than the Hongcha.

Just rinse it out with boiling water and give it a try. A few pots of Yancha certainly won't ruin your pot for Hongcha.
茶也醉人何必酒?

Apr 19th, '09, 18:14

by t4texas » Apr 19th, '09, 18:14

I agree. It will not hurt it, but may not make for the best Yancha. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

Apr 19th, '09, 22:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Apr 19th, '09, 22:12

When it comes to yixing, just think of it this way: if you saved a small amount of each tea brewed in the pot previously and added it to your next pot, would it taste good? Obviously that's a little bit of an over-simplification, but in essence that's what you're doing. It's going to absorb some of the oils and release some as well, and that's the reason that you want to dedicate a pot.

You can be as general or as specific as you want with a pot, it really depends on your tastes. If you have any question about what you're doing, though, I think you should keep it within the general type of tea for the time being - a pot for yixing, a pot for hong cha, etc. As you get more experience and understanding, these things will start to make more sense :)

Apr 20th, '09, 05:52

by Ritva » Apr 20th, '09, 05:52

Thanks for your advice! Maybe I'll stick to using gaiwan for Yancha. I don't want to mess its taste.

+ Post Reply