Dong Ding

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 10th, '09, 16:16

Dong Ding

by depravitea » Jun 10th, '09, 16:16

Dong Ding is an Oolong I've been hearing a lot about. Mostly that it's light and floral in taste. Is this the reason it's liked? Where might I find a Dong Ding that would be a good representation of this sub-category of Oolongs.

Thanks very much!
"The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." - Bertrand Russell

Jun 10th, '09, 17:00

by wyardley » Jun 10th, '09, 17:00

Like most Taiwanese oolongs, Dong Ding comes in a range of degrees of oxidation and roasting. And, like most of the others, the most popular style right now is a fairly light roast (or none) and fairly light oxidation.

Vendors I would check out... Floating Leaves in Seattle and Stephane at teamasters.blogspot.com.

Jun 10th, '09, 19:13

by depravitea » Jun 10th, '09, 19:13

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Floating Leaves has a website, right?

Jun 10th, '09, 19:19

by wyardley » Jun 10th, '09, 19:19

depravitea wrote:Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Floating Leaves has a website, right?
Yes:
http://floatingleaves.com/
http://floatingleavestea.blogspot.com/

http://www.floatingleaves.com/index.php ... c37af53344

Jun 10th, '09, 19:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jun 10th, '09, 19:30

If you want to try both ends of the spectrum, here is a "traditional" roast dong ding.

http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... ts_id=1078

Edit: Oh, will found a roasted one.

Jun 10th, '09, 19:35

by wyardley » Jun 10th, '09, 19:35

The FLT one is only a light-moderate roast... I think the Hou De is a little more roasted (though can't remember if I've had that one specifically).

Stephane sells a "classic" / traditional roast one also, but it's gotten a little lighter (and a little more oxidized) in recent years. I think it depends not only on consumers' tastes, but also on how the tea comes out in a given year / season.

Jun 10th, '09, 20:14

by depravitea » Jun 10th, '09, 20:14

I appreciate all the info and the links as well. I'm going to get some Dong Ding from Floating Leaves on payday. I'm also wondering about a Dong Ding with maybe not so light of a taste. I don't mind bold at all. If there isn't a Dong Ding that fits this category, what might be a good Oolong to try?
Before moving primarily to loose tea I used to get Yamamotoyama's Oolong tea at Uwajimaya in Seattle. I know it's a teabag (forgive me), but I really liked the taste. I was wondering if there might be something similar, but better quality (loose?)

(EDIT) I checked out Tea Masters, and wow!
I was looking at - Hiver 2008 Hung Shui Oolong de Dong Ding, but I see no way to purchase. Is Tea Masters only a blog and not a store?

Jun 10th, '09, 20:38

by brandon » Jun 10th, '09, 20:38

Tea Masters is a little strange in that regard, they do not have a formal ecommerce setup.

If you click Chinese Teas and Wares on the top of the links column, you will find his catalog of items for sale. However, to get a list with pricing you need to email him.

You pick your items and he gives you a quote with shipping, so you can pay via PayPal.

This might seem a little strange, but it is not so different from how most of us deal with Ebay vendors in China. I can promise that while quirky and at the top end of the price range, everything is legitimate and of the highest quality.

Jun 10th, '09, 20:46

by brandon » Jun 10th, '09, 20:46

You asked about bolder teas or more body, Wuyi Yancha is my pick and a personal favorite.

http://www.theteagallery.com/Shui_Xian_ ... a-04sx.htm

This is a little expensive, but absolutely killer. I picked this one rather than inundate you with a dozen kinds. I am sure Will has some a favorite or two as well.

Jun 10th, '09, 21:53

by TokyoB » Jun 10th, '09, 21:53

wyardley wrote:The FLT one is only a light-moderate roast... I think the Hou De is a little more roasted (though can't remember if I've had that one specifically).
Is the FLT dong ding that you're referring to the winter or spring 2009?
Thanks.
TokyoB

Jun 10th, '09, 22:35

by depravitea » Jun 10th, '09, 22:35

brandon wrote:Tea Masters is a little strange in that regard, they do not have a formal ecommerce setup.

If you click Chinese Teas and Wares on the top of the links column, you will find his catalog of items for sale. However, to get a list with pricing you need to email him.

You pick your items and he gives you a quote with shipping, so you can pay via PayPal.

This might seem a little strange, but it is not so different from how most of us deal with Ebay vendors in China. I can promise that while quirky and at the top end of the price range, everything is legitimate and of the highest quality.
brandon wrote:You asked about bolder teas or more body, Wuyi Yancha is my pick and a personal favorite.

http://www.theteagallery.com/S...a-04sx.htm

This is a little expensive, but absolutely killer. I picked this one rather than inundate you with a dozen kinds. I am sure Will has some a favorite or two as well.
Brandon, thanks a lot for all this info, I truly appreciate it. I'm probably going to go with Floating Leaves for starters, kind of see what I like before I go for Tea Master's selection. Again, I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

Jun 10th, '09, 23:26

by Tead Off » Jun 10th, '09, 23:26

This is a good time to start your exploration of tea. The Spring crop is here and you want to make sure that what you are buying is from the Spring 2009 harvest. In this way, you will have something to compare to when you decide to try a winter harvest which can also be very good. Spring is considered best, but there are many exceptions to this.

RE:Dong Ding. The lightly oxidized teas have a delightful taste and aroma. They can be very refined. The traditional ones have a much more roasty quality which I find annoying and takes the beauty away from this tea for me. If I want more roasted teas, I look to Wuyi teas like Da Hong Pao from Fujian, China. Big world of tea out there. Try to buy samples to find out what you like. This can be a very expensive habit. And, very important to follow your own nose. :D

Jun 10th, '09, 23:55

by depravitea » Jun 10th, '09, 23:55

So Tead Off, where do you go for tea that you can select the time of harvest? What sites do you tend to frequent?
I understand it can be expensive. I've purchased a few Pu erh cakes and some other things, I just really want to find my Go-To Oolong for lack of a better term.

Jun 11th, '09, 01:09

by wyardley » Jun 11th, '09, 01:09

TokyoB wrote:
wyardley wrote:The FLT one is only a light-moderate roast... I think the Hou De is a little more roasted (though can't remember if I've had that one specifically).
Is the FLT dong ding that you're referring to the winter or spring 2009?
I believe it's the one I linked to directly above... probably spring 09 harvest. The one she got on her recent trip.

Jun 11th, '09, 09:39

by Tead Off » Jun 11th, '09, 09:39

depravitea wrote:So Tead Off, where do you go for tea that you can select the time of harvest? What sites do you tend to frequent?
I understand it can be expensive. I've purchased a few Pu erh cakes and some other things, I just really want to find my Go-To Oolong for lack of a better term.
Being here in Asia, I naturally source the tea from Asian sellers. But, there are plenty of N. American sellers that are on the ball. I would suggest buying things from a dealer near you, samples, and, also comparing with other samples from Houde and online shops like that. Don't buy 150g of a tea. You may not like it. Go slow and pay attention. You will learn a lot very quickly.

+ Post Reply