FooDay, er Food Day! Cooks and consumers welcome!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Feb 6th, '10, 17:09
Scrolling: scrolling

FooDay, er Food Day! Cooks and consumers welcome!

by Chip » Feb 6th, '10, 17:09

Thanks to ZENCHA for sharing this very edible idea.

OK, TeaChatters, I sense there are those who love to cook, and certainly those who love to eat as well.

We have TeaDay to share what TEA you are drinking. Soooo, let's see where this topic goes. Please feel free to jump in any time the urge to share what is cooking, what is on your plate, in your bowl, etc ... today.

It does NOT have to have anything to do with tea, but of course it can. It can also reflect a fave food culture's influence ... or not.

So, get cooking and share with us today ... everyday if you want. :mrgreen:

Mod Edit: this will be a single running topic, not a new topic daily like TeaDay ... so keep the topic rolling by posting. It is located here in the TD forum to promote the topic, it will likely be moved soon to its permanent home.

Hmmm, though this seems like an interesting location. So, you can share what is in your cup in TD and come here and share what is on your plate ...
Chip

Feb 6th, '10, 17:20
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: FooDay, er Food Day! Cooks and consumers welcome!

by Chip » Feb 6th, '10, 17:20

Getting the ball rolling.

Lots and LOTS of snow shovelling today, not a lot of time to cook, but carbs and protein and veggies were URGENTLY needed.

So, cooked up a big batch of sticky rice, finely scrambled some eggs ... threw the leftover/spent Gyokuro leaves ... mixed it all together and seasoned with a little soy sauce.

Yum, really hit the spot too. And the gyo leaves gave everything a greenish hue.

Nothing fancy, but reflected the preference for Asian food! :mrgreen:

Feb 6th, '10, 17:25

by AdamMY » Feb 6th, '10, 17:25

I will have to try that sometime Chip, nothing worth noting being cooked here today, but tomorrow for the Game I'm making a giant thing of bean dip.

My sister used to always make it and it was delicious, though now that I've seen the ingredients I know why its delicious, and not sure if I really want to eat much as its probably 100 Calories per scoop with a chip, but just as long as I don't make it often right?

Feb 6th, '10, 17:30

by kymidwife » Feb 6th, '10, 17:30

Great idea, Chip! I love to cook, when I have time.

I've recently been on a soup/stew exploration, having recently made a pork tenderloin stew and my first New England Clam Chowder. Both turned out really well, and are definite keepers.

Today, I recrafted the tenderloin stew into what I am calling Chicken and Dumplings Stew: 6 cups water, 4 cups chicken stock base, seasoned to taste with salt/pepper/garlic/red pepper/bay leaf/dried parsley/dried basil/pinch rosemary, 2 tbsp cider vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, chopped fresh carrots, celery... simmer til tender... saute chopped fresh mushrooms, onions, and garlic til tender and add to soup... add cubed potatoes, whole kernel corn, green peas to stew... saute cubed chicken breast, deglaze pan (I used oolong tea for deglaze), add chicken to stew, reserving pan with deglazed leftovers to make a roux... when potatoes are tender, drop in homemade or frozen flat dumplings and simmer... make roux with butter, flour, and leftover deglazing in pan.... add milk and alittle cream to the roux, add to stew to thicken. Simmer til thickened and enjoy. Blend in sour cream just prior to serving if desired.

Very savory, hearty, delicious... like a chicken pot pie in a bowl.

Sarah

Feb 6th, '10, 19:47

by LauraW » Feb 6th, '10, 19:47

No cooking today; boyfriend decided that after a long day of work he really wanted steak... so we went out for steak. I'm currently debating what to do with my oversteeped black tea - I already made tea-slush once this week, and it's still in the freezer, so I don't want another batch of that. Might go make mango berry muffins...

Anyway, I think this is probably as good a place as any for Food Day - that way they're both in one place.

Feb 6th, '10, 19:51

by zencha » Feb 6th, '10, 19:51

Feb 6th, '10, 20:23

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 6th, '10, 20:23

Tonight was General Tsao's Chicken. Though we use the Iron Chef brand sauce, we make a nice "breading" for the chicken with corn starch, egg and soy sauce before stir frying it and toss in some broccoli, onion, garlic and ginger. It all got served over jasmine rice and enjoyed along side a cold glass of iced tea. I love my wok.

Edit: Desert is left over filling from the coconut custard pie that I made for my mother a few days. All of the filling does not fit in a normal sized graham cracker crust so we are stuck with left overs while Mom got her pie. It is a good compromise.

Feb 7th, '10, 02:21

by Seeker » Feb 7th, '10, 02:21

Had a nice visit to my best, closest tea shop - Teance in Berkeley, and I took along my camera :D .
Had matcha (wako) and mochi - here's a shot of the mochi:
(wonderful mochi - I neglected to write down what the mochi were today :( , but I remember they were filled with a special kind of japanese sweetpotato and red bean, a special gelatin on top - yummm).

Then had baochong soaked kumquat along with some little red robe oolong:

Also, earlier, I had brought along some miso soup I'd made to a gestalt group I participated in today. I made the miso with homemade kombu dashi, mirin, sake, tamari, fresh ginger, fresh carrot, fresh green onion, fresh shitake mushrooms, shiro & genmai miso's. Mmmm.

Feb 7th, '10, 12:52

by zencha » Feb 7th, '10, 12:52

Exploring Tokyo Through its Ramen Shops
http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/tr ... men&st=cse

Feb 7th, '10, 14:29

by Dresden » Feb 7th, '10, 14:29

Here is an assortment of rolls from a local Japanese restaurant including the limited edition "Who Dat" roll

If I remember right it's shrimp tempura, king crab, cucumber, avocado and cream cheese in a roll topped with caviar, roasted king crab and crawfish. Then it's arranged on the plate in the form of a Fleur-DE-Lis.

Also pictured in the middle is a Kamikaze Roll (King Crab, cream cheese, mango and strawberry rolled in soy paper topped with kiwi. Served on a plate of kiwi, mango and strawberry sauces).

The green one in the back is my Bro-in-law's Dragon Roll.

Feb 7th, '10, 16:12

by LauraW » Feb 7th, '10, 16:12

Having people over to watch the game tonight; nothing exuberant planned for food, but tasty:
salmon dip and crackers (and a small cheese plate)
chips and salsa
homemade biscuits
cake (homemade, of course, my icing's better than anything I've ever bought from a store)

it's BYOB so people don't run us out of alcohol, but there will likely be tea as well. Sunday's my low-stress cooking day; sometimes it's just leftovers, sometimes we go out, nothing particularly exciting.

Feb 7th, '10, 19:16

by Dreamer » Feb 7th, '10, 19:16

Ohhhh, love to talk about food!
Yesterday early in the day I made a pot of chili in preparation for Super Bowl today...had some just a bit ago and mmmm, it was good.

Late last night, my son, who is in a cooking class in high school, talked me into letting him show me how to make scones. (I'd never eaten a scone in my life, much less ever made them!) Not just any scones...on no, we made blueberry scones with lemon glaze. That wound up being my breakfast this morning with tea, of course!

Eat well,
Dreamer

Feb 7th, '10, 20:14

by Jasmin » Feb 7th, '10, 20:14

We had the Hibachi in a Japanese restaurant today. It was great! :D
I had green tea with it. Awful!! :shock: I won't do that again.

Feb 8th, '10, 03:52

by Sam. » Feb 8th, '10, 03:52

For dinner tonight I made a roasted cauliflower and dill soup. Roasted a head of cauliflower florets, two onions, two red potatoes, and a few cloves of garlic until golden brown tinged. Added it to vegetable stock to finish cooking, added a handful of dill at the end and pureed into a smooth soup. Add salt to taste.

It turned out pretty good, was something I had never made before. I'm not a huge cauliflower fan so it won't be my favorite soup, but roasting any vegetable makes it scrumptious.

Feb 9th, '10, 10:44

by charizzi » Feb 9th, '10, 10:44

I made some ginger chicken rice soup since my bf has the cold! He took some black tea and I some green!

+ Post Reply