Weekend TeaDay 9/4-5/10 Mouth brewing?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

So the topic is cup/grandpa brewing where the leaves are loose in the cup as you drink. Do you do it, enjoy it? Does the thought of all the leaves in the cup as you drink bother you? Please share.

Yes I do, enjoy it, and no the leaves do not bother me
25%
Yes I do on occasion
18%
I have done it
9%
I have, but do not enjoy it
20%
I have not, but should try it
14%
Haven't, but the thought of all the leaves getting sucked into my mouth ... bheh
11%
Other
2%

Total votes: 44

Sep 5th, '10, 13:39

Re: Weekend TeaDay 9/4-5/10 Mouth brewing?

by Kunkali » Sep 5th, '10, 13:39

Done it with 3 different teas but didn't enjoy it as they all tasted too strong. Drinking osmanthus silver needle from rishi right now.

Sep 5th, '10, 14:49

by Tea4Todd » Sep 5th, '10, 14:49

Today I woke up and had one of Teavana's signature blends. It's not a fancy tea or high grade by any means, but, it's just really delicious and I think is a really good breakfast tea. It's called Utopian Jewel, it's a mix of: Oolong, Strawberries, Raspberries, Carrots, and Beets...it's really tasty, not sweet really at all, you can taste the tartness of the raspberries, and the strawberries give it the slightest hint of sweetness. It brews a beautiful ruby-pink color...it's really nice, and smells great!

Utopian Jewel

Sep 5th, '10, 16:13

by jazz88 » Sep 5th, '10, 16:13

I have done it but I don't particularly enjoy it.
@brandon if you will continue to post images like that I might one day invite myself to your breakfast/lunch or dinner :lol: I wrote it and then thought: man, that sounds kind of creepy. What Im trying to say is that I enjoyed the images and thanks for posting :D
I'm having jasmine tea from Adagio because that's the only one have at the moment.

Sep 5th, '10, 18:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Sep 5th, '10, 18:05

jazz88 wrote:I have done it but I don't particularly enjoy it.
@brandon if you will continue to post images like that I might one day invite myself to your breakfast/lunch or dinner :lol: I wrote it and then thought: man, that sounds kind of creepy. What Im trying to say is that I enjoyed the images and thanks for posting :D
I'm having jasmine tea from Adagio because that's the only one have at the moment.
@Jazz88 - consider yourself invited! Aren't you around NYC?

Sep 5th, '10, 18:09

by nickE » Sep 5th, '10, 18:09

Lovely pics Brandon & Victoria!

2007 Xiaguan FT #4: sweet leather, tobacco, fruity background, still quite harsh. I do think it is aging a bit though.

Sep 5th, '10, 20:08

by brandon » Sep 5th, '10, 20:08

Wrapped up the TeaDay as the daylight faded.

Early 80s Cooked Puerh

15 Year Aged Shui Xian

Sep 5th, '10, 20:45

by jazz88 » Sep 5th, '10, 20:45

brandon wrote:
jazz88 wrote:I have done it but I don't particularly enjoy it.
@Jazz88 - consider yourself invited! Aren't you around NYC?

That's so nice of you. Thanks.
The lighting on the last image is fabulous. This inspires me to perhaps try more of Pu Erh. I have tried only two so far.
@victoria - somehow missed your photo. Really cool.

Sep 6th, '10, 00:34

by Tea4Todd » Sep 6th, '10, 00:34

brandon wrote:Wrapped up the TeaDay as the daylight faded.

Early 80s Cooked Puerh

15 Year Aged Shui Xian

Amazing pics!!!!! I love them!! Can you explain a little about each method in here? I see you have your yixing sitting in a small bath of water. What does this do? Also, how big is your yixing and how much leaf are you adding? Quantities still confuse me greatly.

Sep 6th, '10, 00:51

by entropyembrace » Sep 6th, '10, 00:51

I started my teaday with matcha matsu from David´s Tea...nice mild yet very green flavour :)

Then I finished off my organic Ooigawa Supreme from O-Cha...lively astringency and light mineral flavour when brewed hot and short.

Sep 6th, '10, 11:24

by Chip » Sep 6th, '10, 11:24

Thanks Brandon for the excellent images!

Sunday was a fun TD, after the Yutaka Midori tasting from Den's ... Yame, moved on to a picnic at MIL's. Served up remnants of Kukicha from Rishi that was really tasty with the Mrs. Then the rest of the afternoon, Master's Ali Shan from Adagio which just seemed perfect for the casual day.

Sep 6th, '10, 15:02

by debunix » Sep 6th, '10, 15:02

Tried my cheap Tai Ping Hou Kui grandpa style today, and was a bit frustrated when faced with all of the leaves at the top of the cup:

I poured it back into my little glass teapot and poured away and was much happier: could still see the leaves 'dance' but didn't feel like I was in peril of sipping one. Just don't enjoy sipping around the leaves, makes it hard to get enough tea liquor without taking in a lot of leaf.

Sep 6th, '10, 15:10

by Tea4Todd » Sep 6th, '10, 15:10

debunix wrote:Tried my cheap Tai Ping Hou Kui grandpa style today, and was a bit frustrated when faced with all of the leaves at the top of the cup:

I poured it back into my little glass teapot and poured away and was much happier: could still see the leaves 'dance' but didn't feel like I was in peril of sipping one. Just don't enjoy sipping around the leaves, makes it hard to get enough tea liquor without taking in a lot of leaf.

I agree, I went to a tea house in Portland once, and they served me some jasmine pearls in a gaiwan, and told me how to sip from the gaiwan. It was my first time ever doing that, and it resulted in: mouth burns, sucking up leaves, dribbling tea from my chin, and taking about an hour to drink the brew lol.

Sep 6th, '10, 15:41

by Katy1977 » Sep 6th, '10, 15:41

I have no desire to do "grandpa style" mouth brewing, it really is very unappealing to me...I just finished a cup of vanilla chai rooibos with vanilla creamer, am really bummed out since I go back to my teaching job tomorrow...Goodbye Summer. :(

Katy1977