"Weak"end TeaDays 11/27-28/10 Weak versus Strong teas?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

This "Weak"end's Poll and discussion topic's play on words, suggested by Herb_Master. Which teas do you equate as "weak" and which "strong"? Please share this weekend.

WEAK: black
No votes
Oolong
7%
Green
No votes
White
38%
Yellow
No votes
Pu-erh
7%
Bonus: STRONG, black
24%
Bonus, Oolong
7%
Bonus, Green
3%
Bonus, White
No votes
Bonus, Yellow
No votes
Bonus, Pu-erh
14%

Total votes: 29

Nov 27th, '10, 01:52
Scrolling: scrolling

"Weak"end TeaDays 11/27-28/10 Weak versus Strong teas?

by Chip » Nov 27th, '10, 01:52

Welcome one and all to a "Weak"end TeaDay. Please drop in throughout the weekend and share what is in your cup.

Friday we discussed BlackFriday. You can still vote and discuss Friday's topic.

This "Weak"end's TeaPoll and discussion topic's play on words was suggested by Herb_Master. What teas do you equate as "weak" and what teas do you equate as "strong"? Please share your thoughts over the weekend.

Thank you Herb_Master!

I am looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up!

Nov 27th, '10, 02:22

Re: "Weak"end TeaDays 11/27-28/10 Weak versus Strong teas?

by matcha/mate.enthusia » Nov 27th, '10, 02:22

Hello,

Currently quaffing some Vietnamese lotus-flavored green tea in the 20th minute of this TeaDay (in the Mountain time zone in the U.S.). (It nicely compliments the cherry pie left over from the Thanksgiving celebration.) I would classify white, yellow, and oolong teas as 'weak' in that order, from weakest to strongest. On the 'strong' side of the spectrum I would place black tea, pu-erh, and green tea, in that order. I suppose, though, that the relative 'strength' or 'weakness' of the tea depends upon the length of brewing/steeping time, temperature, quantity of leaves, quality of leaves, tannin content, etc. The teas mentioned just generally tend to be 'weak' or 'strong' respectively in general, when properly prepared. Essentially, I equate 'strength' with oxidation level, as my classifications reveal.

Nov 27th, '10, 06:29

by Herb_Master » Nov 27th, '10, 06:29

Ho hum :oops:

My word play on 'week' and 'weak' had not envisaged quite this precise question. :lol:

However I have voted Oolong for BOTH.

When I first encountered quality Chinese tea I was won over by a deep dark Da Hong Pao - a strong rich tea.

I then started ordering all sorts of Oolongs over the web, and was initially disappointed with the Anxi and Taiwan offerings that I received, finding them weak and thin.

To answer the questions I thought I might be answering - :shock:

When I am weak and tired or of sickly constitution, I really relish a delicate, intriguing Anxi or Taiwanese. 8)

When I feel fit, healthy, alert and strong, I really like to indulge in the challenge of a high roast Yan Cha.

On mid track, when relaxed in gentle demeanour but mentally alert a fragrant tasty Dan Cong sits supreme!

Nov 27th, '10, 06:56

by brad4419 » Nov 27th, '10, 06:56

When I think of weak tea, the first one I think of is white tea, especially silver needles. I don't mean weak as a bad thing. I really like silver needles but the taste is very light. Even the color of white tea is more like water.

My strong tea choice would be a highly roasted yancha. That thick smokey almost syrapy liquid that just lingers in your mouth long after its been drunk seems strong to me. yum yum I need some yancha this morning :mrgreen:

Nov 27th, '10, 08:51

by tortoise » Nov 27th, '10, 08:51

I voted for white tea as my perception of weakest and black tea as strongest. The relative strength or weakness of tea can refer to the flavor or the caffeine content it seems. Flavor wise, puerh seems strongest; stronger than most commercial black teas even. Though it probably contains less caffeine. Another good example would be to compare something like YM to Warashina Supreme. The YM is stronger in taste, but I swear, Warashina seems to be a very heady, if light-bodied, asamushi-cha.

We drink a good bit of silver needle here lately. Very light or "weak" in flavor and caffeine. I usually brew it fairly cool for a long time.

This morning, I finished off the otti 8 with the final round of Hatsumi (f5).

Nov 27th, '10, 09:09

by artmom » Nov 27th, '10, 09:09

My opinion -- Weak - white; Strong - Pu erh; Black - Just right! :D

None yet this a.m.

Nov 27th, '10, 11:57

by brad4419 » Nov 27th, '10, 11:57

This mornings vote got me thinking of yancha so I had to have some DHP for breakfast.

Nov 27th, '10, 12:06

by geeber1 » Nov 27th, '10, 12:06

artmom wrote:My opinion -- Weak - white; Strong - Pu erh; Black - Just right! :D
My opinion, too, artmom!

Having some Mao Feng Noir from Tao of Tea with leftover turkey and stuffing for breakfast.

Nov 27th, '10, 12:34

by Victoria » Nov 27th, '10, 12:34

I guess I equate weak with Whites - but I think "delicate" rather than weak.
Most whites. Strong is Puerh.

Actually OOLONG is in the middle. And it's perfect. :)

Starting the day with the last of my Spring '10 Cui Yu
From Camellia Sinensis.

Nov 27th, '10, 12:38

by edkrueger » Nov 27th, '10, 12:38

I consider "weak" and "strong" to be generally be brewing or production flaws. Any tea can be brewed too strong or too weak. Particular examples of a tea can be weak or strong. Some types of teas are always too weak or strong. White tea is always too weak. Young shu generally is too strong. Young sheng can go either way with Xiaguan and its like being too strong and Mengku and its like being too weak. Cloying teas like Jin Xuan and Fukamushi might be too strong in a way too.

Nov 27th, '10, 13:22

by RaynBeatle » Nov 27th, '10, 13:22

I consider Black strong and Pu Erh weak. I have had plenty of strong whites :P

Nov 27th, '10, 14:24

by entropyembrace » Nov 27th, '10, 14:24

I think there´s too much variation within each category to really come to any conclusions...

For example I see many people associating white teas with weak...but I´d bet they´re thinking of silver needles...if they drank shou mei I bet they wouldn´t think it weak...

Same for greens....are we talking about an aroma focused high grade long jing or deep steamed sencha?

Ok...but blacks are always strong right?

Mmmm...well I´ve had some Dian Hong recently that comes out quite light

and for puerh...I´ve not tasted many but have heard before some raw puerhs being described as being very weak.

Nov 27th, '10, 14:50

by JBaymore » Nov 27th, '10, 14:50

No opinion using that particular "measureing stick". Not how I think of teas.

best,

.............john

Nov 27th, '10, 17:30

by rhondabee » Nov 27th, '10, 17:30

edkrueger wrote:I Cloying teas like Jin Xuan and Fukamushi might be too strong in a way too.
Hmm, I've never thought of Jin Xuan oolong as cloying. I actually like it because it is a very mild tea to me, sometimes with that milky scent. I have found Jade oolong to be cloying due to the overpowering floweriness of the scent.

Nov 27th, '10, 18:44

by edkrueger » Nov 27th, '10, 18:44

rhondabee wrote:
edkrueger wrote:I Cloying teas like Jin Xuan and Fukamushi might be too strong in a way too.
Hmm, I've never thought of Jin Xuan oolong as cloying. I actually like it because it is a very mild tea to me, sometimes with that milky scent. I have found Jade oolong to be cloying due to the overpowering floweriness of the scent.
Jade oolong means very little, it refers to a processing style more than any thing else. The over powering floweriness is typical of Jin Xuan, its very likely that your Jade oolong is Jin Xuan.