Monday/Tuesday TeaDay 12/13-14/10 TeaTastebuds?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

What TASTEBUDS have you sensed working when sipping tea. You need to differentiate aromas from actual, true tastes. Share and RANK! Bonus, is there a tea that had them all?

Sweet
20%
Sour
10%
Bitter
20%
Salt
13%
Umami
18%
Bonus, yes I have had a tea that had them all
3%
Bonus, maybe I have had a tea that had them all
4%
Bonus, no I have not had a tea that had them all
11%

Total votes: 90

Dec 13th, '10, 00:54
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday/Tuesday TeaDay 12/13-14/10 TeaTastebuds?

by Chip » Dec 13th, '10, 00:54

Twas the night before TeaDay ... and I was creating today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Please drop in today and share what is in your cup ... throughout the day.

This past weekend we discussed late night taste-bud domination. You can still vote and discuss the weekend's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Speaking of taste-buds, what TASTEBUDS have you sensed working when sipping tea. Share and RANK!

Bonus, is there a tea that had them all?

You need to differentiate aromas from actual, true tastes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_bud

I am looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Dec 13th, '10, 13:17

Re: Monday TeaDay 12/13/10 TeaTasteduds?

by kymidwife » Dec 13th, '10, 13:17

Greetings from beneath a Minnie Mouse snuggie, hibernating on my mom's couch, amidst our first accumulated snowfall of the season here in western KY. Yesterday's predicted dusting-to-1/2" of snow turned into about 3 inches, with temperatures dipping into the teens.

As for the poll... can't think of any teas I would have described as salty or sour... maybe these tastes are more common in Pu, which I havent sampled at all this year. My starting tea for today was Castleton Autumnal Flush Darjeeling from Tea Emporium. I'm thinking about some YM now, assuming theres still some dregs in Mom's pantry. Even if its past its prime, it sounds soooo appealing at this moment.

Happy Tea Day, hoping everyone is warm and safe and sipping delicious tea.

Sarah

Dec 13th, '10, 13:19

by kymidwife » Dec 13th, '10, 13:19

Oh, and the header says TeaTasteDUDS rather than BUDS... that might be an entirely different TeaDay topics. :mrgreen:

Dec 13th, '10, 13:20

by TwoPynts » Dec 13th, '10, 13:20

I also am not sure I've had a sour tea. Salty maybe, definitely the rest. So no one tea I've tasted has had all of those traits. Actually, some citrus infuses teas may have had a sour note.

Drinking oolong today. Choice Teas in teabag form. It's not really doing much for me.

Dec 13th, '10, 15:00

by nickE » Dec 13th, '10, 15:00

I have tasted them all in teas, but never in the same tea.

The only place I have ever found sour is in fresh Yunnan Black; it is not a flavor that you want, either. This is the reason why Hongcha ages so well for the first few years (I think).

No tea yet today, lots of coffee, lots of studying. One exam left! :D

Dec 13th, '10, 16:15

by Chip » Dec 13th, '10, 16:15

kymidwife wrote:Oh, and the header says TeaTasteDUDS rather than BUDS... that might be an entirely different TeaDay topics. :mrgreen:
Maybe this is why the topic is such a dud today, though the whole forum is slow ... seems the cold snap has caused everyones computers to "freeze up." :mrgreen:

Or perhaps the topic is too deep for a Monday. :lol:

I have tasted all these tasteud flavors in teas, and in fact all of them in more than one tea. Higher end gyokuro and Yutaka Midori have both exhibited all the flavors mentioned ... though not every time. Now are some of these flavors a perception and not reality ... such as salty? I think aromas play games with tastes.

Began the TD with Oku Yutaka with the Mrs, exhibits sweetness, a touch of bitter, and savory umami ... the tea that is. :mrgreen:

Dec 13th, '10, 18:45

Re: Monday TeaDay 12/13/10 TeaTastebuds?

by Herb_Master » Dec 13th, '10, 18:45

I voted no to salt and sour

I am presuming for unadulterated tea leaves

when I get around to trying my tibetan tea I am suppsoed to add salt!

Don't know when that will be, the Yak in the back garden refuses to provide milk, next time you buy a Yak make sure you get a female.

Dec 13th, '10, 20:08

by entropyembrace » Dec 13th, '10, 20:08

have tasted all of them in tea but not all in the same tea...

had some Oku Yutaka before and during my exam today....thinking of brewing up some DHP now...

Dec 13th, '10, 20:45

by nickE » Dec 13th, '10, 20:45

Brewed up the last of my Autumn Hong Shui from TeaMasters.

I've had Sencha that exhibited all those tastes except sour. I find salty usually comes with marine.

Dec 13th, '10, 22:29

by Skippyandjif » Dec 13th, '10, 22:29

I've experienced bitter, umami, sweet, and sour. Not in the same tea, as far as I know, though. (Bitter and sour are often a result of forgetting that I had tea steeping, and then running back over like, "OH MY GOSH!!! I need to remove the leaves!" :lol: )

Rose congou this afternoon, chamomile right now.

Dec 14th, '10, 00:42

by Chip » Dec 14th, '10, 00:42

Seems everyone got lost on their way to the forum yesterday, so we will let Monday's topic ride into Tuesday.

Please continue to answer the topic and share what is in your cup throughout the day!

I will be looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone, bottoms up!

Dec 14th, '10, 09:59

by Mrs. Chip » Dec 14th, '10, 09:59

Chip wrote: I have tasted all these tasteud flavors in teas, and in fact all of them in more than one tea. Higher end gyokuro and Yutaka Midori have both exhibited all the flavors mentioned ... though not every time. Now are some of these flavors a perception and not reality ... such as salty? I think aromas play games with tastes.
Agreed, especially with some of the higher end gyokuros, however as Chip mentioned, not every time!

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH aka kymidwife!

Oku Yutaka this morning with the Chipster in the 'Tempest' on this very cold and blustery day. The name of this Hagi fits the weather to a 'TEA' today. Delicious, however it did not exhibit all of the tastes in the poll.

A few of our CatClan stopped by for treats while most could be found cuddled together to stay warm, while Shincha and Lili just wanted to be LapCats!

Have a warm TeaDay everyone!
Last edited by Mrs. Chip on Dec 14th, '10, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 14th, '10, 10:05

Re: Monday/Tuesday TeaDay 12/13-14/10 TeaTastebuds?

by kymidwife » Dec 14th, '10, 10:05

Everyone's fingers must be too cold to type! I dont know what the low was... was supposed to be around 5F. Ughhh. I hibernated all day and night, going out only to walk the dog. Today I will be forced to really get OUT, blechh. At least the roads look clear today, but freezing rain is predicted for tonight. Oh joy. :evil:

Just thought I'd mention that I found the YM, brewed the last of what was in the pouch, and it was like HELLO :shock: :shock: strong! There was a ton of tea dust and broken leaf, and it was like fukespresso. Wow.

Hope everyone is safe and warm again today.

Sarah

Dec 14th, '10, 10:31

by tortoise » Dec 14th, '10, 10:31

I believe I've tasted them all, maybe not in one tea, or at least not in one infusion.

The first time I really felt a tea was salty was this yame gyokuro from O-Cha.

I am still trying to grasp umami. Every time I think I know what it is, I read something that is confusing.

Chiran Sencha from O-C this morning.

Dec 14th, '10, 11:04

by Chip » Dec 14th, '10, 11:04

Happy Happy Happy Sarah!
Enjoy your special day!

tortoise wrote: The first time I really felt a tea was salty was this yame gyokuro from O-Cha.

I am still trying to grasp umami. Every time I think I know what it is, I read something that is confusing.
It is curious about the salt sensation and gyokuro ... I mean , it is not like they are salting their gyokuro, yet I definitely perceive salt in more than a few gyos.

Umami is a really hard one, yet I feel the savory umami could tie into the salty sensation, maybe?