Wednesday TeaDay 1/5/11 TeaTrial 2011?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. What tea are you most anxious to try in 2011? How long are you going to wait to "make it so?"

It is a black
No votes
oolong
14%
green
16%
white
2%
yellow
4%
pu-erh
20%
Bonus I have already ordered it
8%
Bonus, I will try it this month
12%
Bonus, February/March
10%
Bonus, April/May
12%
Bonus, June/July
No votes
Bonus, August/September
No votes
Bonus, October/November
No votes
Bonus, December
2%

Total votes: 50

Jan 5th, '11, 22:18

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 1/5/11 TeaTrial 2011?

by JRS22 » Jan 5th, '11, 22:18

A January blizzard seemed like just the right time to order puerh. I'm starting small with some loose puerhs on order from Seven Cups, and finishing off the raw puerh OTTI while I await the learning experience of an aged puerh OTTI.

Jan 5th, '11, 22:33

by debunix » Jan 5th, '11, 22:33

I am looking forward to ordering some of the lovely Hawaiian oolong I got a sample of last year in a TeaSwap, and other than that specific tea I will be waiting for, no particular tea that I am pining to try, because I have been so busy the past two years trying lots of different teas. In the last year, I've tried new teas from China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Hawaii, and I still haven't opened japanese black and 'oolong' from yuuki-cha, and an aged japanese tea from norbu, and a puerh or two from Nada....

Today, I started with Wuliang Shan loose puerh mao cha from Norbu, a tea that I ordered after trying an amazingly lovely Lao Ban Zhang in a tea tasting, a tea that I might otherwise have been afraid to try, and in between sessions iwth the Wuliang Shan, I drank some Anji white tea prepared by a colleague (getting rather than giving tea for once, sweet!).

Jan 5th, '11, 23:08

by entropyembrace » Jan 5th, '11, 23:08

I´m fairly anxious to try some more fairly young raw puerh....aged less than 10 years. I´m liking the complex flavours layered with an edge of bitterness or astrigency that the younger raw puerhs offer...and I´ve got a Yunnan Sourcing wishlist built up to select from. But my teastocks are doing fairly well since I made a couple of orders in November so I´ll likely wait until February or March to actually place an order.

Will also get a bit of teaware...an electronic scale, tray for breaking puerh cakes and a pick are on the shopping list for sure.

Today I´ve been drinking Yunnan Oriental Beauty brewed in my new purple clay pot :)

Jan 5th, '11, 23:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 5th, '11, 23:32

Great TD, Organic Yama No Ocho from Umami-Chaya followed by Myou Jyou from GreenTea-Japan with the Mrs. Finished off the TD with "Happy Tea" from Maiko with dinner.

Oh ... check it out:
Chip wrote:Announcement!!! TeaDay Contest January 2011!
Kramer wrote:Who wants to have some fun!?!

Commencing on January 6th, be sure to post often and daily in TeaDay.
Details and prizes to follow in a few! :wink:
Contest ends at midnight on January 31st Eastern USA time.

Prizes will be awarded for various categories, so be sure to answer the poll, tell us what you are drinking throughout the day, discuss the topic, and post pictures! You know, "TeaChat!" The more you post ...
:idea:

Jan 6th, '11, 00:14

by Skippyandjif » Jan 6th, '11, 00:14

I am most excited to try the yellow tea my mom got me for Christmas-- I'll try it some time this month, I'm just waiting for the right special occasion to do so, because there isn't much of it there.

Rose congou all day today; currently sipping my third cup of chamomile tea.

Jan 6th, '11, 01:07

by debunix » Jan 6th, '11, 01:07

entropyembrace wrote:tray for breaking puerh cakes
I'd like something to hold the puerh cake/brick vertically, to stabilize it while I use my pick (aka letter opener), so I don't risk staking myself instead of the tea if my hands slip. Something like a nice bench vise, maybe, but sized for the kitchen table/office desk....

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Clamp- ... 012&sr=1-2

Jan 10th, '11, 11:11

by Marco » Jan 10th, '11, 11:11

brandon wrote: Image

This is also good for Matcha and Super Green Tie Guan Yin.

Some folks have been telling me to keep Matcha in the freezer for medium term storage. Is this preferred?
To freeze or not to freeze that is the question :mrgreen:
Great teafridge brandon! But from the picture I'd fear that some of the cannisters are not fully airtight.
entropyembrace wrote: Will also get a bit of teaware...an electronic scale, tray for breaking puerh cakes and a pick are on the shopping list for sure.
I am very pleased with my new Puerh-pick :) In look and usability - if you need an advice :)
A breaking tray and a teatable are on my list as well - but this things are heavy and the shipping costs almost double the price :(
Oh yes and perhaps I should get a scale as well for better brewing parameters. :oops:
debunix wrote: I'd like something to hold the puerh cake/brick vertically, to stabilize it while I use my pick (aka letter opener), so I don't risk staking myself instead of the tea if my hands slip. Something like a nice bench vise, maybe, but sized for the kitchen table/office desk....
Do you hold your cake in the hand when using the pick???
I stabilize it on the table - much safer for your hands :)

I am really looking forward to the aged Sheng Puerh OTTI. I hope that I can get in and I definitely will try some aged Sheng in the near future. This is on top of my order list.

ciao
Marco