Monday/Tuesday TeaDay 1/17-18/11 Spring traditions past?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Speaking of Spring and new harvests, have you in the past made it a habit to try the new harvest teas of Spring? Please share your past traditions.

Yes, I have had this tradition for at least several years
29%
Yes, well started a new tradition last Spring
18%
Maybe, not sure
No votes
Not really
21%
Definitely not
No votes
I am too new to tea, having started post Spring 2010
29%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

Jan 18th, '11, 10:31

Re: Monday/Tuesday TeaDay 1/17-18/11 Spring traditions past?

by andie923 » Jan 18th, '11, 10:31

I am also too new to tea to do so.. Where are good places to buy (online) spring harvests?

Jan 18th, '11, 10:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 18th, '11, 10:45

andie923 wrote:I am also too new to tea to do so.. Where are good places to buy (online) spring harvests?
That would depend largely on what type of tea you want?
IPT wrote:
Nenugal wrote:I'm also bouncing a bit extra today because I just ordered a bouncy (but *quiet*) new chawan from ShyRabbit :mrgreen:
Ooh, nice! I can't wait to see photos. I love his stuff!
Just checked out his sales, that is a beauty!

Jan 18th, '11, 10:52

by Stentor » Jan 18th, '11, 10:52

Last spring I did not know enough about tea to pay proper attention to new harvests.
So this year's Shincha will be my first. Really looking forward to it!!
It's going to be hard not to overdo it and buy too much tea though. I hope there'll be an OTTI or some similar Shincha-sharing here at TC!

In my cup: Premium Sencha Takumi from Zencha this afternoon, a fukamushi from Yame, Gokou varietal.
It seems I've finally found the sweet spot for this one, simply by using a little less leaf, actually, at roughly 0.6 g per oz.
Today it was so good, I can say it was among the best Sencha I've had.
Also, it seems to taste best in my Seigan "Spirit" TC Special Offer. I'm not kidding.

Jan 18th, '11, 11:05

by Nenugal » Jan 18th, '11, 11:05

Chip wrote:
andie923 wrote:I am also too new to tea to do so.. Where are good places to buy (online) spring harvests?
IPT wrote:
Nenugal wrote:I'm also bouncing a bit extra today because I just ordered a bouncy (but *quiet*) new chawan from ShyRabbit :mrgreen:
Ooh, nice! I can't wait to see photos. I love his stuff!
Just checked out his sales, that is a beauty!
Oh yes I'm really looking forward to receiving it in a week or two, and I'll definitely share pictures then :)

Jan 18th, '11, 12:33

by msurads06 » Jan 18th, '11, 12:33

So far i havent really gotten into the new harvests, I dont really think i will get into them this year as i currently have enough tea on hand for atleast the next six months.

Last infusion of tgy from yesterday then probably otti yiwu.

Jan 18th, '11, 12:38
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 18th, '11, 12:38

I'm drinking a new harvest Tie Luohan Yancha from Wuyishan. It's got a really wonderful complex flavor with a hint of sweetness. It's wonderful!

Jan 18th, '11, 13:16

by rabbit » Jan 18th, '11, 13:16

I've always been a "new beginning" type of person, Mondays are always the start of a routine, mornings are always the start of an activity, and spring is always the start of something as well, so every spring I am excited to try the new teas of the new year.

Jan 18th, '11, 13:22

by andie923 » Jan 18th, '11, 13:22

Chip wrote:
haha I don't know what I want.. Could you give me some examples please? I mean, I always like to drink greens and oolongs. Not too big a fan of black teas..

Jan 18th, '11, 14:01

by Chip » Jan 18th, '11, 14:01

andie923 wrote:
Chip wrote:
haha I don't know what I want.. Could you give me some examples please? I mean, I always like to drink greens and oolongs. Not too big a fan of black teas..
Most Japanese specialty vendors clearly state which items are "shincha" which means new harvest ... and they will usually tell you some harvest info.

My current personal fave 5 vendors for Japanese tea are pretty good in this regard.
O-Cha
Zencha
Maiko
Den's
Ippodo
Rishi ... OK, fave 6
The list is quite long ... I could easliy list 20 vendors who offer the harvest info.

Each year, there is a new Shincha topic under Green Tea in which members will start posting shincha news.

Vendors of Chinese greens can be a bit more elusive regarding info, but TeaSpring and Jing, both in China are very good about this. There are some domestic USA vendors that have caught on ... hopefully someone will chime in. More and more info is being shared by vendors as they are finally hearing us, we want harvest info!

TeafromTaiwan I know offers the info, but I will let others share oolong vendors.

Jan 18th, '11, 14:26

by andie923 » Jan 18th, '11, 14:26

Chip wrote:
andie923 wrote:
Chip wrote:
Most Japanese specialty vendors clearly state which items are "shincha" which means new harvest ... and they will usually tell you some harvest info.

My current personal fave 5 vendors for Japanese tea are pretty good in this regard.
O-Cha
Zencha
Maiko
Den's
Ippodo
Rishi ... OK, fave 6
The list is quite long ... I could easliy list 20 vendors who offer the harvest info.

Each year, there is a new Shincha topic under Green Tea in which members will start posting shincha news.

Vendors of Chinese greens can be a bit more elusive regarding info, but TeaSpring and Jing, both in China are very good about this. There are some domestic USA vendors that have caught on ... hopefully someone will chime in. More and more info is being shared by vendors as they are finally hearing us, we want harvest info!

TeafromTaiwan I know offers the info, but I will let others share oolong vendors.

Thank you for the information :)

Jan 18th, '11, 19:49

by kymidwife » Jan 18th, '11, 19:49

I've been sadly neglecting TeaDay as of late... work seems to demand more and more of my time lately, and FaceBook is a time-stealer too! Plus, I've recently become a foster home for our local humane society, and I've had some interesting experiences with the comings and goings of dogs.

As for the poll topic... this will be my 4th Spring (I think) of enjoying shincha... and also equally anticipated for me is First-Flush Darjeeling, and some greeen spring oolongs. I love it all! If you haven't had real, fresh, first flush Darjeeling, you don't know what Darjeeling is all about.

Happy TeaDay to all,

Sarah

Jan 18th, '11, 22:04

by JRS22 » Jan 18th, '11, 22:04

This will be my second year of looking forward to spring tea. Last year I was caught up in the shincha mania here on Teachat, but now I'm concentrating mainly on chinese teas. In my cup yesterday and today - long jing from Jing - Weng Jia Shan yesterday and Shi Feng today. I'm still experimenting with brewing parameters but I'm getting closer and closer, and the tea's been delicious.

My favorite US vendors are Seven Cups and Tea Trekker. Tea Trekker provides the harvest year while Seven Cups also gives the tea master, the bush, the location and often the date. I got my best green teas from Seven Cups this year, with Jing coming in second.

Jan 18th, '11, 22:30

by nickE » Jan 18th, '11, 22:30

Last Spring I tried a bunch of Shincha via the OTTIs. :mrgreen: I'd like to do the same this year!

Tea today was the last of an HLH Bulang sample from 2007. I still really hate this one; not sure why I decided to brew it... :roll:

Jan 18th, '11, 22:39

by Peacock » Jan 18th, '11, 22:39

kymidwife wrote:I've been sadly neglecting TeaDay as of late... work seems to demand more and more of my time lately, and FaceBook is a time-stealer too!
Don't neglect the TD!

As for me, this will be my first Spring Tradition of purchasing new greens. Before I was still tea naive and I didn't really start until August of last year.

Jan 18th, '11, 23:10

by Chip » Jan 18th, '11, 23:10

... snow and ice here since last night, though it has warmed now ... finally. I think they want more ice tonight.

Great TD that began with Yutaka Midori with the Mrs. Next up, Kumpu and finally some dribs and drabs sencha.

Hm, by my figuring, will run out of Japanese teas about a month or so before shincha ...