Wednesday TeaDay 1/26/11 Big Tea Part(y)?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How big a part of your day is TEA? Please share your thoughts on this subject.

Gargantuan!!! All consuming!
7%
Really big, huge
10%
Pretty big
52%
Big
17%
Not a biggy
7%
A small part
3%
It's there but ...
3%

Total votes: 29

Jan 26th, '11, 13:42

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 1/26/11 Big Tea Part(y)?

by kitkat » Jan 26th, '11, 13:42

Not such a big part, maybe, but a well-loved, important part. Some days I drink a lot more than others, and occasionally I don't have any, but I almost always drink some in the morning at least.

I'm currently on my 4th infusion of some random Japanese green, almost certainly some type of sencha. I can't be more precise since the friend who sent it to me isn't into tea and I can't read Japanese, but whatever it is it tastes good to me.

Jan 26th, '11, 13:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 26th, '11, 13:55

kitkat wrote:Not such a big part, maybe, but a well-loved, important part. Some days I drink a lot more than others, and occasionally I don't have any, but I almost always drink some in the morning at least.

I'm currently on my 4th infusion of some random Japanese green, almost certainly some type of sencha. I can't be more precise since the friend who sent it to me isn't into tea and I can't read Japanese, but whatever it is it tastes good to me.
Thank you for joining us kitkat ... in TeaDay.

Can you take any photos ... maybe someone can ID the sencha in question.

Interesting extreme bell curve to the poll answers today. I answered pretty big so I could be with the vast majority today. But who am I kidding ... it is really no biggie! :lol: :lol: :lol: OK, really really big approaching gargantuan.

Began the TD with sencha, of course. Sencha the Ultimate with the Mrs. brewed gyo style ... and sort of gong fu. Served up in Kashun guinomi that were perfect for this tea!

Jan 26th, '11, 14:27

by kitkat » Jan 26th, '11, 14:27

Chip wrote: Thank you for joining us kitkat ... in TeaDay.

Can you take any photos ... maybe someone can ID the sencha in question.
Good idea, I'll dig out my camera in a while and start a thread in the green tea section. I have a few mystery packets from that same friend actually.

I just took a look at the package of what I'm currently drinking. I'm pretty sure it's a supermarket brand, the one thing I can read says "A-COOP". The 2nd and 3rd infusions are always a rich, murky green. I've been wondering if it might be one of those steamed senchas I've been reading about here, or maybe it just has a lot of dust. But I should save all of this for the other thread that I need to start. Thanks!

Jan 26th, '11, 17:43

by brlarson » Jan 26th, '11, 17:43

Tea is a big part of my day. When I get really busy -- which is most of the time -- tea helps keep me centered.

Today is my third day with a newly opened kirameki shincha. Day one was brewed 5:8 at 175F for 60 seconds in red clay, and it was very tasty. Yesterday, day two, was brewed in banko 5:8 at 170F for 60 seconds, and it was rounder and more enjoyable. Today I brewed it 1:1 at 170F for 60 seconds in a porcelain hohin and it turned out the best so far: elegant and rich, with hints of butteryyness or sappiness that gave it a more sumptuous texture.

I can still taste it!

Jan 26th, '11, 20:03

by Peacock » Jan 26th, '11, 20:03

IPT wrote:Tea is life. The first thing I do in the morning is turn on my tea kettle and the last thing I do just before I get into bed is turn it off. Isn't tea the meaning of life? For me, it allows the world to disolve into nothingness while I drink a cup of tea. I can be having the worst, most hectic day, and for that brief instant, none of that exists while I sip my tea.
Thanks for writing everything I was thinking! +1

Jan 26th, '11, 20:45

by TubbyCow » Jan 26th, '11, 20:45

I'm a pretty big sucker for those "addict" shows. Intervention, Heavy, Hoarders, etc. etc. Sometimes I identify a little too closely with what they're saying.

"When I wake up in the morning, it's all I can think about. I can't function until I get that first fix, and all my energy is focused on making sure I get my leaf..."

Then again, sometimes I'll go days without really wanting to drink any.

Lately I've been more the former than the latter...

Drinking some First Flush 2010 Thurbo right now.

Jan 26th, '11, 21:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 26th, '11, 21:12

TubbyCow wrote:I'm a pretty big sucker for those "addict" shows. Intervention, Heavy, Hoarders, etc. etc. Sometimes I identify a little too closely with what they're saying.

"When I wake up in the morning, it's all I can think about. I can't function until I get that first fix, and all my energy is focused on making sure I get my leaf..."

Then again, sometimes I'll go days without really wanting to drink any.

Lately I've been more the former than the latter...
I can quit anytime I want! :twisted:

Jan 26th, '11, 21:16
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 26th, '11, 21:16

Chip wrote:I can quit anytime I want! :twisted:
ME TOO!

But I don't wanna!!!!!

Jan 26th, '11, 22:26

by Skippyandjif » Jan 26th, '11, 22:26

"Really big, huge." I often think about when my next cup will be, looking forward to it all through the day, and it makes me feel better when I'm tired after a long day of classes.

Rose congou this afternoon; currently sipping on a rosehip tisane.

Jan 26th, '11, 22:27

by debunix » Jan 26th, '11, 22:27

It's a big part of my day. I look forward to it, and enjoy it, drunk here and there throughout the day. But there are times, when traveling, when it is incovenient to make/carry with me, and I drink it less, and I get by. But left to myself, I spend a few minutes here and there on teaChat and other sites related to tea, make and drink several teas in a day.

Today, started with an herbal tisane--a very nice combo that I will have to remember for future reference--tulsi (holy basil), chamomile, hibiscus, hydrangea leaf (gamro), lemon grass. Fruity, sweet, a little spicy, very nice. Then on to some SeaDyke red label TKY. Still pretty congested from the cold so not up to the really fancy stuff.

Jan 26th, '11, 23:39

by nickE » Jan 26th, '11, 23:39

Went to a Korean restaurant today and was surprised to be served a Shu Puerh that wasn't half bad, though a bit weak for my tastes. I'm pretty sure it was Dayi, but when I asked the waiter, he said it was just "hot tea."

:wink:

Jan 27th, '11, 07:18

by artmom » Jan 27th, '11, 07:18

Tea is a pretty big part of my day, every day.

Love the first cup of the day -- all in between -- and the last one!

Jan 28th, '11, 13:40

by JRS22 » Jan 28th, '11, 13:40

I try not to do more than 2 things at one time so to eat "breakfast/read newspaper/listen to NPR" doesn't work well, and adding "drink tea" would tip me over the edge. So I need to block out time to drink tea that should be brewed carefully and savored. For me what goes well with tea is reading fiction - 2 activities that go well together.

Today (Wednesday) I experimented with brewing parameters for Yu Qian An Ji Bai Cha (White Tea) Green Tea (Organic) 2010 from Seven Cups. I tried An Ji Bai Cha from Jing Tea Shop earlier this harvest year and it's become one of my favorite teas. The An Ji from Jing is a first pick, while Seven Cups sells both first and second pick. Since I was ordering late in the harvest year I decided to try the second pick, which costs less. I plan on ordering both from Seven Cups in the spring and not counting on my memory for a comparison.

I'm posting today because I couldn't upload the photo until I found the cable. I have 2, but they were "lost" together. I inherited this tea set from my parents, who received it as an engagement present. Since they were married in the 30's that makes it an antique. It's from Japan, but clearly meant for export. I've never actually used it, but I associate it with tea parties like the one that Alice went to in Wonderland.
IMG_1264.JPG
Tea Party Teaware
IMG_1264.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 577 times