Wednesday TeaDay 2/23/11 Hail?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today' poll and discussion topic is a bit frivolous ... if you call getting to know your fellow TeaChatters as frivolous. So, where do you hail from? Does your town have a claim to fame?

US-NE
17%
US-SE
14%
US-MW
6%
US-W
11%
US-SW
9%
Alaska, Hawaii
No votes
Canada
3%
Central America
No votes
South America
No votes
Europe
26%
Asia
9%
Africa
No votes
Australia
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 35

Feb 23rd, '11, 12:32

Re: Wednesday TeaDay 2/23/11 Hail?

by bearsbearsbears » Feb 23rd, '11, 12:32

debunix wrote:Today, I live in Hollywood, although I prefer not to admit that in casual conversation.
That's a very norcal thing to say! :roll:

It ain't so bad! :mrgreen:

Feb 23rd, '11, 13:06

by artmom » Feb 23rd, '11, 13:06

I was born in a little town in Scotland, Bellshill. The only public claim to fame that I know of is that Sheena Easton,http://sheenaeaston.com/ the pop singer of the 80s, was born there. Bellshill was a coal mining town when my grandparent's moved there from Lithuania in the early 1900s.

Its other claim to fame was that I was born there! :twisted: :lol:

No tea yet today, but I'm about to remedy that. :)

Oh, I just remembered; there's a little bridge (supposed to be Roman)near there, where Mary Queen of Scots was said to have hidden under it while escaping to the home of the Earl of Bothwell.

Feb 23rd, '11, 13:54

by rabbit » Feb 23rd, '11, 13:54

US-NE (Holyoke Massachusetts)

An old planned industrial city, once the "Paper City" of the world because it produced so much paper, it had more millionaires than any other American city for a short time, and now it's pretty much ALL slums.

It was also the birthplace of Vollyball (oddly being as there is no beach).

Also famous for having the second largest Saint Patrick's Day parade in the country.

Feb 23rd, '11, 15:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '11, 15:01

Hailing from the southern reaches of the Northeast in Reading, PA.

An odd mix of Amish, Mennonite traditions among immigrants from many countries, the area has always struggled to find its identity. Adding to this juxtaposition is the old authentic and rather massive Reading Pagoda sitting atop Mt. Penn upon which the "dutchified" city of Reading is built. It lights up the skyline at night and can be seen from many many miles away. It typifies the lack of identity of the area.

Anyone passing through would have to wonder, "what the heck, is that a pagoda?" Had it not been atop the mountain and is only accessible via a long series of switchbacks (which I have climbed numerous times with my bicycle) and is in a TeaVacuum area, it would be an incredible location for a tearoom!

Reading, pronounced redding, is not famous for much, but is home of a lot things long gone such as Monopoly's Reading Railroad, Met-Ed who owned and operated "TMI" at the time of the nuclear power plant accident, and major steel and textile industries long defunct (also formerly called the Factory Outlet Capital of the world when a factory outlet was exactly that, factories that also had outlets), Cadillac Fleetwood was created and made here.

Now, we are regretably home to "John and Kate" of reality TV fame who can be seen fleeing the tabloids and paparazzi.

Sports celebs Stu Jackson who is now the Exec Director of the NBA, Hall of Famer Lenny Moore, his nephew former NBAer Donyell Marshall, NFL QB Kerry Collins.

Author John Updike is from here, and his "Run Rabbit Run" was filmed across the street from my home growing up.

Actor Michael Constantine has always lived here when not acting, weird seeing him walk down a local small town mall. More recently Kelly McGillis and Richard Gere oddly landed here.

And that's about all I want to say about Reading PA.

Feb 23rd, '11, 16:59

by tortoise » Feb 23rd, '11, 16:59

I've enjoyed reading the responses.

I grew up in Shreveport, Louisiana and I live there now. The last eleven years have been spent in several other cities, because Shreveport is pretty dull. Most of it is nice to look at. Currently, the big business is producing natural gas and Hollywood films. Shreveport and New Orleans see a lot of film activity, but they couldn't be further away from each other (physically or culturally) and still be in the same state.

There are a few little claims to fame the city keeps like knick-knacks on a shelf, but my favorite one is that Huddie"Leadbelly" Ledbetter is from here. He had an enormous impact on American Rock n' Roll. Led Zepellin, Bob Dylan, CCR, Nirvana, The White Stripes, etc, etc, have all covered at least one, if not more than one, of the songs he made famous. This guy is the goods. Photo isn't mine...obviously.
Attachments
Picture 3.png
My girl, don't lie to me. Tell me where did you sleep last night?
Picture 3.png (41.88 KiB) Viewed 785 times

Feb 23rd, '11, 18:30

by David R. » Feb 23rd, '11, 18:30

I am a huge Blues fan. Leadbelly is a big reference for me.

Feb 23rd, '11, 21:42

by iannon » Feb 23rd, '11, 21:42

Ok..well I said "other" just because although I WAS actually born. ok.In a small town in Nebraska.. I moved almost every year of my younger life. I have lived In Nebraska, Tx, Mass, NY, AZ, CA, Hawaii, England, France, New Zealand, Australia, Dominican Republic, Mozambique, Thailand and been stationed in Korea, Phillipines and Okinawa. with shorter stints in quite a few other places...so where am I from? who the heck knows

Feb 23rd, '11, 22:40

by Skippyandjif » Feb 23rd, '11, 22:40

US, Northeast. I spent the first sixteen years of my life in New York City, then my parents split up, so I moved to Maine with my mom and brother. The town where my mom lives is called Bath-- the iron works there build a lot of ships for the Navy. It's the town's main industry.

Rose congou all afternoon today; currently sipping some yummy lavender sencha.

Feb 23rd, '11, 23:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '11, 23:59

Oh yeah, great TD. Began with Sencha 7132 organic from O-Cha, followed by Pu-Otti tasting, and lastly Jade Tips from Imen via a TCer with the Mrs.

Oh, and still brewing IPT's TKY from yesterday.