Thursday Teaday 2/24/11 Oops, out of tea.

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Oops, you have completely run out of tea except your dregs which have sat untouched for several years. What to do? Please share. Up to 3 votes today.

Suffer through the dregs
18%
Run to the nearest supermarket
4%
Drive further to the nearest tea store
22%
Have tea express shipped
26%
Drink coffee
11%
Other
19%

Total votes: 73

Feb 24th, '11, 09:16

Re: Thursday Teaday 2/24/11 Oops, out of tea.

by dokpm0 » Feb 24th, '11, 09:16

Since I'm just starting to make the switch from coffee to tea I'd most likely drink coffee if I was out of tea. Well, unless it was chamomile that I was out of. Chamomile has become a nightly tradition. It gives the insomnia meds a helping hand. Coffee would definitely not be a wise substitute. I was momentarily concerned Tuesday when I realized how low I was on chamomile. I quickly placed an order for more.

I seem to be getting into a tea day rut. I'm once again starting off with a Scottish Breakfast Blend. That and a loose leaf Pu-Erh are all I've stocked at work so far. I did bring a Pu-Erh Tuo Cha sample to work with me today, so it'll be in my cup in the relatively near future.

Tagging along with the chamomile order I mentioned above will be a few Keemun and Lapsang Souchong samples. Those should help to briefly alleviate my TeaDay rut.

Feb 24th, '11, 10:34

by bryan_drinks_tea » Feb 24th, '11, 10:34

if i've had tea sitting around then it's most likely meant to be aged. I've got six year old chinese greens that taste better now than they did when they were new, so go figure. Besides, running out of tea for me means that I don't have any sencha...

Feb 24th, '11, 10:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 24th, '11, 10:55

Happy Birthday Karmaplace!!!
IPT wrote:
auhckw wrote: +1
I have enough for 40 years for everyday consumption...
My great grandchildren will be drinking some of the tea I have now.
... s**t happens ... earthquakes, fires, robberies ... kids use bings for frisbee golf in the alley, ... sooo, imagine the worst ... then what? :lol:

Feb 24th, '11, 11:04

by auhckw » Feb 24th, '11, 11:04

Chip wrote:Happy Birthday Karmaplace!!!
IPT wrote:
... s**t happens ... earthquakes, fires, robberies ... kids use bings for frisbee golf in the alley, ... sooo, imagine the worst ... then what? :lol:
Ok, I confess... I am one of the guy that picked on Coffee :cry:

Feb 24th, '11, 11:12

by JRS22 » Feb 24th, '11, 11:12

After a momentary panic and a reassuring look at my tea supplies I realized I do have options. Weather permitting (treacherous icy sidewalks trump tea) I can go into Manhattan to The Tea Gallery or some other tea shop or chinatown and replenish my stocks, while paying extra for express shipping from my favorite USA based suppliers - Seven Cups, Tea Trekker and Den's. This leads me to wonder why I've never actually gone to the Tea Gallery to shop in person, so I've added that to my to-do list.

Feb 24th, '11, 11:58

by artmom » Feb 24th, '11, 11:58

IPT wrote:I DO NOT RUN OUT OF TEA! :lol:
+1

Feb 24th, '11, 12:06

by Chip » Feb 24th, '11, 12:06

artmom wrote:
IPT wrote:I DO NOT RUN OUT OF TEA! :lol:
+1
... (Smokey) mountain men could raid your tea provisions ... :idea: :arrow: :mrgreen:

Feb 24th, '11, 14:20

by Stentor » Feb 24th, '11, 14:20

I try to plan ahead so as not to run out of tea. If I did run out of tea however, I'd just drink coffee in the mornings instead.
Of course I'd order new tea ;) I might actually go to a local tea store and just buy a few grams of something random I've never had.

Finished my bag of O-Cha's Organic Kabusecha this morning and opened a new bag of Yuuki-Cha's Okuyutaka this afternoon. It's probably too late to have more tea today but I'm not sure :)
A nice rest of the TeaDay to everyone!

Feb 24th, '11, 14:39

by artmom » Feb 24th, '11, 14:39

I'll defend my tea to the death!! Those Smoky Mountain men are no match for a fired up Grandmaw!!!! :lol:

Feb 24th, '11, 16:05

by tortoise » Feb 24th, '11, 16:05

IPT wrote:
auhckw wrote:
+1

That is awesome.

I run out of tea sometimes. I try not to let the cupboard go bare, but it has happened. After shaming myself, I order some tea...and make some coffee.

Feb 24th, '11, 16:07

by entropyembrace » Feb 24th, '11, 16:07

I didn´t pick coffee because my attitude is....coffee is not a substitute for tea and tea is not a substitute for coffee!

I like both and wouldn´t want to do without either one :shock:

Feb 24th, '11, 16:16

by Chip » Feb 24th, '11, 16:16

entropyembrace wrote:I didn´t pick coffee because my attitude is....coffee is not a substitute for tea and tea is not a substitute for coffee!

So, what would you do then?
Bryan_dr... wrote:if i've had tea sitting around then it's most likely meant to be aged. I've got six year old chinese greens that taste better now than they did when they were new, so go figure. Besides, running out of tea for me means that I don't have any sencha...
Interesting, as this echos my experience pretty much. When I have run out of the good stuff ... aka SENCHA, I have been surprised by Korean greens that were better than they had been, etc.

So, I root through the teas that sat for one reason or another and by process of elimination pick some out that will hold me over. I do not try to replace with supermarket or even relatively local tearoom tea that is too often old and faded and overpriced ... I do order and will possibly do an express ship if I am desperate enough.

Began the TD with Kiwami sencha from Zencha and currently Seijak Korean from a TCer with the Mrs.

Feb 24th, '11, 17:23

by laura99 » Feb 24th, '11, 17:23

I can't imagine that I would actually ever run out of tea. Maybe one particular type, but can always go to another. I have been ordering from Norbu a lot lately, and they can have me tea in three days. I would go through the dregs/samples I have, or maybe even a tea bag before making a trip to Tevanna though (only local tea store I am aware of).

Man Tang Xiang Yunnan for my afternoon tea today.

Feb 24th, '11, 20:16

by entropyembrace » Feb 24th, '11, 20:16

Chip wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:I didn´t pick coffee because my attitude is....coffee is not a substitute for tea and tea is not a substitute for coffee!

So, what would you do then?
see top of page one :P

Feb 24th, '11, 20:31
Vendor Member

by IPT » Feb 24th, '11, 20:31

Chip wrote:Happy Birthday Karmaplace!!!
IPT wrote:
I've got tea stored in several different places, so I'm not worried. And Mountain men are no match for my attack water buffalo!