Monday TeaDay 3/28/11 Forced exit?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you find that you must "force yourself" out of your fave TeaZone/TeaComfort zone? IOW, would you otherwise just always brew up your faves that you are most comfortable? Please share.

Yes, I must force myself
13%
I guess to a degree
26%
Maybe
4%
I do not think so
35%
NO
9%
Actually, I just stay with my faves
9%
Other
4%

Total votes : 23

Re: Monday TeaDay 3/28/11 Forced exit?

Postby JRS22 » Mar 28th, '11, 20:58

debunix wrote:Short infusions are usually the answer to bitter now for me with puerh. There are still a few times when I go for lower temps but usually I like the results better now with 'dilution'--less tea and/or shorter infusion times.

That's what I finally figured out. It should have been obvious, but with some puerh what seemed to work was barely longer than a flash rinse, at least to begin with.
JRS22

Postby debunix » Mar 28th, '11, 21:23

JRS22 wrote:With some puerh what seemed to work was barely longer than a flash rinse

Exactly. For the loose young shengs I've been working with this past year, I give them a flash rinse, then let them sit a moment to hydrate the leaves, then essentially repeat the flash rinse again, and again, and again--but drink those infusions. Add hot water, cover pot/gaiwan, pick up vessel, pour tea out. And I keep up the flash rinses until the tea starts to feel a little dilute. That's how the Lao Ban Zhang can go for 30 infusions--most of them are 10-30 seconds.
debunix

Postby Chip » Mar 28th, '11, 21:37

Hmm, it is more like circumstances are most likely to cause or force a change. I could drink Japanese greens almost all the time, fortunately I run out periodically and dig into mostly samples of other greens, oolong and pu-erh.

I am virtually at this point, having only 1 Japanese green which I brewed up this morning to start the TD with the Mrs.

I never brew the exact same tea twice in the same day, sooo ...

After that, I was forced to wait for something to jump off the shelves in AdamMY style. Today it was a pu sample that I really know little about, it is sheng and aged at least several years ... I chose it because it smelled really nice dry.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby entropyembrace » Mar 28th, '11, 22:19

I tend to order different teas more often than re-ordering old favourites...so the normal thing for me is to try new teas :)

Today I had some matcha from Euro Té....it´s a bit past it´s prime but was still tasty :mrgreen:
entropyembrace

Postby Skippyandjif » Mar 28th, '11, 22:21

I don't really have to force myself out of any comfort zones; I tend to try new teas of my own volition, which sometimes leads to me spluttering and groping around searching for something to wash a bad taste out of my mouth. :lol:

Rose congou today; currently drinking a mix of jasmine sencha and genmaicha.
Skippyandjif

Postby JRS22 » Mar 28th, '11, 23:21

debunix wrote:Exactly. For the loose young shengs I've been working with this past year, I give them a flash rinse, then let them sit a moment to hydrate the leaves, then essentially repeat the flash rinse again, and again, and again--but drink those infusions. Add hot water, cover pot/gaiwan, pick up vessel, pour tea out. And I keep up the flash rinses until the tea starts to feel a little dilute. That's how the Lao Ban Zhang can go for 30 infusions--most of them are 10-30 seconds.

Today's puerh was aged, but I have some loose shengs to explore, so I'll try your technique. Thanks for the advice.
JRS22

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions