Thursday TeaDay 4/21/11 Origin/significance of your avatar

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I see a few new avatars lately, and time to ask, is there a special significance to your avatar? See today's original post for more questions!

Yes
55%
Maybe
10%
No
30%
Other
5%

Total votes: 20

Apr 21st, '11, 21:26

Re: Thursday TeaDay 4/21/11 Origin/significance of your avatar

by AdamMY » Apr 21st, '11, 21:26

My avatar is a picture of some tea inside a Japanese sake cup, that I liked. I think it makes a great avatar because it is not to detailed, and you get a decent idea what the picture is, even when made incredibly small.

Apr 21st, '11, 22:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 21st, '11, 22:27

AdamMY wrote:My avatar is a picture of some tea inside a Japanese sake cup, that I liked. I think it makes a great avatar because it is not to detailed, and you get a decent idea what the picture is, even when made incredibly small.
Avies used to be 80X80 max til I stumbled upon the setting and thought 100X100 would be much nicer. It was! Makes me wonder what 120 would look like. :wink:
Marco wrote:
Chip wrote: Fuji and tea fields ... home of the mythical TeaCave! I have never seen Fuji first hand, but I see the attraction ... and combined with fields of fave teas.
And we all thought it is the look out of your window. :mrgreen:
It is more a front view of the TeaCave, invisible to the naked eye.

Great TD that would have been better with one more tea, but wouldn't they all? Began with YM from Umami-Chaya followed by Aoi from the O-C with the Mrs.

Apr 21st, '11, 22:38

Re: Thursday TeaDay 4/21/11 Origin or significance of your avata

by tortoise » Apr 21st, '11, 22:38

IPT wrote:My avatar is the Chinese word for tea before we started using the word "茶". It is a much older character. Few people know it now.
I just love the arcane.

Apr 21st, '11, 23:49

by ChinesePottery » Apr 21st, '11, 23:49

Drax wrote:
IPT wrote:My avatar is the Chinese word for tea before we started using the word "茶". It is a much older character. Few people know it now.
Huh, it looks like 名 with the grass radical on top.

I've looked in books that talk about the origins/evolutions of chinese characters, but I have yet to see one that talks about 茶...
IPT's avatar looks like 茗(mǐng) which indeed can mean thea sinensis or tea leaves according to my wife. Just the "few people know about it" part i don't get. It's around here everywhere, like in combination with 茶 on this tea-canister:
ipt.jpg
ipt.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

Apr 22nd, '11, 00:24

by brlarson » Apr 22nd, '11, 00:24

No avatar for me. Maybe someday.

Took the day off from work and spent it with my daughter on Race Point Beach in Provincetown watching gannets and whales from the beach! Over 100 northern right whales were seen (not by us) from Herring Cove around to Pilgrim Heights. We saw 6 whales: 1 fin whale, 3 no. right whales, 2 others whose spouts we couldn't see clearly.

Started and finished the day with Zencha's Kiwame shincha. Somewhere in the late middle I shared Maiko's shuppin' gyokuro with my daughter.

Apr 22nd, '11, 01:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 22nd, '11, 01:33

brlarson wrote:No avatar for me. Maybe someday.

Took the day off from work and spent it with my daughter on Race Point Beach in Provincetown watching gannets and whales from the beach! Over 100 northern right whales were seen (not by us) from Herring Cove around to Pilgrim Heights. We saw 6 whales: 1 fin whale, 3 no. right whales, 2 others whose spouts we couldn't see clearly.

Started and finished the day with Zencha's Kiwame shincha. Somewhere in the late middle I shared Maiko's shuppin' gyokuro with my daughter.
Very cool brlarson!

SLT currently. :roll:

Apr 22nd, '11, 08:45

by tortoise » Apr 22nd, '11, 08:45

brlarson wrote:No avatar for me. Maybe someday.

To pay forward the help offered me due to avatar frustration, if you'll send me an image you want to use, I'll shape it up for you to fit the file dimensions.

Also, really great to hear about another TC'er with a young child! I was beginning to think I was all alone...

Apr 22nd, '11, 09:09

by brlarson » Apr 22nd, '11, 09:09

Tortoise, thank you for the offer! but I don't know that I need an avatar.

And yes I *do* have a young daughter. She is 27 and she is a teacher so she has this week off.

Best regards,

Bruce

Apr 22nd, '11, 10:51

by tortoise » Apr 22nd, '11, 10:51

brlarson wrote:Tortoise, thank you for the offer! but I don't know that I need an avatar.

And yes I *do* have a young daughter. She is 27 and she is a teacher so she has this week off.

Best regards,

Bruce
Ok. Yes, your daughter is young, though not much younger than I am. Oh well. Im afraid you are disqualified from membership in my exclusive club. But since you've raised at least one child, you can retain an advisory "emeritus" status, which carries a great deal of prestige. :D
Last edited by tortoise on Apr 22nd, '11, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 22nd, '11, 11:00

by artmom » Apr 22nd, '11, 11:00

Chip wrote:
artmom wrote:Yes, my avatar is the oldest piece of Japanese teaware I have. It was given to me 34 years ago by Yoshi, our exchange student that we still keep in touch with. :D It has never been used.
Be right down to remedy this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Ya'll come on down any time!!!!! :lol:

Apr 22nd, '11, 11:12

by rabbit » Apr 22nd, '11, 11:12

My avatar is a picture I drew of my pet rabbit, he is my best friend and he has helped me get through a terrible point in my life.

Apr 22nd, '11, 17:18

by entropyembrace » Apr 22nd, '11, 17:18

My avatar is just a picture of myself :)

Thursday I was drinking some 2010 Bi Lo Chun....nice and sweet :)

Apr 22nd, '11, 21:19

by debunix » Apr 22nd, '11, 21:19

My avatar is just a tea-related image, and from time to time I shoot one that I think might 'read' better as a small square image than what I have, and I replace it.

Quiet teaThursday with a long afternoon of deep roated Dong Xing oolong from norbu.