Sunday/Monday teaDay 4/24-25/11 Itsy bitsy spider ...

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The itsy bitsy spider went in the teapot spout. Out poured the tea, and washed the spider out. Fun topic, what would you do, one of your fave teas-, scoop out the spider and sip away?

Absolutely sip away, leaving the spider in the brew for added interest
10%
Absolutely, sip away, sans spider
52%
I might still sip
10%
Are you kidding me, pour away tea and leaves and start all over
16%
After passing out, remove pot, cup with a ten foot pole!
3%
Call the TeaPolice for emergency assistance
6%
Other
3%

Total votes: 31

Apr 25th, '11, 08:50

Re: Sunday/Monday teaDay 4/24-25/11 Itsy bitsy spider ...

by brlarson » Apr 25th, '11, 08:50

IPT wrote:I would just scoop the spider out and put him somewhere where he could dry and then continue with my tea.
I would probably do the same thing.

Hou de's Beidou No 1 yesterday and today.

Apr 25th, '11, 09:15

by rabbit » Apr 25th, '11, 09:15

I tend to preheat my teapot, so I'm sure he'd have been washed out in the rinse. But if it was cheap tea I'd throw it out and steep again, expensive and I'd probably just scoop the spider out and drink it.

Apr 25th, '11, 09:34

by tortoise » Apr 25th, '11, 09:34

I've had something similar happen recently. I was between steepings on some HF TGY. I'd steeped it 5 times already, give or take, and took an hour or so off. When I poured the next brew out of the tea pot, a tiny ant washed out with it. Adventurous little guy met his doom while spelunking my yixing.

I gave that entire steeping to my teapot as the brew was already getting a bit weak, but I voted that I'd typically drink the tea after ridding it of the carcass.

Apr 25th, '11, 10:18

by LauraW » Apr 25th, '11, 10:18

I would likely dump that cup, but keep using the leaves. Hasn't happened yet, thankfully.

Ceylon this morning. Being on the 5th floor of the office building, we tend not to get critters, so no worry about spiders today!

Apr 25th, '11, 11:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Sunday teaDay 4/24/11 Itsy bitsy spider ...

by Mrs. Chip » Apr 25th, '11, 11:23

Chip wrote:Wellll, given I definately want to try eating spiders per travel channel shows ... I would still drink the tea. The mrs. would not join me however!!! Sooo, I will stick spiders in the spouts so I get more tea!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Amazingly this has never happened to me, given this old stone house has more that its share of spiders, including occasional humungous wolf spiders.
As you already know, spiders are not my fave creatures! In fact, can't stand the critters!!! I prefer to allow them to clunk up the hose of the vacuum cleaner then roam freely in our home. Yes, most of them are that big, they look like tarantulas.

And Chip is correct, I would NOT drink the tea, at least I don't think I would.

YM this morning with the moderator and a few catz romping over the TeaTable. UP next when I get home from a short workday, matcha or possibly gyo, hurray!

Apr 25th, '11, 12:19

by Alucard » Apr 25th, '11, 12:19

Certainly dump the brew and used leaf. About a year ago I was about to sip some chamomile herbal 'tea' and found a small larvae or grub in it. Was gross at first, I just dumped the it and started again.

Just finished a cup of lychee black tea.

Apr 25th, '11, 12:29

by rabbit » Apr 25th, '11, 12:29

Alucard wrote:Certainly dump the brew and used leaf. About a year ago I was about to sip some chamomile herbal 'tea' and found a small larvae or grub in it. Was gross at first, I just dumped the it and started again.

Just finished a cup of lychee black tea.
All a matter of perspective, right? I guess there are many cultures that find bugs more delicious than disgusting! If it were something poisonous I'd def. think twice though!

Apr 25th, '11, 14:41

by Elovitz » Apr 25th, '11, 14:41

I'd probably remove the spider with the tea, to make it less stressful on the little guy....I really can't handle them without getting too jumpy.

Apr 25th, '11, 20:21

by Chip » Apr 25th, '11, 20:21

Sooo, if you are wondering why I am not visible on TC quite as much and have not been posting as usual, been dealing with a lot ...

Vista Home Security Virus on my PC. I think this is what I had several weeks ago and thought I was able to get rid of it, guess not. So this war rages on, while trying to not have to wipe my PC clean and start over. From what I have read, this is a tough virus to completely erradicate. :evil:

My father is not doing very well. I guess this is an understatement since he is dying due to a longggg bout with congestive heart failure, more than 25 years. He has fought hard for so many years, winning so many battles ... but you cannot win this war at 87 years old. Although we have always struggled to relate to each other, I have always admired him so much.

These are the two most pressing issues.

Apr 25th, '11, 20:24

by Chip » Apr 25th, '11, 20:24

Regardless, TD continues ... beginning with Yutaka Midori Diamond from Umami-Chaya. Next up, Yame fuka from Xell, and lastly Guricha from Xell with the Mrs. Tea has helped brighten an otherwise rather dismal day.

Apr 26th, '11, 05:41

by Marco » Apr 26th, '11, 05:41

Hey Chip,

very sorry to hear that - my thoughts are with you.

To the minor virus problem I just want to recommand this again:
http://www.hijackthis-forum.de/english-help/
There is an english part in the forum. Those guys are very good and helped me once. They know the best tools and how to analyze the results. Give it a try.

Apr 26th, '11, 05:44

by Nenugal » Apr 26th, '11, 05:44

Chip wrote:Sooo, if you are wondering why I am not visible on TC quite as much and have not been posting as usual, been dealing with a lot ...

Vista Home Security Virus on my PC. I think this is what I had several weeks ago and thought I was able to get rid of it, guess not. So this war rages on, while trying to not have to wipe my PC clean and start over. From what I have read, this is a tough virus to completely erradicate. :evil:

My father is not doing very well. I guess this is an understatement since he is dying due to a longggg bout with congestive heart failure, more than 25 years. He has fought hard for so many years, winning so many battles ... but you cannot win this war at 87 years old. Although we have always struggled to relate to each other, I have always admired him so much.

These are the two most pressing issues.
I'm sorry to hear that, and I can only wish for improvement in both issues, I know from personal experience how exhausting both virus-infected computers and ill parents can be...

Regarding the virus, it may be a good idea to create a bootable anti-virus cd-rom on a different computer, and boot from that and try to remove the virus that way.

Apr 26th, '11, 12:05

by hopeofdawn » Apr 26th, '11, 12:05

Count me as another person who would try to rescue the spider--I'm a softie, I guess! Would definitely dump the infusion and brew again, though.

And I'm sorry to hear about your computer and family issues, Chip! I hope the computer problems, at least, are resolved for you soon ... :(

Apr 26th, '11, 12:10

by Chip » Apr 26th, '11, 12:10

Thank you kindly Marco, Nenugal, and Hope!

Apr 27th, '11, 00:10

by entropyembrace » Apr 27th, '11, 00:10

I´d dump the brew and start over even though virtually all of the spiders here aren´t dangerous they freak me out and I hate them.

It´s totally irrational I know...they control the populations of other insects...but I still don´t like them :evil: