Sat/Sun TeaDay 7/16-17/11 To can or not to can?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. A member asked, which do you prefer when buying tea, to receive it in a canister or in a pouch? What do you prefer? Please share.

I will buy with canister everytime
3%
Generally with canister
10%
Depends on the canister
32%
Usually bag/pouch
48%
Always pouch/bag
6%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 31

Jul 17th, '11, 19:31

Re: Sat/Sun TeaDay 7/16-17/11 To can or not to can?

by JRS22 » Jul 17th, '11, 19:31

Chip wrote:
JRS22 wrote:Except for samples, which fit in my collection of Upton sample tins.
I use these sample tins extensively and recommend them.
That's where I got the idea!
The other half, I plave the sample tin into the double lidded Washi canisters ... so it is well protected as I use the tea.
Time to invest in more beautiful canisters in the interest of keeping my valuable tea fresh!

Ending my tea day with some TPHK. Just enough left for one more session. Fortunately there's more on the way.

Jul 17th, '11, 22:44

by FlyedPiper » Jul 17th, '11, 22:44

I guess if I was storing oolongs for aging I would prefer canisters. I otherwise want as little contact with air as possible, so pouches are good with me.

I would eventually like to get a canister for sencha. I would think with the nitrogen flushed teas emptying half a hundred gram bag into one of them (like Chip said) would make them pretty much instantly drinkable as opposed to the whole process of taking a bag out of the fridge, waiting an hour, opening up the bag, shaking it up and waiting until the next day to drink it- and to be honest sort of just waiting a few brews for it to "open up" on top of that. Of course I would only use a canister during times when I'm drinking at least one pot of that particular sencha a day.

Kiri-no-mori matcha this morning, and some 2008 TGY hot then iced after lunch :mrgreen: . Genmaicha with matcha when I get home.

The more Japanese teas I drink the more I realize I could just drink them exclusively.

Jul 18th, '11, 01:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 18th, '11, 01:56

FlyedPiper wrote:The more Japanese teas I drink the more I realize I could just drink them exclusively.
Yeah, I never thought I would be this focused on one "type" of tea since I am realllly in need of variety ... and the wild variety of teas I used to drink each and every day.

But now I have to almost force myself to drink something else.

Jul 18th, '11, 16:57

by strickmr » Jul 18th, '11, 16:57

Chip wrote:
FlyedPiper wrote:The more Japanese teas I drink the more I realize I could just drink them exclusively.
Yeah, I never thought I would be this focused on one "type" of tea since I am realllly in need of variety ... and the wild variety of teas I used to drink each and every day.

But now I have to almost force myself to drink something else.
I know this is yesterday's topic, but I'm the exact same way, Chip. I've submerged myself in all kinds of Japanese tea and I still have a few cans of some cheap black and oolong teas in the cabinet. Now my greens sit out on my desk and I sometimes have to force myself to try and drink everything that's left. *sigh* My old love of oolong has long since passed.