New TeaDay Wed /3/21/12 96 million dollar question!

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Peyton Manning just signed a 96 Million $ contract. Which got me thinking about super stars and their mega millions. What do they do with all this money? What in the world you would do?

Purchase a few Tea Plantations
6%
Hagi
6%
Never drink a "daily grade tea" again
9%
Make some tea purchases that I have always held off on due to cost
11%
Make some teaware purchases that I have always held off on due to cost
12%
Start a tea business
7%
Drop everything and TeaTour
10%
Become a full time TeaVangelist
2%
Build a TeaRoom of my dreams
6%
Build a TeaRoom of my dreams and attach the home of my dreams to it
12%
TeaGarden ... you know ... an Asian influenced garden
13%
I would not TeaChange anything
2%
Other
4%

Total votes: 126

Mar 22nd, '12, 08:43

Re: New TeaDay Wed /3/21/12 96 million dollar questionon!

by JBaymore » Mar 22nd, '12, 08:43

Poohblah wrote:put it under the mattress. Continue as if nothing had ever happened.
JBaymore wrote:free piece of land my good friend has offered me in Japan
I hear those aren't easy to come by!
No they aren't. It is a flabbergastingly generous offer. And I'd love someday to be able to take him up on it. Likely never will happen. But.... "never says never" :wink: .

Maybe I should buy lottery tickets? :lol:

best,

.................john

Mar 22nd, '12, 11:22

by Pawel » Mar 22nd, '12, 11:22

When I read :
JBaymore wrote:
Poohblah wrote:
Maybe I should buy lottery tickets? :lol:
it sprang to my mind, that if I won the money, I would, to be honest… never work :oops:

I couldn’t definitely resist to buy top price stuff I like, no matter if I really needed it or not (tea on the top of the list),

travel the world round and... wake up to be bankrupt one day.
I don’t deserve the money, it would be a complete mistake.

Gyokuro at the moment.

Mar 22nd, '12, 14:09

by JRS22 » Mar 22nd, '12, 14:09

I already purchase whatever tea I really really want, but what sprung to mind is that I would be able to collect teaware. Still no $96m, but I decided not to wait for delivery of the money, and so I'm treating myself to a Seong-il tea tray. And maybe a houhin....... I've picked out the tray, but not the houhin.

Mar 23rd, '12, 09:26

by artmom » Mar 23rd, '12, 09:26

Settle some money on my sons and their children. Give some to certain charities.

Buy a private jet; hire a great pilot and fly to all the places I still would like to see and to some that I would love to see again, particularly my birth country of Scotland. With oxygen and other disabling health issues, it's too difficult for me to travel via public air lines.

I would purchase a one level home; hire a cook (don't need a chef), housekeeper, chauffeur, gardener,and a personal tea master. :D

Don't want much, do I? :lol:

Lyn

Mar 23rd, '12, 13:14

by JBaymore » Mar 23rd, '12, 13:14

artmom wrote:Settle some money on my sons and their children. Give some to certain charities.

Buy a private jet; hire a great pilot and fly to all the places I still would like to see and to some that I would love to see again, particularly my birth country of Scotland. With oxygen and other disabling health issues, it's too difficult for me to travel via public air lines.

I would purchase a one level home; hire a cook (don't need a chef), housekeeper, chauffeur, gardener,and a personal tea master. :D

Lyn

May you win Powerball. :)

best,

................john

Mar 23rd, '12, 15:20

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 23rd, '12, 15:20

I'd be buying a couple of these :)

http://akardesign.com/shows/index.asp

AKAR's Yunomi show opened today, man these go fast!!

Mar 24th, '12, 10:39

by artmom » Mar 24th, '12, 10:39

JBaymore wrote:
artmom wrote:Settle some money on my sons and their children. Give some to certain charities.

Lyn

best,

................john
Thanks, John!!

Lyn

Mar 24th, '12, 18:03

by galatea_chained » Mar 24th, '12, 18:03

After paying off my student debt, I might open up a restaurant. A small cafe, with great tea, of course!

Mar 25th, '12, 09:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Mar 25th, '12, 09:29

96 million? The mind boggles, one of the first purchases would be a nice cake of aged sheng to help recover from the inevitable champagnefest.

A 2005 sheng brick today on what feels like the first day of summer in Glasgow. My body is soaking up the sunshine and warmth.
Attachments
2012-03-25 13.41.10-1.jpg
2012-03-25 13.41.10-1.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 2287 times

Mar 25th, '12, 15:28

by AdamMY » Mar 25th, '12, 15:28

So after really giving this some thought, I would instantly put away 64 million into savings and investments. With the remaining money, I would definitely go on tea and teaware trips to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and parts of China. Some teaware I know I must acquire would be a Kaneta Masanao Chawan ( maybe two one for show one for use), as ever since I have seen pictures of his work I have been incredibly enamored with his pieces.

I would also use a good chunk of that money to help spread knowledge about tea, either through working with a couple universities to set up Teaware art exhibits in some of their galleries.

I am not saying I would not buy top quality tea, but for the most part I would continue to keep on exploring, and the money would help me accomplish that easier, and make me not need to worry so much about sticking strictly to my budget.

Mar 25th, '12, 20:27

by wh&yel-apprentice » Mar 25th, '12, 20:27

artmom wrote:
JBaymore wrote:

Lyn

best,

................john
Thanks, John!!

Lyn
current PB is *only* est $40Mil, MegaMillions is currently est cash value of $255Mil <<<can play this in TN also :mrgreen:

96Mil ain't really much. Buy a private jet, go big or go home>>> Gulfstream 650's start delivery later this year>>> est $65Mil, but you have to have 'connections' to be on the already pre-determined 200 positions for the 4yr run of production, or buy a position for a 'premium'. All the billionaires like Oprah and such are droolin to get one :).

Meh, I'd prolly do like Rudy K and try to corner the rare tea market (buy Romanee Conti 1945 by the case out of the some 400+ bottles produced that year....find some magnums of same, then sell off 1/2 my cache for 5-10x the price I paid for it...like Dire Straits/Sting sang...money for nothin, and yer chicks fer free). Corner the rare tea market? Buy up entire harvests of all of the best Phoenix Dan Congs, each and every year :mrgreen: (yeah, lotsa peeps would hate me :twisted: )

..course you'd have to worry about the 'fakes' that some billionaire tea drinker might try to sue yer arse in multiple lawsuits >>>hmm, move to Hong Kong and buy a free standing lot/home >>> read these start around $35M USD for tiny 4k sq/ft homes :( <<< damn 96Mil ain't really much, I need billions like Oprah.

drinking some Jasmine flavors green tea from Wing Hop Fung<<< don't like it, the green tea part of it gets that stomach upsetting/bitter feeling when brewed too strong, and mostly the tea flavor is overpowered by the Jasmine. Need a 'old skol' jasmine scented black/red tea.

Mar 25th, '12, 20:30

by wh&yel-apprentice » Mar 25th, '12, 20:30

nnn after cornering the rare tea market, I'd go after the rare tea pot market, all the auction prices would soar 5-10x after I go on a buying/hoarding spree :twisted:

Mar 27th, '12, 00:24

by SlientSipper » Mar 27th, '12, 00:24

I'd buy a lot of Red Robe Oolong with that kinda money.

Mar 27th, '12, 10:02

by Lerxst2112 » Mar 27th, '12, 10:02

I would get some land somewhere to subsistence farm, and also start a little tea farm. With that little farm, a small store front/education centre. I would make sure that my parents were comfortable in their old age. A small amount would be invested in a fairly good yield savings account which earns interest. A small amount would go towards several months in Asia with Bryan so that we could visit plantations, and experience Asia with no worries or boundaries. The rest would be donated.

Mar 30th, '12, 16:56

by Chip » Mar 30th, '12, 16:56

I checked just about every box, even the conflicting ones. Teaware, tearoom, house to attach the tearoom, and of course lots and lots of good tea. I don't however want to be known a suckah with lots of dough ... and have everyone trying to sell me only the most expensive stuff.