tgiFRIDAY, 2/08/08, Fave type of tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TODAY, what is your favorite type of tea?

Black
27%
Oolong
17%
Green
44%
White
2%
Yellow
No votes
Pu-erh
10%
Yerbe Mate
No votes
Rooibus
No votes
Herbal
No votes

Total votes: 48

Feb 8th, '08, 19:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 8th, '08, 19:02

All I see is that you have learned something new, LadyTiger and that is something to celebrate, not bang your head against the wall. :D
Last edited by Chip on Feb 8th, '08, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 8th, '08, 19:05

by Ladytiger » Feb 8th, '08, 19:05

Chip wrote:
Ladytiger wrote:I'm going to hid in a corner with my Valentines tea and possibly bang my head against the wall because of tea ignorant I am. If you read my tea review blog you'll see why.
Sorry Ladytiger, what are you referring to on your blog? Whatever it is, we all live and TeaLearn!!! But seriously, which blog entry are you referring to?
I'm referring to my most recent post ( http://ginsenggreenstea.blogspot.com/20 ... it-in.html ) and my Valentines tea review ( http://ginsenggreenstea.blogspot.com/20 ... s-tea.html )

Feb 8th, '08, 19:09

by tenuki » Feb 8th, '08, 19:09

I went back and experimented with this Teahome Ali Shan again today, with very interesting results. Longer brewtimes (50->1:30), slightly more leaf..mmmmmnn, now it's rockin again. And man, this tea can take a beating and recover nicely.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Feb 8th, '08, 19:10

by Ladytiger » Feb 8th, '08, 19:10

Chip wrote:All I see is that you have learned something new, LadyTiger and that is something to celebrate, not bang your head against the wall.
It's more of the frustration of not nothing what my teas really taste like. It looks like I'll try to try all of my teas in the Ingneuity tomorrow. I also need to find out better words to decribe teas with.

Feb 8th, '08, 19:11

by Michael_C » Feb 8th, '08, 19:11

It's a simple formula, Chip:

1. Get in laws from western Japan
2. Mention to them that you love drinking tea!

You know, reading what everyone is drinking, you folks are all just too cool. Why do I so irrationally trust tea drinkers?

Feb 8th, '08, 19:12

by tenuki » Feb 8th, '08, 19:12

Ladytiger wrote: I also need to find out better words to decribe teas with.
Don't let these florid tea gushers make you feel you need to get all fancy and wordy Ladytiger. All you really need to know is if you like something or not. ;)

Feb 8th, '08, 19:13

by Chip » Feb 8th, '08, 19:13

tenuki wrote:I went back and experimented with this Teahome Ali Shan again today, with very interesting results. Longer brewtimes (50->1:30), slightly more leaf..mmmmmnn, now it's rockin again. And man, this tea can take a beating and recover nicely.
Hmmm, we seem to be in parallel universes. But finding similar results.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 8th, '08, 19:28

by Dr. Eel » Feb 8th, '08, 19:28

well, im a green and oolong fan. Lately, i've been traversing the japanese green wonders, and today has been a sencha day.

Feb 8th, '08, 20:26

by Chip » Feb 8th, '08, 20:26

Dr. Eel wrote:well, im a green and oolong fan. Lately, i've been traversing the japanese green wonders, and today has been a sencha day.
Cool...and you are in good company!!!

Going for a cup of Matcha...a great way to end my TeaDay.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 8th, '08, 21:15

by Salsero » Feb 8th, '08, 21:15

tenuki wrote:Drinking Ali Shan today.

Li Shan traditional style Da Yu Ling Gao Shan Cha is my favorite hands down,
OK, Tenuki, inquiring minds want to know: just what the deuce is "traditional style." Does it mean more oxidized, more roasted, less or either/both, or something else?

It's my understanding that the Gao Shan oolongs (Taiwanese "high mountain" oolongs grown at the highest elevations) have only become so popular relatively recently. And is a "traditional" Dong Ding (grown at a lower elevation) traditional for the same reasons as the Gao Shan?

The traditional Ali Shan you mention here, is that the TeaHome one that you bring up later in this same thread?

Finally, are Hou De's Taiwan oo's among your favorites generally? (I think you may have already answered this one at some time in the past, but I have forgotten.)

Whew ...

Feb 8th, '08, 21:30

by caradrake » Feb 8th, '08, 21:30

I finished my night off with a very nice pot of jasmine tea at a local Vietnamese restaurant.

Feb 8th, '08, 21:58

by JT » Feb 8th, '08, 21:58

mmmm Houji-Kukicha in my cup now.
Had guricha and some silver needles earlier.

Feb 8th, '08, 22:02

by tenuki » Feb 8th, '08, 22:02

Salsero wrote:
tenuki wrote:Drinking Ali Shan today.

Li Shan traditional style Da Yu Ling Gao Shan Cha is my favorite hands down,
OK, Tenuki, inquiring minds want to know: just what the deuce is "traditional style." Does it mean more oxidized, more roasted, less or either/both, or something else?

It's my understanding that the Gao Shan oolongs (Taiwanese "high mountain" oolongs grown at the highest elevations) have only become so popular relatively recently. And is a "traditional" Dong Ding (grown at a lower elevation) traditional for the same reasons as the Gao Shan?

The traditional Ali Shan you mention here, is that the TeaHome one that you bring up later in this same thread?

Finally, are Hou De's Taiwan oo's among your favorites generally? (I think you may have already answered this one at some time in the past, but I have forgotten.)

Whew ...
Well, keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about, really. any info I have is second hand from my real tea geek friends and the same internet you are on but I'll do my best. :D

As far as I can tell 'traditional style' teas tend to have more mouth/soupy feel and are a bit less green. there is also some undefinable to me thing also, sort of like the 'appellation' qualities of a good wine. I think, at least for Gao Shan's it refers to the process followed to oxidize the tea (traditional style is more labor intensive I think) as well, but someone else should answer that who's been there and actually knows. I believe that is true for Dong Dings as well but I don't know for sure.

I don't think the Ali Shan I'm drinking right now is 'traditional style', the only traditional style Ali Shan's I've found I got at Floating Leaves Tea (who has traditional Li Shan,etc too), I've seen 'traditional style' Li Shans and Dong Dings around at other vendors, and the Legund of Tung Ting from Teahome is 'traditional style'(and my favorite Tung Ting too).

I wouldn't put too much stock in it until you drink some from a good source, people can just say their tea is 'traditional style' , just as anyone can claim 'Da Yu Ling'.

And yes, I have gotten consistently good Gao Shan tea from Hou De and would recommend them.

Please, someone who knows answer these questions! :oops:

Feb 8th, '08, 22:11

by tenuki » Feb 8th, '08, 22:11

Salsero wrote:It's my understanding that the Gao Shan oolongs (Taiwanese "high mountain" oolongs grown at the highest elevations) have only become so popular relatively recently.
Well, as I understand it a lot of those farms are hundreds of years old, and were founded by immigrants from the Wuyi region of Fujian province in China (so called birthplace of tea), so I suppose claiming 'traditional' has some weight regardless of 'popularity'... ;)
Last edited by tenuki on Feb 8th, '08, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 8th, '08, 22:16

by Eastree » Feb 8th, '08, 22:16

One of my two tins of Baozhong from The Tao of Tea, which I bought severak months ago ...

Always nice.