Saturday, 2/23/08, TeaDay for all

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Victoria is wondering, "So, how big is your cup anyway?"

1 OZ
4%
2 OZ
No votes
3 OZ
4%
4 OZ
4%
5-6 OZ
26%
7-8 OZ
15%
9-10 OZ
19%
11-12 OZ
13%
13-14 OZ
2%
15-16 OZ
13%
Bigger, OY!
No votes

Total votes: 47

Feb 23rd, '08, 03:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Saturday, 2/23/08, TeaDay for all

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '08, 03:23

Welcome to TeaDay!!! Stop by all day and share what is in your cup!!!

TeaNewbies are welcome, even TeaSnobbies are welcome...everyone is welcome.

So, see what is in everyone elses cup and share what is in yours. A little TeaBoasting!!!

Todays TeaPoll is from Victoria, well, more inspired by Victoria.

How big is your favorite TeaCup? Share with everyone your TeaCup size...and WHY??? Share your TeaCup story with everyone.

The TeaCup is often belittled by the TeaPot. Today, the TeaCup reigns supreme here on TeaDay!!!

Have a great TeaDay Saturday, TeaChatters!!!
Last edited by Chip on Feb 23rd, '08, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 23rd, '08, 03:42

by Space Samurai » Feb 23rd, '08, 03:42

It depends.

I use chawans for greens, whites, and blacks, and they're all about 10 oz, but I only make tea 7-8 oz.

For Puerh and oolong I have various cups, 1 oz, 2 oz, and 4 oz, depending on my mood. For example, when I make TGY, I tend to decant the whole pot into a 4 oz cup, but if I'm reviewing a tea, I'll use one of the small tasting cups.

For chai I have a 16 oz mug.

My favorite cup is the Seiryu Ippuku from zencha.

It's story: I saw it, fell in love with it, had to have it. Worked a helluva long week (I say week, it was like 12 days without a day off), so that I could get the overtime to pay for it. It was worth it.

My very close second favorite 'cup' is my kuro raku matcha bowl.

I sent a vendor a picture of what I was looking for, and he found this one for me. I love it quite a bit and think its perfect.

The difference in sizes:

Feb 23rd, '08, 04:40

by omegapd » Feb 23rd, '08, 04:40

I have a work mug that holds 16 oz and a stainless steel mug that holds about the same that I use at home for everyday stuff. A couple of times a week, I'll break out the Yixing set and use it when I have time. I have no idea how much the cups hold in it, but the teapot only holds about 12 oz. so I'll guess they're 3 oz cups :?:

Interesting question. Thanks. I'm sure we can make some pretty good assumptions on the type of tea drinkers we are by the cups we use.

Obviously, I'm the "gimmee a bunch- I'm in a rush" type. :D

EW

Feb 23rd, '08, 04:42

by Selaphiel » Feb 23rd, '08, 04:42

That Seiryu Ippuku cup is just incredibly beautiful. Really want one of them myself.

My cups usually hold between 4-5oz. The cups I use for Gong Fu Cha ceremonies are taste cups + aroma cups, the taste cups probably hold around 2oz.

Think I`m gonna go for some Black Yunnan Buds today + perhaps some green chinese tea later.

Haven`t been on teachat for like 2 days now, been really busy lately :(

Feb 23rd, '08, 07:49

by brandon » Feb 23rd, '08, 07:49

I have 4 tasting cups of something slightly larger than 1oz for gong fu, but I also have two white porcelain cups of 5oz that will take an entire batch.
For sencha, I put 6-8 oz into a 10 oz chawan (white, from Rishi). I am becoming less enamored with this cup all the time, as Alex inundates us with a growing collection of masterful pieces.

Feb 23rd, '08, 07:55

by olivierco » Feb 23rd, '08, 07:55

For my morning breakfast tea (keemun this morning) 16oz, as for most of my one-steep only teas or when I mix the steeps (houjicha and some chinese greens).
Otherwise, I use most of the time a 5-6oz teacups for senchas or other multiple steeps teas. My favorite is this one:

and I have smaller cups (2 to 3 oz) for gyokuro, puer and oolongs (when I don't use the gaiwan).

Right now I am drinking jasmine pearls in my 16oz cup.

Feb 23rd, '08, 08:58

by Ladytiger » Feb 23rd, '08, 08:58

My favorite travel cup is 16 oz, my set of three heavy ceramic mugs are about 9 oz and my favorite favorite mug is about 10 oz.

Feb 23rd, '08, 09:23

by witches brew » Feb 23rd, '08, 09:23

I use an ordinary teacup, which is about 6 oz.

And in my cup today, in continuing celebration of our first real snowstorm of the winter, I am drinking Snow Geisha.

Feb 23rd, '08, 10:00

by hop_goblin » Feb 23rd, '08, 10:00

Space Samurai wrote:It depends.

I use chawans for greens, whites, and blacks, and they're all about 10 oz, but I only make tea 7-8 oz.

For Puerh and oolong I have various cups, 1 oz, 2 oz, and 4 oz, depending on my mood. For example, when I make TGY, I tend to decant the whole pot into a 4 oz cup, but if I'm reviewing a tea, I'll use one of the small tasting cups.

For chai I have a 16 oz mug.

My favorite cup is the Seiryu Ippuku from zencha.

God Space, I keep drooling over you cup!! I just re-read the article in AofT about Celadon and have grown to appreciate it more. If not celadon, which style is it?

It's story: I saw it, fell in love with it, had to have it. Worked a helluva long week (I say week, it was like 12 days without a day off), so that I could get the overtime to pay for it. It was worth it.

My very close second favorite 'cup' is my kuro raku matcha bowl.

I sent a vendor a picture of what I was looking for, and he found this one for me. I love it quite a bit and think its perfect.

The difference in sizes:

Feb 23rd, '08, 10:21

by Cinnamon Kitty » Feb 23rd, '08, 10:21

My favorite mug is 16 oz. It says "Rocket Scientist" on it and goes everywhere with me when I travel. Somehow, I have yet to kill it. I have other mugs of varying sizes, but this one is the best.

As all my good teas and brewing equipment were packed, I went with some more Vanilla Rooibos to have my mango slices for breakfast. I get to go back to school today after the fun week with Mom in the hospital. My friends have said they miss my random trips down to the hall to the bathroom with an armful of tea equipment. The floor is somehow less interesting without tea leaves clogging the sinks.

Feb 23rd, '08, 11:37

by TimeforTea » Feb 23rd, '08, 11:37

I use a cup that is 5-6 ounces. Any bigger, and I wouldn't enjoy it, because the tea would get too cold. Any smaller, and I would run out of tea too quickly. This may sound silly, but I don't like having tea out of my 8 oz coffee mugs. The simplier the cup, the better.

Today I had sencha from a Harney & Sons sachet. I'm on my second "dunk" right now (got a late start to my tea drinking today).

Last night, when I could not sleep (drank too much tea too late in the evening), I ordered Den's yutori and guricha. (Thank you Chip and Cinnamon Kitty for your recommendations!!) And I raise my 5 ounce tea cup to Den's for only charging $3 for shipping!

Edit: My tea cup collection consists of the 2 cups I received with my zarafina :oops: machine. I wouldn't mind adding a cup or two. What web sites do you recommend where I can get Asian-style tea cups for a reasonable price?
Last edited by TimeforTea on Feb 23rd, '08, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 23rd, '08, 11:54

by Victoria » Feb 23rd, '08, 11:54

I like glass cups and mugs so the beautiful colors of my oolongs can be clearly seen and appreciated! Ohhh and yes ... I like them BIG.

Probably my favorite cup is my Jumbo Cup from Adagio. I have several. The glass saucer bugged me though and I went on an extensive search to find the perfect wooden saucer.

I also like Adagio's 14oz glass mug - I use that one at work everyday. So my vote went to the 14oz group.
http://www.adagio.com/teaware/clarity_c ... 0c50adc85c

Feb 23rd, '08, 11:58

by TimeforTea » Feb 23rd, '08, 11:58

Victoria's Own wrote:I like glass cups and mugs so the beautiful colors of my oolongs can be clearly seen and appreciated! Ohhh and yes ... I like them BIG.

Probably my favorite cup is my Jumbo Cup from Adagio. I have several. The glass saucer bugged me though and I went on an extensive search to find the perfect wooden saucer.

I also like Adagio's 14oz glass mug - I use that one at work everyday. So my vote went to the 14oz group.
http://www.adagio.com/teaware/clarity_c ... 0c50adc85c
Nice, Victoria!! Simple and elegant! Have you tried a flowering tea in the glass jumbo cup?

Feb 23rd, '08, 11:59

by cloudyday » Feb 23rd, '08, 11:59

While the majority of my cups are around 6oz, my favorite is about 10oz: my Kasho Yasuho cup

Anyways, drinking some Tung Ting this fine Saturday while skipping around some various blogs and news sites. Have a great day everyone.

Feb 23rd, '08, 12:00

by TimeforTea » Feb 23rd, '08, 12:00

Space Samurai wrote:My favorite cup is the Seiryu Ippuku from zencha.

WOW! That's not a cup. It's a work of art!!! It's beautiful.