Blue Monday Banned, TeaDay Declared, 2.25.08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

So, as you gain experience drinking TEA, are your pots and cups getting bigger or smaller or staying the same size?

My pots and cups are getting smaller in size
24%
My pots are getting smaller but my cups are staying the same size
16%
My pots are getting smaller but my cups are getting larger in size
2%
My pots and cups are staying the same size
39%
My pots are staying the same size but my cups are geting smaller in size
2%
Mypots are staying the same size but my cups are getting larger in size
2%
My pots and cups are getting larger in size
2%
My pots are getting larger but my cups are getting smaller in size
No votes
My pots are getting larger but my cups are staying the same size
No votes
Other
14%

Total votes: 51

Feb 25th, '08, 13:11

Re: monday rant

by Pentox » Feb 25th, '08, 13:11

Salsero wrote: On another note: In today's poll Chip has slipped us one of his famous trick questions. Actually, everyone's teaware is "getting bigger." The universe is expanding, so all of our teaware is constantly growing in size.
I'm not sure how I see your reasoning on that. Since the universe is expanding, the size of the cups in relationship to the universe is shrinking, so therefore they would all be shrinking. The cup is not growing larger in proportion with the universe.

Feb 25th, '08, 13:14

by olivierco » Feb 25th, '08, 13:14

The universe is expanding, so all of our teaware is constantly growing in size.
I don't think so: universe expansion concerns only distance between objects, not their size.

Three good light steeps of Xian ming right now.

Feb 25th, '08, 13:18
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 25th, '08, 13:18

olivierco wrote:I don't think so: universe expansion concerns only distance between objects, not their size.
By this reasoning, are not the atoms within the teaware increasing in distance from one another, thereby causing the teaware to increase in capacity, diameter, and other meaningful ways?

Feb 25th, '08, 13:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Feb 25th, '08, 13:22

olivierco wrote:universe expansion concerns only distance between objects
Oh dear, this could be bad news if it renders the distance between my pot and my cup too great for those 5 second steeps!

Feb 25th, '08, 13:26

by olivierco » Feb 25th, '08, 13:26

padre wrote:
olivierco wrote:I don't think so: universe expansion concerns only distance between objects, not their size.
By this reasoning, are not the atoms within the teaware increasing in distance from one another, thereby causing the teaware to increase in capacity, diameter, and other meaningful ways?
Correction: objects should be far enough.
Moreover forces that result from the expansion at an atomic scale are extremely low in comparison to the gravitational and non gravitational forces that structure an object.

Feb 25th, '08, 13:27

by GeoffK » Feb 25th, '08, 13:27

Gong fu baby!

Today though I had a big mug of Yunnan Jing (from Adagio) and then while waiting for my wife at the Dr I had a mighty leaf Hojicha which was surprisingly tasty.

Feb 25th, '08, 13:28

Re: monday rant

by tenuki » Feb 25th, '08, 13:28

Salsero wrote: On another note: In today's poll Chip has slipped us one of his famous trick questions. Actually, everyone's teaware is "getting bigger." The universe is expanding, so all of our teaware is constantly growing in size.
It really isn't an expansion in that sense Sal, the ruler is growing too... ;) Sort of like a slinky, it is the same slinky, but it gets 'bigger' and 'smaller' but it isn't exactly changing in 'size'. The expansion is in the 'size of space' not the 'size of objects'.

I chose other because it is different depending on the tea.

today I'm planning on some baozhong, just haven't poured it into my cup yet. :D
Last edited by tenuki on Feb 25th, '08, 13:45, edited 3 times in total.

Feb 25th, '08, 13:36
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Feb 25th, '08, 13:36

Woe for the day when the distance between tea molecules and the distance between cup molecules causes the tea to fall right through!

Feb 25th, '08, 13:53

by bearsbearsbears » Feb 25th, '08, 13:53

In general, my taste in pots is small and used to be larger. However, I bought pots of various sizes recently to make it easier to brew tea for multiple people.

Drinking a medium-fired gao shan oolong today. Switching to high-fired later.

Feb 25th, '08, 14:23

by olivierco » Feb 25th, '08, 14:23

Just now, before dinner, drinking Tamaryokucha (Palais des thés, still waiting for my o-cha order to arrive..).
After dinner, probably a rooibos will end my teaday.

Feb 25th, '08, 15:13

by Chip » Feb 25th, '08, 15:13

Hi Beth, welcome to TeaChat!!! Hope you come by and share your cup with us frequently.

I started the day with a blend...the last of my Yame sencha and added some Yutaka Midori to make a full session. Perfect together.

Since I emptied 2 senchas in the last few days, I had the pleasure of opening 2 senchas today. First I opened Daily Sencha from O-Cha, his only 2nd flush sencha. I can instantly see the difference in flushes. This is pale green, not nearly as vibrant. If it is not good alone, I will try it as a blender with teas like Karigane/kukicha and /or matcha.

The second one is Sencha Premium from hibiki-an. This is a traditional sencha, asamushi cha, light steamed.

My pots and cups quickly got smaller, leaving my with extremely infrequently used larger pots, Bodums, and cups. Everything now is geared mostly towards individual use...maximized multible steeping...and thus smaller is usually better for me.

Feb 25th, '08, 16:16

by Victoria » Feb 25th, '08, 16:16

Pretty much everything is the same for me so far. I have acquired a few smaller cups along the way, but I still am clinging tight to my big cup brewing routine. I like what I like.

My only brew on this day of errands was a TQY tea bag at local restaurant for breakfast. Feeling very deprived right now. Need to brew.

Feb 25th, '08, 16:18

by LavenderPekoe » Feb 25th, '08, 16:18

I am not really into tea ware. I use an ingenuitea that I have had for almost 3 years at work and a white ceramic pot my mom bought me a little over a year ago at home. I use whatever cup/mug I can. I don't have any other tea ware. Well, I do have a french press my boss bought me maybe 9 or ten years ago, but I don't use it since I got the ceramic pot.

I have been looking for a nice glass pot to replace my aging ingenutiea, however, but I am not finding one to my liking.

As for what I have been drinking today:

CocoMint green
Casablanca twist
Tao of tea's Lychee black
Pouchong

Feb 25th, '08, 17:31

by Ladytiger » Feb 25th, '08, 17:31

I can't really say that my teaware have gotten smaller or bigger because I haven't been 'hardcore' that long, but I did buy a discounted Starbucks gift thingy left over from Valentine's day that had a huge cup with it.
My first tea today was suppose to be Irish Breakfast but the ingneuiTEA decided it wasn't going to behave any longer so the filter floated to the top and I didn't have anytime to fix it and brew it again. So, when I came home today, I ordered from Den's I called to order and the woman that answered the phone was really nice. ANYWAY, milk oolong up next!