Monday is fantastic TeaDay, 3.03.08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The China TeaSyndrome, be honest, has all the concerns about Chinese food and consumer products last year affected your Chinese Tea consumption?

Yes, extremely
7%
Yes
12%
Maybe
9%
No, I don't believe so
31%
Definately not
31%
Other/don't know
10%

Total votes: 58

Mar 3rd, '08, 02:28
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday is fantastic TeaDay, 3.03.08

by Chip » Mar 3rd, '08, 02:28

Another TeaWeek is upon us, Spring is around the corner, and so are Spring Harvests of Camelia sinensis!

Welcome to TeaDay, I think this is going to be a remarkable week on TeaDay. Stop by throughout the day and share what is in your cup, see what other TeaChatters are sipping, and join in the discussion of the day. Lots of fun, but also very interesting learning as we go.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic should raise a few eyebrows. It is a sensitive subject. I call it the China TeaSyndrome. Is there a melt down in the consumption of Chinese TEA. Has the situation affected your consumption of Chinese Tea? In case you have lived in a cave for the last year or so, I am refering to the concerns raised regarding Chinese food products and consumer goods...words like pesticides, lead, and Chinese Tea have been used too many times in the same sentence.

So, what say you TeaChatters? Weigh in on the subject as you share what is in your cup. Check back later to respond to others' comments.

Have a great TeaDay everyone...

Mar 3rd, '08, 03:27

by tenuki » Mar 3rd, '08, 03:27

late night, still on the wonderful legend of Tung Ting from teahome.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 3rd, '08, 04:19

by Trey Winston » Mar 3rd, '08, 04:19

My tea drinking has not been affected by the many items of bad news. Of course, I'm kind of hoping they're not putting lead in my Dragon Well.

Mar 3rd, '08, 07:40

by Warden Andy » Mar 3rd, '08, 07:40

My tea consumption is still mostly Chinese tea. I wouldn't be as likely to brew cheap low quality Chinese tea, but I don't think there is anything to worry about for good quality teas from reputable vendors. I just have a hard time believing that the producers of high quality tea would overuse pesticides. Although, if it does turn out that a good percentage of my leaf has pesticides, I would still drink it, and just start rinsing more.

By the way, in order for plants to absorb lead from the soil, there would have to be a lot of lead in the soil. Maybe it could from air pollution, but I'm a bit skeptical about that too. If the air had that much lead, you would think that people living there would be dropping like flies. Also, I don't think the plant will absorb everything in the air, just a small percentage of it.

Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about with the exception of plants absorbing lead from the soil. The other things are guesses.

Drinking my morning gourd of rosamonte regular. Will pull out the gaiwan after to get my daily supply of pesticides and lead.

Mar 3rd, '08, 08:21

by caradrake » Mar 3rd, '08, 08:21

Warden wrote:My tea consumption is still mostly Chinese tea. I wouldn't be as likely to brew cheap low quality Chinese tea, but I don't think there is anything to worry about for good quality teas from reputable vendors. I just have a hard time believing that the producers of high quality tea would overuse pesticides. Although, if it does turn out that a good percentage of my leaf has pesticides, I would still drink it, and just start rinsing more.
This is basically how I feel! It's the poor quality toys/products that I am most concerned over. I don't think "OMG it's from China! It must be covered in lead!" I believe that Adagio sells only top quality teas and have no problem continuing to purchase China-grown teas from them.
Warden wrote:
By the way, in order for plants to absorb lead from the soil, there would have to be a lot of lead in the soil. Maybe it could from air pollution, but I'm a bit skeptical about that too. If the air had that much lead, you would think that people living there would be dropping like flies. Also, I don't think the plant will absorb everything in the air, just a small percentage of it.
This is neat to know. Thanks for sharing :)

Mar 3rd, '08, 09:29

by TimeforTea » Mar 3rd, '08, 09:29

I've purchased both but I'd prefer to purchase Japanese tea.

This morning I had silver needles.

Mar 3rd, '08, 10:21

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 3rd, '08, 10:21

Warden wrote:I wouldn't be as likely to brew cheap low quality Chinese tea, but I don't think there is anything to worry about for good quality teas from reputable vendors. I just have a hard time believing that the producers of high quality tea would overuse pesticides. Although, if it does turn out that a good percentage of my leaf has pesticides, I would still drink it, and just start rinsing more.
I fully agree with you on this issue, except I tend to lean more towards Japanese tea so it doesn't bother me as much as the Chinese tea drinkers. If it is a problem, then it would be like mercury levels in fish where you should only consume a certain amount.

This morning is being started with Den's guricha. It's awesome.
Victoria's Own wrote:Glad you are feeling better CK!
I didn't get a chance to respond yesterday, but thanks, Victoria.

Mar 3rd, '08, 10:56

by jogrebe » Mar 3rd, '08, 10:56

Regardless Puerh is here to stay for me. Worse case I can always switch to wild puerh only, as even if they are over pesticides dusting the farms I doubt they will bother to do the same to the forests. But outside of that I have been drinking more Japanese green teas, but that is more from discovering Fukamushi Sencha and really loving it.

So far no tea yet today but I'm in the process of filling up my liter thermos up with ripe puerh in preparation for a long day of two 3 hour classes today.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 3rd, '08, 10:58

by olivierco » Mar 3rd, '08, 10:58

I don't think I had changed my tea habits because of any Chinese Tea syndrome.

I have been drinking slightly less Chinese tea for a year, but it is mainly because I like more and more Japanese greens, especially gyokuro.

I buy my tea at stores with good reputation, which gives me a 99% confidence on the safety of the Chinese tea I drink.

This morning Yunnan unleaded golden tips. Houjicha for my lunch break. Now, right after a good working day, Hatsumi sencha (o-cha)

Mar 3rd, '08, 11:02

by daughteroftheKing » Mar 3rd, '08, 11:02

All the news the past year or so about some Chinese factories putting poisons in dogfood, toothpaste, and children's toys, has come at a time when I'm starting to really enjoy more oolong teas. Such timing. My hope is that our main tea suppliers (Adagio, etc.) keep a close eye and occasionally test their products.

So I'm trying more Japanese teas, and I've always liked Darjeelings, but I'm not quite ready to quit all Chinese tea.

This morning had Oooh Darjeeling (Adagio's Indian tea processed as an oolong), and now at work steeping Monk's Blend (from Let's Do Tea).
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Mar 3rd, '08, 13:22

by Victoria » Mar 3rd, '08, 13:22

daughteroftheKing wrote:...This morning had Oooh Darjeeling (Adagio's Indian tea processed as an oolong), and now at work steeping Monk's Blend (from Let's Do Tea).
I almost went for the Monk's Blend, but Dong Ding was calling me this morning.

Have a lovely day all!

Mar 3rd, '08, 13:43

by JM » Mar 3rd, '08, 13:43

For good or bad, I have stoped buying my green tea from China. It started after I read an article about the potential danger of tilapia [fish] do to tilapia farming in toxic waters, I started to wonder what kind of laws the Chinese had in place about farming tea leaves...

* Tazo Awake this morning.

Mar 3rd, '08, 13:52

by Chip » Mar 3rd, '08, 13:52

Drinking Sencha Premium as my first tea of the day...a very giving Uji sencha. I have started each day with this one since I have opened it, that is rare consistancy for me, one who craves...lives for variety.

The China TeaSyndrome...I have been a member of this forum for almost 2 years. I have observed an increase in Japanese tea discussions...and I have to assume consumption during that time has also increased.

My personal consumption of Japanese teas has spiked during this time. I used to consume Chinese teas around 80% of the time or more, now it is 20% or less. I love Japanese teas though, but the concerns have certainly contributed to my own personal tea habits. I will likely have a Chinese tea today though.

My own personal views have been documented on the forum. I personally feel that more diligence by everyone is required or nothing will change. I believe the situation is real to a certain degree. I have a friend in China...works in the Chinese tea industry. I was told that often when a tea flunks a stringent EU lab test (usually German, very strict) the tea is often marketed here in the USA. This is real, not simply speculation.

Testing on more levels is needed. To rely strictly on the government to test a certain percentage of tea is not the final solution. I personally feel that consumers need to be more involved on some level. I am trying to get more involved.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 3rd, '08, 14:10

by Samovar » Mar 3rd, '08, 14:10

All of my flavored greens are china based. In fact, my comsumption of china teas has increased.

Samovar

Mar 3rd, '08, 17:59

by Ladytiger » Mar 3rd, '08, 17:59

I don't that the problems with China have really have effected the tea that I get from China.
Today I was going to start out with Earl Grey Bravo but I accidentally left it at home. I came how to see that the sample of Den's Tea Sakura Sencha that I requested from CinnamonKitty came. It smells so clean and like spring! I haven't tasted it yet, but it wont be long before I do!