Wednesday, gimme TeaDay, 3/12/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

On a scale of 1-5, how much do you enjoy brewing TEA?

1: Throw a bag in the water and shuddup you TeaWussies.
No votes
2: I guess I need to brew it to drink it.
28%
3: I honestly enjoy brewing TEA.
54%
4: Brewing TEA is a highlight of my TeaDay.
4%
5: Wow, I truly love to brew Tea as much as I enjoy drinking TEA.
14%

Total votes: 50

Mar 12th, '08, 13:34

by Pentox » Mar 12th, '08, 13:34

I marked 3 since I swing to both extremes. It's always a matter of time and place.

Today i'm starting off with some Lupicia Cookie.

Mar 12th, '08, 13:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 12th, '08, 13:34

I am enjoying brewing Sencha Premium, and drinking it as I go through several steeps. As I drink one steep, I enjoy brewing the next. Brewing the 5th steep which takes a while....................................................................
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 12th, '08, 13:55

by TimeforTea » Mar 12th, '08, 13:55

daughteroftheKing wrote:Teasweetie: I hope your pup is going to be ok.
Thank you. Most likely it's osteosarcoma. :cry:

Mar 12th, '08, 14:35

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 12th, '08, 14:35

I like brewing tea. I enjoy rooting through my tea drawer, picking a tea, and smelling the leaves as I put them in whatever I am using to make tea. I don't like getting the water for the tea since the Brita system, which is already held together with duct tape, leaks even more after being dropped a second time. I also do not enjoy the cleaning process, or the waiting for the right amount of steeping. Therefore, I picked number 3 since it really is not the highlight of my day and I definitely do not enjoy it as much as drinking the tea.

This morning's teas were one mug of peppermint tea and one mug of darjeeling #22. You know you are in college when you go around with a clear travel mug of black tea and have someone ask if it is "stale beer." Now I switched to chocolate black tea with a pinch of peppermint and a dab of honey. Hopefully it will taste as good as the combination sounds.

Mar 12th, '08, 16:34

by olivierco » Mar 12th, '08, 16:34

An other nice teaday is ending. I even managed to find some time for cooking.

Houjicha, houjicha karigane (both from Ippodo)

Five excellent steeps of Uji Gyokuro Kame Giru Shi.

Jasmine pearls and a Chinese green (Xue Ha)

Mar 12th, '08, 16:58

by tmikuckis » Mar 12th, '08, 16:58

I voted 3, it seems like the brewing part is just part of the whole process of making and enjoying tea. At least for me it is
tea

Mar 12th, '08, 17:40

by Chip » Mar 12th, '08, 17:40

Number 2 tea today is a little disappointing. Pentox sent me some Lupicia Guricha, 4 types actually, that he did not like despite numerous attempts. These are from southern Japan, prefectures I have yet to sample. They also claim they are single plantation teas...pretty unusual for Japan.

The one I had yesterday was pretty decent, light and sweet. It was technically Kamairi Cha from Gokase, Miyazaki prefecture. It is produced much like Chinese green tea and is not steamed. It was similar to many Chinese greens I have had but better than most.

Today's sampling from Ureshino in Saga prefecture of Japan was a steamed Guricha...Tamaryokucha. But I was not impressed. Though it had a nice aroma, the taste was hard to enjoy. I will play around with this before giving up on it. (I might actually pan fire this for around 10 seconds or so...might bring something out)

I could see this being a blender, but on its own, not too certain. Sometimes single estate teas are superb, other times they are better off blended with something else to create a decent tea.

Mar 12th, '08, 17:55

by Victoria » Mar 12th, '08, 17:55

I have some new Bodum cups, but no pictures to share yet!

I thought I'd try the Adagio Red Flower blooming tea this afternoon as a treat.
Ummm that is one nasty tea. Sorry for the bad report.

Mar 12th, '08, 18:08

by Chip » Mar 12th, '08, 18:08

Victoria wrote:I have some new Bodum cups, but no pictures to share yet!

I thought I'd try the Adagio Red Flower blooming tea this afternoon as a treat.
Ummm that is one nasty tea. Sorry for the bad report.
Knowing you, I bet those are big cups!!!

Mar 12th, '08, 18:36

by Victoria » Mar 12th, '08, 18:36

Yes, 15oz Bodum Latte cups to be exact!

Mar 12th, '08, 18:42

by TimeforTea » Mar 12th, '08, 18:42

Victoria wrote:Yes, 15oz Bodum Latte cups to be exact!
I'd like to have a couple of more mugs that size, since I drink that much with my herbal and rooibos beverages. Where did you get them, and are they simple white or glass?

PS-hope you knew I was only joking when I posted the picture of a clothes pin for you when you didn't like the smell of that tea the other day! :wink:

Mar 12th, '08, 18:42

by tenuki » Mar 12th, '08, 18:42

Red Blossom order came today, so getting a chance to compare the 2007 winter alishan sample they threw in to my teahome alishan stash. months old daily teahome wins hands down, but the red blossom is actually ok, if a bit weak. the teahome alishan can go for a lot of brews and recovers from a overbrew, the red blossom is definitely done after 3 brews. But the RB leaves are prettier. :)
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 12th, '08, 18:49

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 12th, '08, 18:49

I can certainly say that I love brewing just as much as drinking. I feel with tea and many other things in life, the journey getting somewhere and looking forward to something is almost as good, if not better, than when it actually happens. It is really hard to truly appreciate something in the moment as it is occurring and I feel that brewing tea is just a really nice anticipation up to the culmination of drinking it. I love the process of going to my tea cabinet, pulling out the container of choice, putting the leaves in my brewing vessel, pouring water over the leaves and waiting.

*Today it has just been some Organic Kukicha all day nice and green and very sweet.....hardly any astringency

Mar 12th, '08, 19:30

by augie » Mar 12th, '08, 19:30

Brewing is part of the fun for me. Even if I do it all wrong.

Mar 12th, '08, 21:52

by witches brew » Mar 12th, '08, 21:52

I enjoy brewing the tea, simply because it gives me a minute or two to focus before sitting down to sip my tea.

Today was an eclectic tea day, starting with a couple cups of rooibos, followed midday by an orange tisane, and ending with a sample of decaf sencha that may not quite taste like the real thing, but I can enjoy it without bringing on a headache.