Saturday must be TeaDay, 3/15/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

You are out to eat, what are you most likely to drink?

Water
55%
Soft drink
9%
Alcoholic beverage
9%
Tea
23%
Coffee
No votes
Fruit Juice
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 47

Mar 15th, '08, 15:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Mar 15th, '08, 15:18

If I'm to able get good beer, ale, wine, cider, whiskey or fruit juice then that is what I usually choose.

I'm never really in a position whereby I can order tea with a meal and know that I won't turn into an insufferable tea bore or have more internal dialogue that I can be bothered with. I'm fairy confident I can order top notch alcoholic beverages or freshly squeezed fruit juice and be very happy with my choice as it's often better than what I've got in the house.

Mar 15th, '08, 15:35

by Chip » Mar 15th, '08, 15:35

Sorry Mary, forgot about that one. :shock:

Ono Tokusen Sencha in my cup...2nd attempt since opening this yesterday. Yesterday was a flop, today it is a little better, but I am struggling trying to find the groove with this one. I think around 33 bucks for this unusual offering, but as I look at the leaf and contemplate the brew, I cannot help but wonder if this is 2nd flush sencha. It certainly does not look like the picture which is rich green, this has that pale green leaf that I would expect from a 2nd flush.

If I am out to eat, I order water right away. Later, I may ask for hot water for tea, rarely drinking house tea. But water is a must. I rarely drink anything else when I go out to eat.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 15th, '08, 15:40

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 15th, '08, 15:40

This is a tough question since it all depends on where I am going to eat. If I go to an Oriental Restaurant, I am very comfortable with ordering the house tea. If am going out to breakfast, I get hot water and bring my own tea leaves. Pending on the style of the restaurant for dinner, I order either wine or soda, but most of the time a nice glass of wine.

I started with Den's Sencha Fuka-Midori today. It will be a green tea day all day hopefully.

Mar 15th, '08, 16:00

by Chip » Mar 15th, '08, 16:00

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:This is a tough question since it all depends on where I am going to eat. If I go to an Oriental Restaurant, I am very comfortable with ordering the house tea.
I started with Den's Sencha Fuka-Midori today. It will be a green tea day all day hopefully.
Even the Asian restuarants around here cannot brew tea...they do not seem to make the effort.

Sounds like a great idea, Cinnamon Kitty...Green Tea Day...practice for Monday, St Patty's Day.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 15th, '08, 16:43

by tenuki » Mar 15th, '08, 16:43

Starting out with some 1998 Aged Formosa Bai Hao Oolong from Hou De.

I didn't like this when I initially tasted it, so I put it up on the shelf and forgot about it. Yesterday I had to move it to make room for my new Tokoname pot, so this morning it was sitting next to the kettle. I remembered my brew times and thoughts from before so tried more leaf and shorter times. Great result, I'm really enjoying it today. (gong fu style, leaves 3/4 in gaiwan when dry, fuji water, boiling, 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds after a quick rinse)

Mar 15th, '08, 16:54

by Orange Crush » Mar 15th, '08, 16:54

Mary R wrote:Argh! Chip! I can't believe you didn't go with something "Ides of March" themed for the poll today! So sad for me...it's my favorite holiday.

If I don't remember Roman political assassinations, who will? Shakespeare? As if! 8)

[Do you think Mary needs to lay off the sugar? I do! Bad Starbursts!]
Lol on my calendar at work I wrote "BEWARE" in big red letters on today's date. No one understood it without an explanation. :(

Mar 15th, '08, 17:02

by omegapd » Mar 15th, '08, 17:02

Teasweetie wrote:
Not to get off subject here...but my dad tells me that since he moved to the south, he always has to ask for a straw when he orders iced tea, but when he lived up north, he always got a straw. What's that all about?
I don't know. I guess most men don't look like they'd want a straw :?: :lol:

Mar 15th, '08, 17:19

by Victoria » Mar 15th, '08, 17:19

What's up with bringing straws with water, is what I want to know.

The second steep of the Harney wasn't so good, so I've moved on to some more of that lovely Den's Sakura.

Mar 15th, '08, 17:23

by tenuki » Mar 15th, '08, 17:23

Victoria wrote:What's up with bringing straws with water, is what I want to know.
Cooties!!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 15th, '08, 17:30

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 15th, '08, 17:30

Haha, nice vid!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 15th, '08, 17:32

by Chip » Mar 15th, '08, 17:32

tenuki wrote:
Victoria wrote:What's up with bringing straws with water, is what I want to know.
Cooties!!
That is for the "coke"... :twisted:

Really disgusted with the so called "high grade sencha " and moved onto Guricha which is agreeable...

Mar 15th, '08, 17:50

by JM » Mar 15th, '08, 17:50

I like a classic ale with my meal and a bourbon or scotch after.

~ English Breakfast, Rooibos and who knows latter.

Mar 15th, '08, 17:57

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 15th, '08, 17:57

I picked water. It's free, it's a mindless choice, and there's no food I know of that clashes with it.

That said, I won't turn down wine (when I'm with my father, anyway-- I haven't studied it enough to pick out anything decent), and I'll have a beer with dinner if a) I see something that looks good or b) my fellow diners are doing the same.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 15th, '08, 20:53

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 15th, '08, 20:53

Good day everyone! I really love eating at Japanese restaraunts so I always opt for their house tea. It is cheap and usually pretty good and typically pairs with the cuisine quite well also.

*This morning I started off with 2 cups of jasmine dragon pearls (the ones that are actually dried over the blooming jasmine flowers, not just stored with dried flowers), and I am finishing the day with some premium sencha! All brewed in the 4oz gaiwan.

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 15th, '08, 20:54

by tenuki » Mar 15th, '08, 20:54

Moving on to another aged oolong, this time an unroasted 1982 Wenshan Baozhong from Red Blossom. So far it is very nice, but the strong smokey/roast aftertaste of the Bao Hai I just finished drinking, which wasn't really done after 8 or so brewings, is interfering. I'm gonna try this again tomorrow morning on a fresh palette.

ps. I am still tasting that part of the aftertaste of that Bao Hai, even after a meal, some coffee, and about 3 hours. If it wasn't so pleasant I would be annoyed.

[edit] I've decided I don't like this aged baozhong right now. Sure, it's ok, but given the price it's not complex or interesting enough. It has this pleasant sourness which I like, but the description from RB is totally different than this tea. I'm gonna try their brewing instructions next time, gong fu just isn't bringing out anything interesting at all.