FRIDAY!!! TeaDay!!! 3/21/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Oh PU...Pu-erh that is. Let's branch out from yesterday's theme a little. Pu-erh is a buzzz aound TeaChat, but have you tried it?

Yes, I love the stuff more days than not
15%
Yes, I have it occasionally
21%
Yes, I have tried it, and I liked it, but have not had it since
4%
Yes, I tried it, and I did not like it
19%
No, I have not tried it but have been wanting to...
19%
No, I have not tried it, I do not know enough about it
15%
No, get that PU away from me, I am not interested in the least
8%
Other...
No votes

Total votes: 48

Mar 21st, '08, 12:00

by jogrebe » Mar 21st, '08, 12:00

daughteroftheKing wrote:Smoke is for BBQ, not my tea. I'm in awe of you who love pu-erh. First cup: tasted like a musty dusty old barn. Second cup: the barn had burned. :shock: If it's an acquired taste, I think I'll spend my time enjoying all the other wonderfully delicous teas in my cabinets. :)

This morning I had two infusions of Jade TiQuanYin (teaspring) in my brand new, first-ever gaiwan 8) . Yum. A little more green than I'd expected but slightly sweet, and I like it.
Now I'm onto White Darjeeling (adagio) with some Rosebuds tossed it.
I love Puerh but that Puerh that you've head does not sound like one that I would enjoy. It is possible to find good ripe puerh which is not musty, that is the stuff that I drink.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 21st, '08, 12:03

by jogrebe » Mar 21st, '08, 12:03

YES I love Puerh and it makes up around 50% or more of my overall tea intake. My avatar image is my yixing pot which is dedicated to ripe puerh.

So far today I've had some Fukamushi Sencha and I'm just now brewing some 2006 Banzhang King Imperial PUERH.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 21st, '08, 12:07

by TimeforTea » Mar 21st, '08, 12:07

No, I haven't tried it and I do not know enough about it. After reading Daughter of the king's description, I'd stay far away from it. Yet, after reading CynTEAa's description...might be something I'll try someday, once I get all my greens, light oolongs, and whites down to a "tea".

Drunk jasmine #12 oolong this morning; always enjoyable.

Mar 21st, '08, 12:11

by auggy » Mar 21st, '08, 12:11

CynTEAa wrote:auggy, what a cute avatar! :)
Thanks! He's Chichai Monchan (translates to Little Mr. Monkey basically), a Sanrio character. He's pink and he's a monkey so I love him. Yeah, I'm a dork! :D

Mar 21st, '08, 12:16

by insanitylater » Mar 21st, '08, 12:16

i'm interested in trying it but i wouldn't know where to begin :?

drinking the last of my yerba mate right now. i decided to not get anymore until i buy a gourd/bombilla. rest of the day will probably be bolero blend and i'll give snowbud white a try. any tips ?

on a sidenote the UtiliTEA kettle pussifed my hand because i can no longer pour boiling water out of the stovetop kettle we have. i had to use a paper towel :oops:

Mar 21st, '08, 12:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 21st, '08, 12:22

auggy wrote: This morning was white tip earl gray... Still trying to find a black I like a lot. Not working.
If you like oolongs you might try a darjeeling.
:o)

Mar 21st, '08, 12:35

by auggy » Mar 21st, '08, 12:35

Victoria wrote:
auggy wrote: This morning was white tip earl gray... Still trying to find a black I like a lot. Not working.
If you like oolongs you might try a darjeeling.
:o)
Thanks! They are supposed to have a lighter flavor, right?

Mar 21st, '08, 13:37

by omegapd » Mar 21st, '08, 13:37

hop_goblin wrote:Is that the stuff that comes in a cake, brick or a mushroom looking thing? :lol:
Or a can? :wink:

EW

Mar 21st, '08, 13:55

by Chip » Mar 21st, '08, 13:55

Sorry about the Poll today, there is a little glitch, not sure why. There are 2 identical first choices (which is actually the second choice, the true first choice is also gone...part of the glitch?) I am thinking a vote for one is a vote for both. When I go into edit, only one of the 2 identical choices shows up...that is very strange!!!

I have Pu-erh on rare occasion, not that I do not want to delve more deeply into the dark side...but I have purposely not jumped head first into it, because I sense I would need to devote a lot of time and financial resources into it...I just do not see myself as a casual pu drinker. All or virtually nothing. So, my green tea enjoyment would likely suffer.

Today, I am way too ignorant of pu to comfortably navigate the murky waters of pu.

About to have my first tea, hmmmm, maybe sencha??? :roll:

Mar 21st, '08, 15:08

by Orange Crush » Mar 21st, '08, 15:08

White monkey in my cup, part of my search for a green that doesn't smell like spinach (in green's defense, I've only tried one other and I suspect I used far too much leaf in that.)

I have a sample tin of pu erh that I just haven't gotten around to trying yet. My favorite teas are oolongs and good quality blacks, so I'm fairly certain I won't outright hate it.

Mar 21st, '08, 15:24

by cloudyday » Mar 21st, '08, 15:24

When I first read about pu-erh, including many pu-erh reviews, I thought that I would hate it. I mean, many words like hay, dirt, leather and so on…not usually flattering descriptive words to describe something you consume. But I tried it, and actually loved it…though I have to admit that I have put off trying raw pu-erh, since I don’t intend to stockpile bings for years or anything (though I know you can drink it young, it seems from what I’ve gathered it’s not always ideal), but I’ll get around to trying it someday.
But I drink ripe pu-erh fairly regularly - normally gongfu, so not everyday considering the time investment required.

Been drinking Makaibari today. First Silver Tips then 1st Flush.
MIKE

"Bio-units, terminate noise exchange. It is time for you to ingest sandwiches from my compartment." -Philip J. Fry, Futurama

Mar 21st, '08, 16:33

by hop_goblin » Mar 21st, '08, 16:33

omegapd wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:Is that the stuff that comes in a cake, brick or a mushroom looking thing? :lol:
Or a can? :wink:

EW
yeah I was kinda poking fun at myself. I am kind of like one of Teachat residents pu heads

Mar 21st, '08, 16:51

by olivierco » Mar 21st, '08, 16:51

Already the end of a nice teaday.

I am ending it with Darjeeling Puttabong S.F.T.G.F.O.P.1. (2007 harvest)
Some Darjeelings from 2008 harvest are already on sale, but for the good ones, we will have to wait some more weeks...

Mar 21st, '08, 18:21

by Chip » Mar 21st, '08, 18:21

Started with Sencha Tokusen and then a Kabuse cha Guri...very curious tea.

I am trying not to buy any sencha til Shincha, but I am getting low. I have a few bags to open, but nothing spectacular. I might open a gyokuro to help get me through. The sale going on at Den's is appealing... *Fights temptation to buy 168 grams of Fuka Maki* Having to buy 3 bags of one late season sencha is not so appealing though.

Mar 21st, '08, 18:54

by JM » Mar 21st, '08, 18:54

I've never tried it, once I find a black tea I can enjoy everyday [besides Earl Grey] I'll probably buy some.