Monday, TeaDay>>> 3/24/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today is Roy Bus' turn, Rooibus that is...have you had the other Red Tea?

Yes, I have Rooibus several times a day virtually every day
6%
Yes, I have Rooibus almost everyday
11%
Yes, I have Rooibus more days than not
9%
Yes, I have have Rooibus occasionally or rarely
36%
Yes, i have have tried Rooibus
21%
No, but I would certainly like to try Rooibus
11%
No, never tried it and do not plan to either
4%
Other
2%

Total votes: 47

Mar 24th, '08, 16:41

by Space Samurai » Mar 24th, '08, 16:41

My pot has arrived, and now I am drinking some roasted TGY from just4tea.

Mar 24th, '08, 17:16

by RussianSoul » Mar 24th, '08, 17:16

I drink Rooibos occasionally. When I do, it's in the evening when I want a cup of something and cannot take caffeine too close to the bedtime. It is usually Rooibos mixed with some fruit and berries, something that ended up in my collection because a friend gave it to me - I have not bought any myself. It is not my favorite drink. Maybe I have not yet found a Rooibos or a Rooibos blend that suites me.

I am having a lovely tea day. Had 3 steeps of Golden Monkey before noon. Then went to visit a friend who is also a tea person. There we had 3 steeps of Sencha Fukamushi I brought to share and 2 steeps of Houjicha he had. This was my first tasting of Houjicha and I loved it.

I also brought my Matcha Kaoru from O-Cha with me, but we were so buzzed with caffeine after the first two teas that it wasn't possible to drink Matcha.

Mar 24th, '08, 17:52

by cloudyday » Mar 24th, '08, 17:52

tenuki wrote:
witches brew wrote:
tenuki wrote:Rooibos? I thought this was _tea_ chat, not legume chat.
Biodiversity is important.
True, but I would generally go to 'biodiversity chat' for that. ;P
Well if you want to get specific, using your own criticism, we should call this place Leaf Chat. Considering a tea can be of any infusible organic substance, most usually from a plant of some kind (though there's also mushroom tea...I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're into that sort of thing).
Silly goose.

Anyways, I don't mind rooibos. I have it every once and a while, usually if I don't want caffeine messing with my ability to fall asleep easily.
MIKE

"Bio-units, terminate noise exchange. It is time for you to ingest sandwiches from my compartment." -Philip J. Fry, Futurama

Mar 24th, '08, 17:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 24th, '08, 17:56

cloudyday wrote:...we should call this place Leaf Chat.
What about kukicha/karigane and houjicha? :twisted:

"InfusableOrganicSubstanceBeverageChat.com" has a nice ring to it...

Back on the topic at hand, no, I've never tried rooibos. I probably will at some point, but it's not high on my to-do list.

Mar 24th, '08, 18:46

by Space Samurai » Mar 24th, '08, 18:46

Rooibos by itself tastes okay, kind of neutral. I guess that's why it is used for so many fruity blends, but those kind of concoctions just aren't my kind of thing.

Drinking some medium roasted tgy from Taiwan now.

Mar 24th, '08, 19:05

by tenuki » Mar 24th, '08, 19:05

cloudyday wrote:
tenuki wrote:
witches brew wrote:
tenuki wrote:Rooibos? I thought this was _tea_ chat, not legume chat.
Biodiversity is important.
True, but I would generally go to 'biodiversity chat' for that. ;P
Well if you want to get specific, using your own criticism, we should call this place Leaf Chat. Considering a tea can be of any infusible organic substance, most usually from a plant of some kind (though there's also mushroom tea...I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're into that sort of thing).
Silly goose.

Anyways, I don't mind rooibos. I have it every once and a while, usually if I don't want caffeine messing with my ability to fall asleep easily.
Well, if you want to dig down into tertiary meanings we have to include cattle¹, so now we are stuck with hot infusion chat, which sounds like some sort of new age group sex therapy or a Chick Corea fan club. No thank you. I prefer to think of tea as stuff that has to do with Camellia Sinensis, it saves me from beef tea².

'My criticism' is that I prefer to call tea after the plant, rather than any hot beverage created via infusion. So no, using my criticism would produce 'tea chat', nothing more nothing less. :roll:

[1] American Heritage Dictionary
[2] Beef Tea

( Lest anyone be confused, this is all good natured joking and a bit of a long standing one on teachat between me and myself mostly. :) )

Mar 24th, '08, 19:35

by tenuki » Mar 24th, '08, 19:35

the 90s select aged Nantou Oolong I started the day with has finally run out. Yum, gonna try even more leaves next time. Now on to a FLT 'farmers choice' Baozhong.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 24th, '08, 19:35

by TimeforTea » Mar 24th, '08, 19:35

scruffmcgruff wrote: "InfusableOrganicSubstanceBeverageChat.com" has a nice ring to it...
Does this mean that when Chip or Mary are at a party, they have to tell people that they are moderators for an InfusableOrganicSubstanceBeverageChat web site?? :lol:

Mar 24th, '08, 20:18

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 24th, '08, 20:18

Teasweetie wrote:...when Chip or Mary are at a party...
Good thing that won't ever happen, then! :twisted:
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 24th, '08, 20:40

by JM » Mar 24th, '08, 20:40

augie wrote:
JM wrote:The last month I've had Rooibos every day, hot and on ice.
Iced Roooibos? I have never thought about icing it down. hmmmm

How many here ice their rooibos? I'm not wild about all the floaties either, don't want them mixed with cubes. :-P
I normally use 5 or 6 of the vanilla Rooibos bags and steep them for 30 or 40 mins. in 6-8 cups of boiling water, three tablespoons of honey and stick it in the fridge. If I pour it over ice I'll steep a cup or so for 10 or 15 min. with a spoon of honey and pour it over ice.

When I drink it hot I like plain Rooibos with the bag in until it's gone, no honey.

Mar 24th, '08, 21:22

by Chip » Mar 24th, '08, 21:22

Do I need to remind everyone to play nice? :D Remember, Mary gets "delete happy" at times. :wink:

I am drinking the last of this batch of home pan fired Daily Sencha. I will extend this little experiment to a few other Japanese teas as well. I have liked the results and am learning as I go.

TeaScience should have been offered in school.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 24th, '08, 21:33

by Space Samurai » Mar 24th, '08, 21:33

Drinking some charcoal raoasted tung ting now.

Mar 24th, '08, 22:00

by Chip » Mar 24th, '08, 22:00

Is that all you are going to tell us, Space? Tell us a litle bit about your new roasted Oolongs that you have tried today!!! :idea:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 24th, '08, 22:18

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 24th, '08, 22:18

I am ending my Tea Day with some Provence Rooibos from Enjoying Tea. It is a combination of Rooibos, rosehips, dried black and red currants, rose petals, lavender, raisins, and dried blueberries. The flavor comes across as expected with a dominant berry taste with pleasant floral notes. This is the second time I have tried it so I still haven't figured out how much I like it yet, but it seems like good blend.

Mar 24th, '08, 22:45

by Space Samurai » Mar 24th, '08, 22:45

Chip wrote:Is that all you are going to tell us, Space? Tell us a litle bit about your new roasted Oolongs that you have tried today!!! :idea:
Well...the roasted tgy from just4tea is my favorite, the one I've mentioned here before. The second was a medium roasted from Rishi that came with my pot. Thea aroma was extraordinary and complex, but the brew is average. The tung ting is interesting and has nuances I don't usually find in roasted oolong.

Now I'm going to compare powdered sench and matcha next toe each other.