Thurzzzday, TeazzzDay 3/27/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

By request of Victoria, the TeaQuest is expanded to Oolong. So, where are you on the oolong scale, love it, never had it...somewhere in between, or maybe it is on your to try list?

Yes, I have it virtually everyday and truly love it...it is my fav
21%
Yes, I have it more days than not, love it, but it is not my fav
14%
Yes, I have it often, like it a lot
19%
Yes, I have had it
28%
Yes, I have had it but don't care for it
5%
Nope, haven't had it yet, but I certainly hope to soon
7%
Nope, haven't had it and have no plans to
4%
No, I prefer "wulong" to oolong ; )
2%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 57

Mar 27th, '08, 16:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 27th, '08, 16:49

2005 Wenshan Bao Zhong...in my gaiwan from Padre...

Brewing in a gaiwan definately suits green oolongs. This was really outstanding...well, still is. 3 steeps down and many more to come I suspect.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 27th, '08, 17:57

by daughteroftheKing » Mar 27th, '08, 17:57

Love oolong. It has become my favorite, but I'm not far enough along in my oolong education to know what's what yet (fired, rock, wuyi, TKY, etc.). Jasmine pearls, of course, is tops for me. Plus Adagio's TKY and Pouchong and a Jade TKY from teaspring. It has to be non-smokey and smooth for me.

Today, though, I've been taking in White Monkey (a green). And the weekly T@3 group just enjoyed Raspberry Green with White Darjeeling (to tone down the green but not cover up the raspberry since not all of them like green tea).

Lots of day left to enjoy lots of tea!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Mar 27th, '08, 18:20

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 27th, '08, 18:20

I have had several different types and did not like a single one. All were top notch and I just couldnt get into them. I even went as far as to wait a few months, try them again....still didnt like them.

*Today has only been iced tea.....it has been in the upper 70's here today and I was outside doing hydrology research. Have a great day everyone!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 27th, '08, 18:52

by auggy » Mar 27th, '08, 18:52

Speaking of oolongs, finishing the day with Tung Ting Jade. Good ending to a not so good day.

Mar 27th, '08, 19:17

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 27th, '08, 19:17

I prefer the taste (and variety of tastes) of oolongs, and I appreciate the immense craftsmanship that goes into making them-- AFAIK they are the most difficult teas to produce. My favorite teas are almost all oolongs.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 27th, '08, 19:24

by henley » Mar 27th, '08, 19:24

Been lurking more than chatting lately as I'm working on a project for my 10 yr anniversary coming next month.

Oolong & black are the only teas I drink. Still learning about them but I like the ones closer to black tea than green. Had pomegranate oolong today w/bfast.

Mar 27th, '08, 20:43

by Space Samurai » Mar 27th, '08, 20:43

I love oolong more than I love drinking it. The variety is amazing, nothing else I know of in the world of tea compares to it. And the leaves are so beautiful and photogenic, long and wiry yancha to tighlty rolled three-leaf clusters.

Now that I gave up on gong fu and have a regular pot, I'm drinking more oolong again. It is probably my second favorite tea.

Right now I'm drinking some medium roasted TGY from Rishi:

http://anotherteablog.blogspot.com/2008 ... asted.html

Mar 27th, '08, 21:35

by Chip » Mar 27th, '08, 21:35

Space Samurai wrote:I love oolong more than I love drinking it. The variety is amazing, nothing else I know of in the world of tea compares to it. And the leaves are so beautiful and photogenic, long and wiry yancha to tighlty rolled three-leaf clusters.

Now that I gave up on gong fu and have a regular pot, I'm drinking more oolong again. It is probably my second favorite tea.

Right now I'm drinking some medium roasted TGY from Rishi:

http://anotherteablog.blogspot.com/2008 ... asted.html
WOW, Space, I clicked on the picture of just the TKY from your blog...did you see that. Amazing picture especially when it is full screen. Anyway, here is Space's blog photo of TKY...check out the color spectrum.
Space's TKY Photo Hope you don't mind Space!

I trickled through the Wenshan...5-6 steeps. Not quite the staying power of a rolled oolong, but this is an old Wenshan that has been sitting around here for 27 months and is almost 3 years old. Oolong, even green oolong, amazes me in this regard.

To add to what has been already said about the artistry, etc of oolong, I am always amazed when a teaspoon or 2 of a tightly rolled oolong ends up stuffing my pot/gaiwan til I am finally done resteeping.

Oolongs are truly amazing teas in virtually every respect. Consistency going from oolong to oolong of the same name, etc. is my main issue with them, but I have to be real, that is true with most types of teas anyway.

Had 5 steeps of a Kabuse (shaded) Guricha from Pentox...it is good, but at the end of the day, it is just guricha.

Mar 27th, '08, 21:55

by RussianSoul » Mar 27th, '08, 21:55

Talking about Guricha, I am finishing up the third steep of Guricha from Den's. This tea is so close in taste and aroma to Sencha Fukamushi I have, that it is mind boggling. Is it supposed to be that close? If I had to do a double blind tasting test, I would not tell them apart.

Mar 27th, '08, 22:05

by Space Samurai » Mar 27th, '08, 22:05

Chip: not at all.

Russian Soul: that's a little odd.

Finishng the night with some rather hum drum da hong pao.