tuesday, TEADAY, 4/01/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I have just received a report from the USDA from a tea importer friend of mine. All tea imports from China are to be placed in quarantine for at least 6 months. Will this cause you to switch to Japanese teas?

I already drink almost exclusively Japanese green tea
31%
Yes, I will finally make the switch to Japanese green teas
10%
No, I will not make the switch, I will hoard Chinese teas and wait out the quarrantine
24%
No, I would sooner drink lawn clipping brew
8%
I am shocked and have no idea what I will do...or Other
27%

Total votes: 49

Apr 1st, '08, 10:14

by henley » Apr 1st, '08, 10:14

:shock: I think in light of today's announcement, I shall no longer drink tea regardless of it's country of origin. You can never be too careful. The oolong #40 w/bfast this morning shall be the last tea I drink as I'm dumping all my teas out immediately.

:lol: Don't cha love April Fool's Day

Apr 1st, '08, 10:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Apr 1st, '08, 10:14

*Gasp* a quarantine?!? NOOOOOOOOOO......

:wink: (maybe the extra drama will get me unbanned?)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Apr 1st, '08, 10:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by fencerdenoctum » Apr 1st, '08, 10:31

Chinese tea quarantine?

Thats it. I'm going to stop drinking tea altogether. Its been great knowing you all.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

Apr 1st, '08, 10:47

by xine » Apr 1st, '08, 10:47

D'OH!

Apr 1st, '08, 11:16

by daughteroftheKing » Apr 1st, '08, 11:16

Chip - Really? NOT an April Fool's joke?? Wow.

Guess I'll enjoy what I have a that'll be it. Great news for the Japanese & Indian tea markets. Guess we shouldn't be all that surprised with all the safety concerns over Chinese products into the US.

Started with, and resteeping, Oooh Darjeeling. Got my great Darjeeling with the Oolong processing. I can live with that for the rest of my life.

Since I never got around to stopping by yesterday -- Happy Birthday, Chip!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Apr 1st, '08, 11:43

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 1st, '08, 11:43

So if we join together and contact the Chinese vendors now, we could easily get a black market Chinese tea trade going to keep the tea drinkers in the U.S. satisfied. I'm thinking that we get people to stand on street corners in trench coats, opening the flaps at people passing by to show little packets of tea pinned inside. It would be like <insert low whisper voice> "hey buddy, want some Long Jing? Maybe some white tea or an oolong? It's all fresh, straight from China, cheap too."

Today's starting tea is the last of my white tip oolong sample. Thankfully, I think my order of more white tip oolong is waiting for me in school mail room.

Apr 1st, '08, 12:09

by TimeforTea » Apr 1st, '08, 12:09

This morning I drank a sample of TKY.

Yes, I fell for the April Fool's joke... You got me... Didn't think you guys would do that! :wink:

Looking forward to brewing some Japanese green tea in a couple of hours when I have a chance...
Last edited by TimeforTea on Apr 1st, '08, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 1st, '08, 12:22

by olivierco » Apr 1st, '08, 12:22

Back from work drinking Ippodo houjicha karigane.

Apr 1st, '08, 12:49

by daughteroftheKing » Apr 1st, '08, 12:49

[quote="Cinnamon Kitty"] I'm thinking that we get people to stand on street corners in trench coats, opening the flaps at people passing by to show little packets of tea pinned inside. It would be like <insert low whisper voice> "hey buddy, want some Long Jing? Maybe some white tea or an oolong? It's all fresh, straight from China, cheap too."quote]

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Apr 1st, '08, 13:39

by scotty X » Apr 1st, '08, 13:39

fools or not, i'm all about the black market suggestion. resist the tyranny of the global capitalist market! tea drinkers of the world - UNITE! i'd jump at the chance to smuggle pouchong, long jing, silver and golden needles, ti guanyin, and the rest of their crew. why didn't we think of this sooner??

a very large pot of pu-erh has rescued my day from almost certain disaster, and hopefully inakacha will see me through the evening so that i can begin to map out my tea-running operation.

Apr 1st, '08, 13:48

by auggy » Apr 1st, '08, 13:48

Woo hoo! Tea black market! Fight the MAN! Whee!

So, I'm fairly caffeinated today. Irish breakfast blend this morning and I think I got it a wee bit strong. Drank 16oz about 4 hours ago and my hands are still a little unsteady. Mind you, I'm fairly sensitive to caffeine, but this is absurd. Guess DH gets to finish the rest of this tea because no way am I doing this to myself again. Or to my coworker, who has to deal with my jittery babbling today.

Apr 1st, '08, 13:50

by tenuki » Apr 1st, '08, 13:50

The chinese teas are in quarantine because they all are carrying the avian flu virus. It's a shame really , the last time a tea quarantine like this happened it was english breakfast tea and mad cow. That set back crumpets futures a whole year.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 1st, '08, 14:06

by RussianSoul » Apr 1st, '08, 14:06

I don't believe the quarantine for one minute - Happy April 1st, everyone!

But just in case... I am going to TenRen in Chinatown right now and will buy their entire stock of loose tea. Imagine the killing I will make selling it in small packets on street corners! :D

Assam Melody was in my cup this morning, now drinking a can of Sencha Shot.

And what's this with banned people?!!! Is it some kind of honorary status? If so, I want to be banned too! :lol:

Apr 1st, '08, 14:27

by Mary R » Apr 1st, '08, 14:27

Ask and ye shall receive.

Yes, the "Banned" honorific is an April Fool. I've been dying to dish out some honorifics ever since Chip and I were elected mods...and it seemed like a good way to yank our frequent chatters' chains.

Apr 1st, '08, 14:30

by RussianSoul » Apr 1st, '08, 14:30

Thanks, Mary!

I knew I could trust our wonderful mods to be there when we need them.