wednesday, TEADAY, 4/02/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Augie wants to know, when you started to drink tea seriously, was it to replace or reduce consumption of something else...or a substitution?

Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate my coffee consumption
9%
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate soda/soft drink consumption
5%
Yes, I was trying to reduce calorie consumption in my daily diet and hopefully eat less
No votes
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate alcohol consumption
No votes
Yes, I was just trying to reduce and/or eliminate consumption of various other beverages
2%
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate my consumption of energy drinks
No votes
Yes, I was simply looking for a more healthy lifestyle choices
8%
No, but son of a gun, it had this effect and I am happier because of it
26%
No, I just discovered TEA, period
38%
Other
12%

Total votes: 65

Apr 2nd, '08, 12:29

by daughteroftheKing » Apr 2nd, '08, 12:29

Always drank tea, but when I got more "serious" about it 2-3 years ago, I realized there was no reason to keep drinking diet pop. Why pay all that money and have my body deal with the carbonation and sodium? Tea has certainly been the healthier and tastier choice. Although looking at what I've spent on tea in the past year or so, tea definitely has not been a money saver. :)

Woke up this morning with TKY oolong from Adagio. Now I'm working on finishing up an old tin of White Pear. A new tin of White Peach arrived this morning before I left for work (late start today), but I'm trying to show a bit of restraint!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Apr 2nd, '08, 12:38

by olivierco » Apr 2nd, '08, 12:38

Keemun and sencha hatsumi this afternoon.

For the shincha fans, hatsumi should be available on April 28th

Apr 2nd, '08, 14:26

by greenisgood » Apr 2nd, '08, 14:26

I honestly think coffee and tea go hand in hand for me. I work as a barista and try to make perfectly froth for my macchiatos but can go home and try to perfect my sencha brewing that same day. I think getting into good tea has made me more interested in discovering the finer points of coffee as well. And sure tea is healthy but for me thats more of just another good thing about it versus a reason to have tea. I do admit that I drink pop less often nowadays but I still drink it sometimes.

I'm thinking some good dragonwell for getting down to business today and then something from Japan later on..

Apr 2nd, '08, 14:41

by scotty X » Apr 2nd, '08, 14:41

i first drank tea because i kept getting sick and having a sore throat and what not. i kept getting sick because i was drinking and going out a lot and living relatively unhealthily in general. but as i gradually focused more on healthy living, i coincidentally came back to tea (or when it came back to me), and i quickly immersed myself in the experiences surrounding it, which is what i continue to enjoy most.

i'm now rolling with some red robe with my lunch, and i'll look forward to a second steep when i get home from work.

Apr 2nd, '08, 15:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 2nd, '08, 15:27

LOL, I liked Olivierco's champagne post the best.

I have gone through health phases most of my adult life. I am also a firm believer that a key to successfully eliminating a negative is to add a positive...substitution. I am far from perfect, healthwise, but I do make a conscious effort to try to choose healthy choices over unhealthy ones.

Thus, I chose tea in 1999 consciously to replace or reduce less healthy choices. But ultimately, I have to truly like the choices...I love to eat, I love to drink...to not enjoy is to reduce enjoyment of life itself. I am not willing to do that.

Fortunately, tea is the ultimate perfect choice in virtually every respect. It has increased my quality of life in many ways. I have never wanted to look back...the perfect replacement.

Today...slow TeaDay, only Fukamushi Superior...yeah, I know, a broken record. Shincha is right around the corner so I am not loading up on year old teas. I am getting low on choices though. But this is a good choice.

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:03

by Victoria » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:03

Having the second steep of some really nice Jade TGY from TeaCuppa.
Very on the green end and very delicious.

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:06

by Sam. » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:06

I've never been a big coffee drinker (I only ever drink it if I'm just really in the need of a lot of caffeine, and that's rare) and I had stopped drinking soda more than a year before I started drinking tea. I just started drinking tea because I knew it was a healthy beverage choice and because I saw some of my friends in university drinking it. I've now far surpassed them in tea-obsession as they all just stick to teabags.

Started today with some citron green.

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:24

by olivierco » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:24

Victoria wrote:Having the second steep of some really nice Jade TGY from TeaCuppa.
Very on the green end and very delicious.
TGY?
I can't figure what TGY means. I guess it is an oolong?

Just had Ippodo Ippoen Gyokuro before dinner and now some Dong Ding to end the day.

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:24

by CynTEAa » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:24

"Champagne Oolong" is my afternoon choice today - maybe Olivierco's post got in my head. :wink:

The first cup had a honey aroma, first sip slightly edgy, but it cooled a little and became smoother and fruity with a soft honey note. Second infusion was also fruity and smooth, but lighter - more elegant somehow. Now the third is subtle but revealing a floral note. So nice! Just needed to share! :)

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:32

by Chip » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:32

CynTEAa wrote:"Champagne Oolong" is my afternoon choice today - maybe Olivierco's post got in my head. :wink:
:lol: truly inspired choice.

Lots of good oolong flowing today, maybe I will join in.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:55

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:55

I drink tea because it is one of the few things that does not bother my overly sensitive digestive system. Tea is my replacement for not being able to drink coffee, certain juices, and soda. Giving up coffee wasn't really a big deal to me since I didn't like coffee that much to begin with and I didn't have it often. I can have some soda, but mostly I just drink tea, water, and the occasional orange juice. I've been drinking tea since I was younger, so it really wasn't a big deal to me when I started drinking more of it.

This morning, I had two steeps of Victoria's Blend during my classes and am now enjoying Guricha from Den's. It is sad to have finished the Guricha off, but now I will be ready to enjoy the green teas from the new harvest without worrying about finishing the other greens that I had open.

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:58

by greenisgood » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:58

TGY=Ti Guan Yin
same as Ti Kuan Yin
it's a chinese oolong

Apr 2nd, '08, 17:00

by henley » Apr 2nd, '08, 17:00

Kinda funny to see all the talk about oolong as I had Adagio's oolong #8 w/lunch today. Am looking forward to finding more dark oolongs.

I stumbled into tea thru English style teaware & having tea parties w/my little girl. In 2.5 years I have graduated from grocery store tea bags to full loose tea snob now. I'm working toward my PhT.

Apr 2nd, '08, 17:35

by RussianSoul » Apr 2nd, '08, 17:35

I am drinking TenRen's King 319 dark oolong, and it is not to my taste :cry: . Oh well... I had a very nice morning tea of Assam Harmony, and will have a very nice afternoon tea, probably a Sencha or a Guricha, so life it good.

I don't drink tea in order to not drink something else. I grew up with tea, so tea is a normal way to be, not a substitute for anything. I never liked sodas, never drank them. I have a cup of coffee occasionally, when I feel like coffee. And tea did not drive away my appreciation for good wine or beer. But I am becoming a tea snob... er... connoisseur... very rapidly.

Apr 2nd, '08, 18:01

by Chip » Apr 2nd, '08, 18:01

Wu Ling Taiwan oolong...more astringency than I would expect even for a green oolong. Still, it is balanced with a nice subtle sweetness.

I had to join the oolong crowd today...TeaPeer pressure. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!