wednesday, TEADAY, 4/02/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Augie wants to know, when you started to drink tea seriously, was it to replace or reduce consumption of something else...or a substitution?

Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate my coffee consumption
9%
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate soda/soft drink consumption
5%
Yes, I was trying to reduce calorie consumption in my daily diet and hopefully eat less
No votes
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate alcohol consumption
No votes
Yes, I was just trying to reduce and/or eliminate consumption of various other beverages
2%
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate my consumption of energy drinks
No votes
Yes, I was simply looking for a more healthy lifestyle choices
8%
No, but son of a gun, it had this effect and I am happier because of it
26%
No, I just discovered TEA, period
38%
Other
12%

Total votes: 65

Apr 2nd, '08, 18:39

by witches brew » Apr 2nd, '08, 18:39

I drink my tisanes for the pure variety of tastes that they offer. I drink a little sencha for the excuse to own Japanese teaware (hey, that wasn't a poll option! :wink: )

Today i've had sencha and some lemongrass tisane. Not sure what my after dinner cup will be. I have cherry blossoms on my mind. They aren't out here in NY, of course. I am debating a quick train ride to DC this weekend for blossom viewing.

Any good tea shops there? Good teaware?

Apr 2nd, '08, 19:21

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Apr 2nd, '08, 19:21

Well, I chose other becuase my story is slightly different. I had always been a tea drinker in the since that I loved iced tea and really liked that Arizona Green Tea that they sold in the 7-11's in my area. True, they dont really taste like green tea, but they are still good. In my senior year of highschool I accepted admission to the College of William and Mary, known for its rigorous academics and high stress related suicide rates.......I had always read things such as "Chewing cinnamon gum will help you retain 30% more information while studying, etc." So I bought a buch of Big Red cinnamon gum before I went to school. Once I got there I also read in one of my classes (within the 1st week of freshman year) that green tea aided in memory retention. So....when I went up to the store to get some food I saw some green tea bags on sale (100 for about 3 bucks) and a travel mug....I thought to myself "This will be perfect for me to take to my labs, etc.." I started drinking it and like ing it alot and then about a month later I was talking another resident on my hall and he drank tea as well. He told me about a store right in Colonial Williamsburg that sold loose leaf tea. So, the next day I went up there (the place was called "Steeps"....it is no longer there) and purchased a mug infuser, 1oz of sencha, 1oz of dragonwell, 1 oz of dragon pearls, and 1 oz of white peony, and regrettably, 1oz of gunpowder.......I got backto my room and brewed up the gunpowder and even that compared to the tea bags was amazing, then I tasted the others and pushed the gunpowder aside. It has been TEADAY every day since then for me!

*Today has been a Pu day. 2006 Wu's Ripe Tea Cake in my cup at the moment!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Apr 2nd, '08, 19:33

by soapy » Apr 2nd, '08, 19:33

I reduced my daily coffee intake when I started to be a more serious tea drinker....also lost some weight and of course with teas there lots of health benefits
Get Paid to go on Vacations and deduct ALL personal travel, car purchases, concerts, attractions,golfing, flowers, going to sport events and so much more.
ask me how!
http://travelsyourway.biz
What are you waiting for...Join Today!

Apr 2nd, '08, 20:04

by jogrebe » Apr 2nd, '08, 20:04

For me taking tea seriously started my freshman year of college when it hit me how expensive soda is when you have to buy it for yourself. So I started getting tea bags and bags of sugar from the local grocery store which were not only cheaper but also easier to carry on the 20 minute walk back to campus. Back then I didn't know any better and thought Twinings teabags must have been a really good tea because they had the coat of arms of the British Royal Family on the box.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Apr 2nd, '08, 20:11

by Beanbean » Apr 2nd, '08, 20:11

I had to answer "other". My mother started giving me "cambric tea" when I was about two years old so I have always been a tea drinker. I enjoy the occasional cup of good coffee but I would say I have coffee fewer than six times a year. Other than tea I drink water (LOTS of water) and milk. That's it.

Tea is my favorite though. 8)

Apr 2nd, '08, 20:59

by augie » Apr 2nd, '08, 20:59

CynTEAa wrote:Augie, I hope your Bassett Hound didn't get any chocolate - yikes! Hope your poochie is ok!
She got a hold of the M&Ms and licked the wrappers, but gratefully didn't chew open. It was mostly skittles and starburst left at that point. She did this at Halloween also. Kids found her asleep on a pile of sucker sticks and wrappers. Candy stuck to her sides. She is very ingenuis, when not napping.

Regarding TaiPing Hou Kui's post: I also noticed the increased memory/better ability to concentrate after drinking regular green tea.

Apr 2nd, '08, 21:26

by tenuki » Apr 2nd, '08, 21:26

aged nan tou oolong
dan's organic sencha ( I like it, don't care what the sencha snobs say ) in my new Kyuusu.

Apr 3rd, '08, 00:01

by trent » Apr 3rd, '08, 00:01

fukamushi sencha from my friend's grandpa's tea farm

just4tea.com tie guan yin

Apr 3rd, '08, 00:27

by Space Samurai » Apr 3rd, '08, 00:27

Slow day...some sort of sencha I picked up from Whole Foods this afternoon.

Apr 3rd, '08, 00:44

by olivierco » Apr 3rd, '08, 00:44

greenisgood wrote:TGY=Ti Guan Yin
same as Ti Kuan Yin
it's a chinese oolong
Thanks.

Apr 3rd, '08, 01:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 3rd, '08, 01:26

I am still sipping an oolong from 8 hours ago...worked Sakura Sencha in between oolong steeps. It was a good TeaDay.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 3rd, '08, 02:01

by horsencl » Apr 3rd, '08, 02:01

I was always a casual tea drinker, just the normal lipton and tetley stuff. While I was dorming at college I started trying other kinds of tea, mostly whatever flavored stuff the supermarket had on sale. Then one cold day I wandered into the local tea shop. I was amazing at loose leaf tea and how many different varieties there were. That eventually snowballed into the obsession that I have today :D

Apr 3rd, '08, 03:38
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Apr 3rd, '08, 03:38

I always drink tea. I've never been a soda fan, and I've never drank coffee. (I could never develop a taste for coffee).Tried some huckleberry tea today. It was very yummy.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.