Tuuzday, TeaDay, 4/15/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I guess Spring made me wonder, have your TeaTastes changed since last Spring?

Yes, quite a bit
43%
Yes, somewhat
17%
Yes, actually I am in a state of flux right now...or always
15%
No, not really, I don't think so
13%
No, definitely not
5%
Other
7%

Total votes: 60

Apr 15th, '08, 10:08

by auggy » Apr 15th, '08, 10:08

My tastes have changed a ton. This time last year, I didn't know the proper temp to steep greens at so kept getting bitter ones when I tried it. Now, I know better and they are back to being my favorite. I've also gone off the tea bags that I had been drinking. Ironically, this time last year I was just drinking black teas. Now, not so much. Of course, that kind of falls into the whole didn't-know-how-to-brew-anything-else-properly thing.

This morning is Yunnan Gold. I still have to sugar it, but I am liking it more than last time. I enjoyed my cup this morning.

Does anyone know what the acidity levels are for tea?

Apr 15th, '08, 10:10

by olivierco » Apr 15th, '08, 10:10

This afternoon houjicha and now sencha karigane.
Some matcha is next I guess.

Apr 15th, '08, 10:12

by olivierco » Apr 15th, '08, 10:12

auggy wrote: Does anyone know what the acidity levels are for tea?
pH should be between 6 and 7, depending mainly on the water you use.

Apr 15th, '08, 10:16

by RussianSoul » Apr 15th, '08, 10:16

A lot has changed since last spring. I used to drink teabags and a lot of coffee. Kona, Blue Mountain and even Starbucks are much better than teabags, really. Now I am a tea snob. Lipton is a dirty word in my vocabulary. I know teas by name, I know proper brewing techniques, I order high quality teas from regions they grow in. I have a gaiwan and a kyusu, a thermometer, a timer and scales. I cringe when my friends dump leaf into a teapot, pour water and leave it for half an hour. Scary thought!

Assam Boisahabi this morning. I will probably have a gongfu session with my new wuyi later.

Apr 15th, '08, 10:18

by witches brew » Apr 15th, '08, 10:18

Last year at this time, I had never tried white or green tea. Now, I enjoy the flavor of a pinch of white tea in my herbal blends, and have become extremely fond of the fresh, grassy taste of sencha.

I have more interest in Japanese teas in general, and just ordered a sample of genmaicha, which should arrive today or tomorrow. Just what I need...more tea. I must have four or five unopened samples on my kitchen countertop right now.

In my cup right now: Peppermint and Silver Needle. I must come up with a name for this blend, because it is one of my favorites.

Apr 15th, '08, 10:30

by TimeforTea » Apr 15th, '08, 10:30

Last spring, I wasn't drinking tea yet. :shock:

I haven't had any tea yet this morning, but am on my way right now to brew some TQY from Ms. V.

Apr 15th, '08, 10:43

by GalileosDaughter » Apr 15th, '08, 10:43

Last year, I was drinking bagged tea and--prepare yourself--Diet Coke. Even in the morning. :shock:

But now I'm drinking mainly tea all day, some coffee. I hardly ever drink soda anymore.

This morning it is Assam Melody. You all will LOL at my preparation of this--I was drinking green tea yesterday and had my triniTea set to 180 degrees and 3 minutes steep. Well this morning I was in such a fog I forgot to change the triniTea settings and brewed my Assam at 180 for 3 minutes. It's weak but I'm such an addict I'm finishing up the pot.

Apr 15th, '08, 11:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Apr 15th, '08, 11:05

olivierco wrote:I made a pause in my Puer and oolong drinking ... This morning Keemun for breakfast.
Puer, oolong, Keemun?
:shock:
Someone has kidnapped olivierco and substituted an imposter! Call the tea police!

*The first suspect is always the closest person to the victim ... Pentox, where were you on the night that olivierco was kidnapped? I am putting out some feelers among my law enforcement contacts -- or at least trying to. Law enforcement could become my new hobby.

Apr 15th, '08, 11:22

by olivierco » Apr 15th, '08, 11:22

Salsero wrote:
olivierco wrote:I made a pause in my Puer and oolong drinking ... This morning Keemun for breakfast.
Puer, oolong, Keemun?
:shock:
Someone has kidnapped olivierco and substituted an imposter! Call the tea police!

*The first suspect is always the closest person to the victim ... Pentox, where were you on the night that olivierco was kidnapped? I am putting out some feelers among my law enforcement contacts -- or at least trying to. Law enforcement could become my new hobby.
So you abandoned your "Pentox and olivierco are the same person" theory...

I have been drinking only 40.7% (data actualized at 4pm GMT) japanese green tea since the beginning of 2008, so there is some room for other teas.

Apr 15th, '08, 12:43

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 15th, '08, 12:43

My tea tastes have changed a lot. At this time last year, I was drinking primarily peppermint tisane, my own herbal blends, and random bagged teas. There were some other loose teas in there too, but nothing overly spectacular. Now, I am drinking a lot of loose tea, still some herbals, and no bagged teas at all unless it is the only option. I had rediscovered actual loose tea during last fall when I found a tea shop in Ottawa. Things snowballed from there when I got the idea to look for tea online and found Adagio.

Today is starting with some iced Casablanca Twist and a travel mug of Victoria's Blend.

Apr 15th, '08, 13:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Apr 15th, '08, 13:41

witches brew wrote:In my cup right now: Peppermint and Silver Needle. I must come up with a name for this blend, because it is one of my favorites.
"Silvermint?" "Minty-buds-alicous?"

:)

Sorry, WB...couldn't resist!

Apr 15th, '08, 13:46

by Sam. » Apr 15th, '08, 13:46

I said 'Other' because last Spring I was just drinking green tea and Earl Grey out of teabags, but I guess I should have chosen 'Yes' as I've most definitely started drinking different teas. Oops! I guess I wasn't even thinking of those teabags as being in the same category as what I drink now.

Apr 15th, '08, 14:03

by brianlavelle » Apr 15th, '08, 14:03

My tea tastes have changed considerably: from not really drinking tea at all (put off by bland teabag tea), I'm now drinking Japanese green tea - principally matcha, sencha and gyokuro - on a daily basis.

I hope that by next Spring I'll have ventured well down the road of pu'erh and oolongs, and perhaps further afield. A year's a long time in tea! If only my wallet will last out... :D

[Now drinking some delicious matcha in my favourite Hagi chawan.]

Apr 15th, '08, 14:34

by tenuki » Apr 15th, '08, 14:34

I would just like to take a moment out this US Tax day to think of the brave men who cared so much about tea that they brewed the biggest pot ever right in Boston Harbor.

Vive La Tax Revolution!!

Apr 15th, '08, 14:42

by TimeforTea » Apr 15th, '08, 14:42

tenuki wrote:I would just like to take a moment out this US Tax day to think of the brave men who cared so much about tea that they brewed the biggest pot ever right in Boston Harbor.

Vive La Tax Revolution!!
No taxation without representation! :wink: