Wenzzzday, TeaDay, 4/16/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Yesterday's topic was so interesting, now, back to the future. Do you anticipate changes in your TeaTaste over the next year?

Yes, I am expecting a lot of changes
7%
Yes, I am expecting some changes
36%
Yes, I am in a more or less constant state of flux
15%
I have no idea
29%
No, not likely
13%
No, definitely not
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 55

Apr 16th, '08, 11:33

by auggy » Apr 16th, '08, 11:33

Teasweetie wrote:
auggy wrote:You stole my answer! :D
I joined six days before you, so I can do that to a newer noob! 8)
I call hazing! :lol:

Apr 16th, '08, 11:37

by Wesli » Apr 16th, '08, 11:37

I think the next change is going to involve me drinking more dark oolongs. I'm thinking some oriental beauty and some darjeeling oolongs.

Drinking some aracha

Apr 16th, '08, 11:45

by witches brew » Apr 16th, '08, 11:45

Change is good.

I didn't look in my crystal ball to see what I will be drinking a year from now, but I'm sure there will be something new on the list. I'd love to try matcha, but am afraid the caffeine will knock me over. How on earth can I study the tea ceremony if I'm afraid to drink the tea?

Of course, I just got a whomping great tin of peppermint tisane in yesterday's mail, so I know that's going to be with me for a while.

Apr 16th, '08, 12:48

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 16th, '08, 12:48

I know my tea tastes will probably change. I will find new favorites and explore new teas that I don't even know of yet.

My teaday has not been spectacular yet. I started with a mug of White Tip Oolong and put the second and third steeps in travel mugs for class. 45 minutes into class, I go to reach for the second mug only to find it empty. The lid wasn't tightened all the way and over the course of the class, the tea dripped out only to have my backpack soak it all up. After running back to my dorm to switch to a less soggy bag, I made two steeps of Da Ye Oolong to enjoy through my afternoon classes. The lids are on tight this time.

Apr 16th, '08, 13:50

by Katmandu » Apr 16th, '08, 13:50

[quote="Victoria"]

In my cup this morning Premium Yunnan Black Gold - again thanks to Salsero

So,where does Salsero get this precious Black Yunnan Gold? I'm just getting into it and loving it! Talk about change-its happening over here day to day...used to only drink Irish Breakfast in a.m. Now Im hooked on YG and Golden Monkey. I tried a green oolong from Teaspring for the first time ever this week-mmmm,quite good.
Sorry, Kitty, that really sux when that happens!!!

Right now enjoying my 2nd steep of Silver Needle....great as always.
:D

Apr 16th, '08, 14:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Apr 16th, '08, 14:02

Katmandu wrote: So,where does Salsero get this precious Black Yunnan Gold? I'm just getting into it and loving it!
Kat, this batch is from Yunnan Sourcing.
V. :D

Apr 16th, '08, 14:14

by tenuki » Apr 16th, '08, 14:14

I'm not expecting anything to change. Teas will continue to fall into only two categories.

1) Tenuki Likes™!
2) Bleh™.

Started today with some very fine puerh and a magic chinese green (no really it's magic, see the note below for proof), now having some WuYi. Yup, Tenuki Likes™!

note: this morning I got up and lifted the lid on one of my two gaiwans from last night and found that I had left it brewing overnight. That's right, 8 hours brew time. Since I'm generally more curious than a cat I decided to drink the tea. It was perfectly fine, quite strong but not bitter or astringent at all. Now grant you, I had about 5 infusions of it last night, but still.... Magic tea. found it in the Seattle International district in a green tin, that is all I know about it. even the rinse water from this tea is worth drinking. So Chip, you _can_ get a good tea in Chinatown in a tin.

Apr 16th, '08, 14:27

by Katrina » Apr 16th, '08, 14:27

Considering the drastic change I've experienced from last year to this year I can't even imagine what I'll be drinking a year from now. My hope is that I just continue to expand my "favorite" list rather than eliminating any particular thing from my repertoire.

In my cup this morning was Golden Monkey from Tealuxe. Decent, but not great. I'm anxious to try Adagio's in my next order since I keep reading such good things about it here. Today's my birthday :D so I'm trying to choose something extra special for this afternoon when the kids are napping...(if the kids are napping...)

Apr 16th, '08, 14:29

by Salsero » Apr 16th, '08, 14:29

Heraclitus, circa 400 B.C.*, wrote:"After all, one does not step into the same river twice. waters disperse and come together again ... they keep flowing on and flowing away."
"Into the same rivers we step and yet we do not step, we exist and at the same time we do not exist."
Stability and change, my two favorite things (after tea, of course!) I love Heraclitus' analogy of a river, with constantly changing, renewing water, to represent a world that is simultaneously the bedrock of life and its chaos. I hope my experience of tea continues to remind me of this tension in life: a river that carries me from day to day and a single cup, present for only an instant, like the inimate moment Cinnamon Kitty shared with us toward the end of yesterday's TeaDay.

Chip, your own writing in the headers to these TeaDays is getting right up there with Heraclitus. Keep inspiring us hoards of tea drinkers.

Yes, it is a good tea day. Had a rare chance to share tea (Sencha Maki) with a physical person today. (Yes, there seem to be real 3-D people walking earth still - I had thought they were extinct.) Nice change since the social aspect of my TeaLife is normally pretty much virtual. In my cup, 2005 Menghai 7562 Ripe Brick. It's taken me a year to learn how to brew this stuff, but I am smiling now!

A good tea day, indeed. wOOt!

* No, not British Columbia

Apr 16th, '08, 14:50

by scotty X » Apr 16th, '08, 14:50

Cinnamon Kitty, i feel your pain - i am no stranger to tea disasters myself. but my problem (or is it a virtue?) was that i wouldn't use travel mugs, so if i had to corner or brake hard while driving, my teapot would tip over, and there goes all the tea...

i'm thinking my tea tastes will continue to flow like heraclitus' river, but i do expect them to balance out so that i drink greens and whites more regularly to accompany my already-consistent consumption of blacks, oolongs, and pus.

Apr 16th, '08, 15:02

by Pentox » Apr 16th, '08, 15:02

Katrina wrote:Today's my birthday :D so I'm trying to choose something extra special for this afternoon when the kids are napping...(if the kids are napping...)
Happy birthday! My suggestion is give the kids some sugar now so they'll crash later.

Apr 16th, '08, 15:02

by Salsero » Apr 16th, '08, 15:02

scotty X wrote:Cinnamon Kitty, i feel your pain ... consumption of blacks, oolongs, and pus.
Cinnamon Kitty is just being punished for that poetic moment last night, but you, Scotty, what's with the pus! Eeewwww. This is a family channel!

Apr 16th, '08, 15:04

by RussianSoul » Apr 16th, '08, 15:04

Happy Birthday Katrina!
Have a cup of tea on me! :D

I literally have no idea what's going to happen in a year. Most likely some things are going to change and some thing will remain the same. I will likely still love Assams, I have loved them for years. I will probably try and fall in love with some other tea of which I have not heard yet. Let's get back on this question a year from now.

Assam in the morning. Just finished a can of Sencha Shot that I took with me to run my errands.

Apr 16th, '08, 15:16

by Chip » Apr 16th, '08, 15:16

Katrina wrote: Today's my birthday :D so I'm trying to choose something extra special for this afternoon when the kids are napping...(if the kids are napping...)
Happy birthday, Katrina!!! Enjoy your special day.

My changes anymore are simply ebbs and flows...the one urge I fight off is Pu-erh, because that requires a certain level of devotion in my eyes...and a 15 year commitment. :lol:

I will continue to drink mostly Japanese greens...greener oolong will continue to increase in importance, Chinese green is the X factor...long a staple, it has faded from glory in my eyes, but will remain a presence. Can I casually enjoy Pu this year...hmmm...that would be the biggest change if I can do that.

Kagoshima Fukamushi...again in my cup. Come on shincha!!!!!!!!!!!1
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 16th, '08, 15:18

by Chip » Apr 16th, '08, 15:18

tenuki wrote:
note: this morning I got up and lifted the lid on one of my two gaiwans from last night and found that I had left it brewing overnight. That's right, 8 hours brew time. Since I'm generally more curious than a cat I decided to drink the tea. It was perfectly fine, quite strong but not bitter or astringent at all. Now grant you, I had about 5 infusions of it last night, but still.... Magic tea. found it in the Seattle International district in a green tin, that is all I know about it. even the rinse water from this tea is worth drinking. So Chip, you _can_ get a good tea in Chinatown in a tin.
:lol: touche, tenuki. I need to visit your China Town.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!