Thursday is TeaDay 4/24/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

In light of the recent IM/TC problems, Henley wanted to know, are you "addicted" to TeaChat?

Seriously addicted
18%
Addicted
11%
I can quit anytime I want, really! I just don't want to
40%
No, not really
21%
Definitely not
9%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Apr 24th, '08, 18:27

by RussianSoul » Apr 24th, '08, 18:27

I can quit anytime I want, really! I just don't want to!

These are the famous words, of course...

Irish Breakfast (with milk and sugar) for breakfast. This usually is my breakfast. Then moved to Peach Oolong. I usually stay away from flavored, but Adagio sent this as a substitute for another oolong that was out of stock. It tastes surprisingly good! The peach is delicate and not overpowering, oolong (fairly dark, but not too roasted) comes through very nicely. The combination of tastes seems natural. The leaves are pretty, both dry and wet. Well done, Adagio!

Apr 24th, '08, 18:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 18:46

I suddenly have a craving for some POM juice and some Oolong...just not together!!! :shock: :wink:

I am out of POM juice anyway...but I have plenty of Oolong.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 24th, '08, 18:51

by Victoria » Apr 24th, '08, 18:51

Chip wrote:I suddenly have a craving for some POM juice and some Oolong...just not together!!! :shock: :wink:

I am out of POM juice anyway...but I have plenty of Oolong.
Define plenty.
:wink:

Apr 24th, '08, 18:56

by daughteroftheKing » Apr 24th, '08, 18:56

My weekly T@3 group ventured into green tree today: White Monkey with Raspberry Green. Because both are mild greens, they all liked it.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Apr 24th, '08, 19:30

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 24th, '08, 19:30

I retried the Chinese Flower Green Tea from Harney and Sons that Teasweetie was having issues with earlier today. I used a heaping teaspoon in the infuser basket in my 16oz mug for 3 minutes. I did not check the water temperature since my hot water dispenser has been consistently heating water to around 180*F and up to 200*F on good days. The tea turned out pretty good. It tastes mildly citrus combined with floral notes. I haven't had this tea for a while, but it came out very tasty today.

Apr 24th, '08, 19:38

by Wesli » Apr 24th, '08, 19:38

Den's is here. I just finished a 3rd steep of Maki, and I must confess...

I am MASTER BREWER!

I think I'll go 4 steeps, then pop open either the guricha or the genmaicha extra green. Shoot, since I have to study all night I might just do both.

Apr 24th, '08, 19:47

by Sinensis » Apr 24th, '08, 19:47

I just started so I don't have plans on quitting any time soon...I enjoy reading around the forums and so far I've learned many things :o

Apr 24th, '08, 19:49

by tenuki » Apr 24th, '08, 19:49

Chip wrote:It is also a matter of using modern tools, we all use them in one form or another. I am mystified by strong reactions to a scale.

I think it's because it's arbitrary and the context of making tea is so variable. (ie, different teas, mood, humidity, temp, location, teaware, guests, etc). I view scales sort of like the broken watch that is perfectly accurate twice a day. Not that I expect you to understand this, you already stated that you were mystified. ;)

btw: The scale isn't modern, it was invented about 5 minutes after the lever was if I remember my caveman history properly. Waaayyy before tea preparation included more than eating it. (footnote, see mouthbrewing)
Chip wrote:Perhaps it was this way when modern electric kettles began to hit the tea scene. :wink:
Electric Kettle, hmn, those hit the tea scene rather recently compared to scales. I have no problem with those, thank goodness for them! I do however use fresh water each boil just like on the stove. There really isn't any comparison IMO, apples to oranges.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 24th, '08, 20:04
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Apr 24th, '08, 20:04

I went to the IRC channel. heh

Apr 24th, '08, 20:13

by scruffmcgruff » Apr 24th, '08, 20:13

I think it's time for some of the postmodernists from that other thread to come over here and level the playing field... :D
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Apr 24th, '08, 20:53
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Apr 24th, '08, 20:53

Chip: What exactly *is* the teafridge?

Is it a dorm refrigerator? How cold?

Apr 24th, '08, 21:01

by tenuki » Apr 24th, '08, 21:01

i can has live chat? wrote:Chip: What exactly *is* the teafridge?

You can buy them in kit form from Adagio and build them yourself - Here is the blueprint..

Apr 24th, '08, 21:03

by Aphroditea » Apr 24th, '08, 21:03

scruffmcgruff wrote:I think it's time for some of the postmodernists from that other thread to come over here and level the playing field... :D
Or everyone else can bring their happy selves over to us :)
we don't need to level any playing fields....hell, I'm pretty sure we lost our BALL!!

I'll just say - it's all about form and function, structures and meanings.....and the absurdity of the cosmos :)

oh....and TEA! :D

Apr 24th, '08, 21:38

by Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 21:38

i can has live chat? wrote:Chip: What exactly *is* the teafridge?

Google TeaFridge...and you will see one thing...I own TeaFridge. :lol:

Yeah, it is a cube dorm fridge that my parents had to give up when they moved. It is the perfect size to cold store tea, opened only once a week about (less condensation from opening the door all the time), keeps tea at a constant temp (I can also keep it colder than my regular kitchen fridge 33-35*), no competing odors...it is the ultimate TeaGeek device.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 24th, '08, 21:41

by witches brew » Apr 24th, '08, 21:41

tenuki wrote:In tea as in many things there is art and there is science. The purpose of art is to discover the new, the purpose of science is to produce the same results every time.

I prefer art with my tea and am perfectly willing to suffer the occasional minor gaff in pursuit of new perfection and the joy of creating.

Repetition is boring and easy.
Well said! I am much more comfortable using my senses to get a good brew than I am using thermometer, scale and timer. "This much" tea is gauged by adding it pinch by pinch to my palm until there is 'enough.' The water usually takes care of itself, being that I pour it from vessel to vessel. Time isn't even a consideration. How does it smell? How does it look? How does it taste? That's how I decide when it is done.

Now, about today's poll. I'm having fun on the forums. Sure I could quit at any time, but why deprive myself of such knowledgeable and good company? As for the chat, that's just not my cuppa.

I'm trying to remember what my teas were today. Yes. Sencha, peppermint tisane and a strawberry tisane from Adagio--a sample that a friend shared with me. The strawberry was a bit thin on its own, but might be delicious if combined with catnip. It needs something to round it out.