Thursday is TeaDay 4/24/08


BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

In light of the recent IM/TC problems, Henley wanted to know, are you "addicted" to TeaChat?

Seriously addicted
10
18%
Addicted
6
11%
I can quit anytime I want, really! I just don't want to
23
40%
No, not really
12
21%
Definitely not
5
9%
Other
1
2%
 
Total votes : 57

Postby chamekke » Apr 24th, '08, 11:07

auggy wrote:
chamekke wrote:auggy, I'm glad to hear that your boss was being understanding about your grief. Sounds like a good guy.

He really is. He told me to take Tuesday off (I'm off Mondays and that is when my kitty went into heart failure) and told me to leave early yesterday. He's been awesome. But then, I work for our church and he's the senior pastor, so it would not be good if he were a jerk about it. :D


Fair enough :wink:

Still, sometimes you never know. Often it's a question of whether the person has a personal experience of loss. When my mother died, there seemed to be a clear delineation in reaction between those who had lost a loved one, and those who really didn't know what it was like. The latter were often sympathetic, but they lacked an experiential understanding of how profound and long-lasting such grief can be.
User avatar
chamekke
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Apr 6th, '0
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Postby fencerdenoctum » Apr 24th, '08, 11:23

I must say that chatting in the IM makes my day a little better and my day go by faster. It pains me greatly to not "hear" the sounds of "oontz" everynow and again. I miss chatting with my teabuddies! *sob (yes just one)*

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum
-not afraid to show emotion in public
User avatar
fencerdenoctum
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Jul 18th, '

Postby Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 24th, '08, 12:22

Teasweetie wrote:This morning, I have Chinese green flowering tea in my cup. (Thank you, Cinnamon Kitty!) However, I must have brewed it incorrectly. I decided to weigh it, since it seemed quite fluffy. I could not believe how much leaf/flower I had to use to reach 4.6 grams for 2 cups. The brewed tea is extremely strong. Any thoughts?? Perhaps I should have stuck to my old rule of fluffy tea=heaping tea spoon...


I used the fluffy tea rule too. A heaping teaspoon works fine for a 16oz mug. It does get rather strong if you use too much leaf or steep it too long. That was one of the things that I didn't like about that tea: it could be messed up easily. I'll make some later to test it again since I haven't brewed that one in a while. It does taste nicely citrus and floral when it is done right if I remember correctly, so don't give up on it yet.

I could quit TeaChat if I wanted to, but I really don't see any reason to do so. The people here are friendly and helpful and have the same interest that I do: tea. I like the forums since it gives me something to browse between classes and homework and I like reading the IM and sometimes talking to people since it can be helpful or just plain fun.

Today is more White Tip Oolong for the morning to get through waking up and my one class today. Then I get to look forward to some Sakura Sencha iced tea that has been cooling in the fridge since last night.
User avatar
Cinnamon Kitty
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Jan 15th, '
Location: Syracuse, NY

Postby auggy » Apr 24th, '08, 12:26

chamekke wrote:Still, sometimes you never know. Often it's a question of whether the person has a personal experience of loss. When my mother died, there seemed to be a clear delineation in reaction between those who had lost a loved one, and those who really didn't know what it was like. The latter were often sympathetic, but they lacked an experiential understanding of how profound and long-lasting such grief can be.
That is so true. I think that is even more highlighted when it is a pet. Some people are dismissive or confused because either they view their pets differently or haven't had any. I admit, I was almost expecting that kind of reaction - sympathetic but confused - and have been pleasantly surprised. But then the pastor said that he lost his favorite dog years ago to a sudden illness and his understanding made sense. I realize I am more attached to my kitties than some people understand. Since DH and I don't and can't have kids, they have become my babies. People that aren't pet lovers think I'm a bit nuts.

Of course, I could be nuts, but for different reasons. :wink:
User avatar
auggy
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Feb 8th, '0
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Postby olivierco » Apr 24th, '08, 12:43

Back from work drinking Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1 (20007 harvest). I hope the 2008 harvest will be as good as this one.
User avatar
olivierco
 
Posts: 3375
Joined: Feb 8th, '0
Location: France

Postby Victoria » Apr 24th, '08, 13:34

Teasweetie wrote:This morning, I have Chinese green flowering tea in my cup. (Thank you, Cinnamon Kitty!) However, I must have brewed it incorrectly. I decided to weigh it, since it seemed quite fluffy. I could not believe how much leaf/flower I had to use to reach 4.6 grams for 2 cups. The brewed tea is extremely strong. Any thoughts?? Perhaps I should have stuck to my old rule of fluffy tea=heaping tea spoon...


My Mom was a great cook, she never used any measuring cups or spoons. Not that I inherited that from her necessarily, but I like to be the judge of what looks right, than to have a scale tell me so. Even this morning when I was making my black tea, I looked at the amount and put a pinch back. How did I know that? I have no idea. If you were cooking and the recipe called for a teaspoon of salt and you knew it would be too much would you put in it? Use the FORCE Luke.

(Now rather than feel the wrath of the Green Team, I have been told by an expert scales are a must for Japanese greens, and I trust this to be so.)
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Postby TimeforTea » Apr 24th, '08, 14:04

Trey Winston wrote: I'm no expert, so the best advice I can give you is to reboot the computer. That usually solves mysterious problems for me. Unless it's a recurring problem, though.


Thanks, Trey. Rebooted this afternoon and that worked. However, it is a reoccuring problem.

Enjoy your Silver Needles!
User avatar
TimeforTea
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 2nd, '0

Postby TimeforTea » Apr 24th, '08, 14:14

Victoria wrote:My Mom was a great cook, she never used any measuring cups or spoons. Not that I inherited that from her necessarily, but I like to be the judge of what looks right, than to have a scale tell me so. Even this morning when I was making my black tea, I looked at the amount and put a pinch back. How did I know that? I have no idea. If you were cooking and the recipe called for a teaspoon of salt and you knew it would be too much would you put in it? Use the FORCE Luke.

(Now rather than feel the wrath of the Green Team, I have been told by an expert scales are a must for Japanese greens, and I trust this to be so.)


My mother-in-law's mom was like that, too. Unfortunately, she couldn't write any recipes down because she just knew how much of each ingredient to throw in without measuring!

So...should I assume going forward I will only need to use the scale for Japanese green teas? What about fluffy white teas? I can sometimes tell with cooking/baking...but not with tea brewing! I need the FORCE. 8)
User avatar
TimeforTea
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 2nd, '0

Postby Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 14:16

Teasweetie wrote:
Trey Winston wrote: I'm no expert, so the best advice I can give you is to reboot the computer. That usually solves mysterious problems for me. Unless it's a recurring problem, though.


Thanks, Trey. Rebooted this afternoon and that worked. However, it is a reoccuring problem.

Enjoy your Silver Needles!


Try going to a higher elevation such as a roof top...then tossing it off. That should eliminate the problem completely! :wink:

I have TeaChat issues that may soon require a 12 step program to correct. 8)

Weighing out some of the very little remaining sencha I have left. I am very afraid I might run out before I receive my first shincha...very afraid... :shock:

Victoria...you are just more intuitive...or more bull headed, not sure which!!! I lack the force, clearly.

Using a scale...for me...was the single biggest improvement to my brewing since I had started 5 years before. With it I am able to accurately quantify changes I make in the amount of leaf I use if I am making adjustments...especially with a new tea.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22178
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby Katrina » Apr 24th, '08, 14:22

I too interpreted the question as related to the IM/TC room, not as the whole forum so I answered definitely no. I occasionally peek but I always feel like I'm eavesdropping...I guess I am!

Apricot iced tea (brewed from loose leaf) so far today. Some Sencha coming soon...

And Auggy, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. So sad for you and your household.
User avatar
Katrina
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Oct 18th, '
Location: Massachusetts

Postby Victoria » Apr 24th, '08, 14:27

Teasweetie wrote: So...should I assume going forward I will only need to use the scale for Japanese green teas? What about fluffy white teas? I can sometimes tell with cooking/baking...but not with tea brewing! I need the FORCE. 8)


Use which ever method you feel most comfortable with.
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Postby olivierco » Apr 24th, '08, 14:29

Chip wrote:
Weighing out some of the very little remaining sencha I have left. I am very afraid I might run out before I receive my first shincha...very afraid... :shock:


Nothing left in the teafridge?

If you ordered Hatsumi, it should have been processed today or yesterday.
User avatar
olivierco
 
Posts: 3375
Joined: Feb 8th, '0
Location: France

Postby tenuki » Apr 24th, '08, 14:52

In tea as in many things there is art and there is science. The purpose of art is to discover the new, the purpose of science is to produce the same results every time.

I prefer art with my tea and am perfectly willing to suffer the occasional minor gaff in pursuit of new perfection and the joy of creating.

Repetition is boring and easy.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 14:54

olivierco wrote:
Chip wrote:
Weighing out some of the very little remaining sencha I have left. I am very afraid I might run out before I receive my first shincha...very afraid... :shock:


Nothing left in the teafridge?

If you ordered Hatsumi, it should have been processed today or yesterday.


I ordered Hatsumi and Kirameki together since they were supposed to ship out w/i a few days of each other. I hope this is still the case!

The TeaFridge is bare of sencha. I have some gyokuro and karigane in there.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22178
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby tenuki » Apr 24th, '08, 15:00

2005 Tongqing ripe puerh. Not a bad tea, especially for the price. A bit lacking so far in the Qi department, but I'm only on the first 3 infusions. There is a very pleasant and lingering bitterness along with the usual shuness that I rather like.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation