Wednesday's TeaDay 4/30/08


BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Yeah Spring suggested I ask, what kind of Kettle are you using to heat your water?

Stovetop Copper
0
No votes
Stovetop Glass
2
3%
Stovetop Whistler
15
24%
Stovetop Other
5
8%
Plug in Stainless
23
37%
Plug in Plastic
7
11%
Plug in Glass
0
No votes
Plug in Other
1
2%
Zojirushi
6
10%
The Microwave
3
5%
 
Total votes : 62

Postby TimeforTea » Apr 30th, '08, 19:37

Salsero wrote:
Teasweetie wrote:This morning's tea choice: TC Da Ye Wuyi.
Are Wuyi oolongs new to your repertoire? I thought you were on a diet of greens?


I do mostly drink greens as well as whites. However, with all the oolong enthusiasm I've read on posts, I became curious. I must be doing something wrong, because almost every oolong I brew seem to taste the same. One of these days, I am hoping to find a lightly oxidized oolong that I enjoy as much as jasmine pearls...or one that tastes of peach...

TC Da Ye Wuyi was curteosy of tea swap with Cinnamon Kitty.
User avatar
TimeforTea
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 2nd, '0

Postby Ron Gilmour » Apr 30th, '08, 19:48

Teasweetie, it sounds like you're looking for Adagio's oolong #40. Have you tried that? It's REALLY good.

Right now I'm enjoying a third steep from a Taiwanese Li Shan oolong. I just got this from Tao of Tea today. It's the greenest oolong I've ever drunk. It smells a bit like corn and tastes like a fruitier version of a Chinese green.
User avatar
Ron Gilmour
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Mar 1st, '0
Location: Ithaca, NY

Postby TimeforTea » Apr 30th, '08, 19:53

Ron Gilmour wrote:Teasweetie, it sounds like you're looking for Adagio's oolong #40. Have you tried that? It's REALLY good.

Right now I'm enjoying a third steep from a Taiwanese Li Shan oolong. I just got this from Tao of Tea today. It's the greenest oolong I've ever drunk. It smells a bit like corn and tastes like a fruitier version of a Chinese green.


Hmm. I have oolong #18 but not oolong #40. Plus, it's probably going to be a while before I place another adagio order, but I will keep oolong #40 in mind. What does it taste like?

What your drinking today sounds quite good.

I may have asked you this already, but have you ever worked in a public library? Your name seems familiar.
Last edited by TimeforTea on Apr 30th, '08, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TimeforTea
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 2nd, '0

Postby Ron Gilmour » Apr 30th, '08, 19:59

Teasweetie wrote:
Ron Gilmour wrote:Teasweetie, it sounds like you're looking for Adagio's oolong #40. Have you tried that? It's REALLY good.

Right now I'm enjoying a third steep from a Taiwanese Li Shan oolong. I just got this from Tao of Tea today. It's the greenest oolong I've ever drunk. It smells a bit like corn and tastes like a fruitier version of a Chinese green.


Hmm. I have oolong #18 but not oolong #40. Plus, it's probably going to be a while before I place another adagio order, but I will keep oolong #40 in mind. What does it taste like?

What your drinking today sounds quite good.

I may have asked you this already, but have you ever worked in P.O.B. Public Library? Your name seems familiar.


Adagio's Oolong #40 tastes like peaches to me. It has a very warm, fruity soothing quality.

And no, I am a librarian, but I've never worked in a public library.
User avatar
Ron Gilmour
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Mar 1st, '0
Location: Ithaca, NY

Postby Salsero » Apr 30th, '08, 20:58

Ron Gilmour wrote: It's the greenest oolong I've ever drunk. It smells a bit like corn and tastes like a fruitier version of a Chinese green.
Yes, I think you have hit the nail on the head there, more fruity and maybe smoother or less edgy. The similarity between green tea and the light oolongs always seems terribly apparent to me, yet so many light oolong drinkers don't enjoy green.

If it turns out that you and TeaSweetie do somehow know each other that would be sooooo cool. I wonder how many lost friends, former lovers, business associates, or serial killers we would find in the roughly 1,400 TeaChat members if we all used real names? Maybe a good reason not to!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby henley » Apr 30th, '08, 21:00

Adagio's Oolong #40 & #8 are two of my favorites. Finally got lunch at 3:00 today & had a cuppa #8. It almost reminds me of a black tea but w/o the bitterness.

Thankfully today was better than yesterday :wink: but still need to crash w/a hot cuppa tea. Off to stare at the tea drawer...
User avatar
henley
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Aug 28th, '
Location: Northeast Georgia

Postby TimeforTea » Apr 30th, '08, 21:32

Salsero wrote:The similarity between green tea and the light oolongs always seems terribly apparent to me, yet so many light oolong drinkers don't enjoy green.


Salsero, which are your favorite light oolongs and why? I seem to be enjoying Chinese greens more than Japanese greens at the moment. By the way, Ron and I do not know each other.
Last edited by TimeforTea on Apr 30th, '08, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
TimeforTea
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 2nd, '0

Postby Victoria » Apr 30th, '08, 21:33

tenuki wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Wenshan Baozhong for me today too, but mine is from Floating Leaves.
Just lovely.


Which one? 2nd place is my favorite from the last harvest and the new ones aren't in yet.


Yes, it's the 2nd place one. Wanted to see what it tasted lke fresh, hahaha.
Very nice - But darn - yours was better. :D
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Postby Victoria » Apr 30th, '08, 21:41

Teasweetie wrote:TC Da Ye Wuyi was curteosy of tea swap with Cinnamon Kitty.


The "TC" stands for TeaCuppa.
:wink:
User avatar
Victoria
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Jan 8th, '0
Location: Southern CA

Postby Salsero » Apr 30th, '08, 22:20

Teasweetie wrote:Salsero, which are your favorite light oolongs and why?
*freezes up in oral exams* :shock:

Teasweetie wrote:By the way, Ron and I do not know each other.
Drat, another theory blown out of the water!
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 30th, '08, 22:30

I had some more White Peach during my late class today. Somehow, it has been the only tea to give me a caffeine buzz. This is rather impressive.
User avatar
Cinnamon Kitty
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Jan 15th, '
Location: Syracuse, NY

Postby TimeforTea » Apr 30th, '08, 22:57

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:I had some more White Peach during my late class today. Somehow, it has been the only tea to give me a caffeine buzz. This is rather impressive.


Interesting that you mentioned that. I thought I was getting caffeine buzzes from white peach, too. And I thought white teas were not high in caffeine? Odd...
User avatar
TimeforTea
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 2nd, '0

Postby Chip » Apr 30th, '08, 23:06

Teasweetie wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote:I had some more White Peach during my late class today. Somehow, it has been the only tea to give me a caffeine buzz. This is rather impressive.


Interesting that you mentioned that. I thought I was getting caffeine buzzes from white peach, too. And I thought white teas were not high in caffeine? Odd...


Perhaps one teaspoon leaf of white compared to one teaspoon leaf black will yield a cup with less caffeine. But the thing is, you use a lot of leaf for white, usually more by weight for white than black. I think a lot of the studies are skewed due to testing by non tea drinkers...or at least not enough practical input from tea drinkers.

Also, white is minimally processed. Some argue as a result will have higher concentration of caffeine.

Drinking Karigane Gyo/Sencha...waiting for my first shincha order that hopefully was shipped today within days of harvest. :D
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22291
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Postby TimeforTea » May 1st, '08, 10:24

Chip wrote:Perhaps one teaspoon leaf of white compared to one teaspoon leaf black will yield a cup with less caffeine. But the thing is, you use a lot of leaf for white, usually more by weight for white than black. I think a lot of the studies are skewed due to testing by non tea drinkers...or at least not enough practical input from tea drinkers.

Also, white is minimally processed. Some argue as a result will have higher concentration of caffeine.

Drinking Karigane Gyo/Sencha...waiting for my first shincha order that hopefully was shipped today within days of harvest. :D


Good point...perhaps I should brew a weaker cup/use less leaf when brewing white tea. Why would there be a higher concentration of caffeine just because it's minimally processed? Black tea is the most processed, yet has a higher concentration of caffeine. Or, is it because with white tea, you're using the tea leaf bud? Hmmm. :?

I hope your shincha order arrives soon!! :D
User avatar
TimeforTea
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 2nd, '0

Postby mmsq3 » May 1st, '08, 23:47

I'm stuck with just my microwave :?

I'd really like a kettle, but money is tight :(
mmsq3
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Apr 7th, '0
Location: North Carolina

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation