Cinco de Mayo 2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Teasweetie asked how old were you when you had your first cup or taste of TEA?

Less than 3
19%
Less than 6
25%
Less than 9
11%
Less than 12
19%
Less than 15
7%
Less than 18
7%
Less than 24
7%
Less than 30
No votes
Less than 40
5%
Less than 50
No votes
Less than 60
No votes
60 or more señor ; )
No votes

Total votes: 57

May 5th, '08, 12:09

by Katrina » May 5th, '08, 12:09

Thanks to everyone for the beautiful photos of flowers. Here in New England we are just starting to get our daffodils and my lilacs are on the verge of blossoming. (My favorite flowers of all...That scent is unbelievable.) Your photos are helping me dream of what's to come!

I really couldn't remember when I first tried tea. For me it was Lipton or Red Rose with lots of milk. Whenever I had been sick with a stomach bug and was ready to move beyond ginger ale and broth my mom always made me tea with milk and sugar and a piece of cinnamon toast. I was in my early 20s when I discovered good loose leaf tea and the rest, as they say, is history.

Cheericup Ceylon today.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

May 5th, '08, 12:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 5th, '08, 12:21

Katrina wrote:my lilacs are on the verge of blossoming.
Lilacs, mmm, they won't grow in the South, nor will peonies. Two good reasons for winter.

May 5th, '08, 12:50

by tenuki » May 5th, '08, 12:50

Salsero wrote: Image
Now you are just showing off.... :D

May 5th, '08, 13:56

by Victoria » May 5th, '08, 13:56

I was under six and tagging along with an older lady who sort of adopted me as a second grandmother. We went to a ladies afternoon tea at a house down the street. I loved all the ladies wearing gloves and sipping tea from beautiful English tea sets. I don't remember the tea as much as the experience.

This morning a Keemun Assam blend.

May 5th, '08, 14:09

by tenuki » May 5th, '08, 14:09

Some simple daily hojicha today. Got a bag for 3 bucks at the local Uwajimaya. Man, it's pretty good. :D
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

May 5th, '08, 14:18

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 5th, '08, 14:18

Katrina wrote:Here in New England we are just starting to get our daffodils and my lilacs are on the verge of blossoming. (My favorite flowers of all...That scent is unbelievable)
I love lilacs. We have a few bushes at home that are always gorgeous during this time of year. I love snipping off a few of the clusters to bring inside just to enjoy the scent.

I would guess that I tried tea by the time I was six. Given my curiosity as a young child and that my father enjoys a pot of Earl Gray tea almost every night after dinner, it was pretty inevitable that I would sample it. Tea with lemon and honey was also a common remedy for scratchy throats and colds when I was growing up. I didn't try loose tea until some time in high school.

Today started with White Tip Oolong, but after one mug of that my shincha order arrived so now I have Fukamushi Sencha Supreme. It is awesome!

May 5th, '08, 14:36

by Chip » May 5th, '08, 14:36

My Wisteria (Chinese or Japanese, not sure which) is blooming wildly right now. It has 1000's of pendulous clusters of blossoms. The trunk on it must be almost 8" in diameter. It is a monster that requires massive pruning each year or it would literally cover my house.

Don't expect any pity from us northerners Sal. Not having lilacs and peonies is a small price to pay for warmth year round. Still, Spring is such a wonderful time. What looked dead days ago, pops into instant stunning beauty. The stark contrast cannot help but move you.

My parents drank coffee, black everyday...NEVER tea. She would make this nasty saccharin sweetened powdered iced tea. I never ever knew her to brew even a teabag.

My first hot tea was out of a vending machine pulling an all nighter in college. I was obviously not hooked by that experience. Over the years I would have hot tea very rarely. It was not til 1999 that I finally had the loose leaf and was instantly hooked.

Almost the very last of my very last sencha!!! Sencha Tokusen, I never thought I was going to be able to finish this sencha, almost hated it when I first opened it. Now that it is him or nothing, I have grown to appreciate it.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 5th, '08, 14:42

by Salsero » May 5th, '08, 14:42

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:... but after one mug of that my shincha order arrived so now I have Fukamushi Sencha Supreme. It is awesome!
Tease!

May 5th, '08, 14:58

by olivierco » May 5th, '08, 14:58

Houjicha with dinner and now sencha Kaburagien. I have to make some room for the shincha.

May 5th, '08, 15:03

by RussianSoul » May 5th, '08, 15:03

Salsero wrote:Image
I want that pot. Salsero, I am sending you my address...

We always drank tea in Russia. It was not a choice one made. You'd drink tea or milk or water back in those days. Or vodka :twisted: . Many chose the last option. The region I grew up in was famous for their wine grapes, so wine was another option. I drank tea since I was very little, but I don't remember the age exactly. To give you an idea - it was since before Beatles :roll:.

Emerald Lily is in my cup. Waiting for shincha...

May 5th, '08, 15:10

by insanitylater » May 5th, '08, 15:10

i had to have been three and like a lot of you it was lipton tea with sugar. i would continue to drink it like that for years. my family did and still reuse a bag of the stuff like 3-4 times. so i don't believe i was too over caffeinated

only had some powdered sencha this morning and i'm hoping i have new tea sitting on my bed when i get home! thanks to dizzwave :-*

May 5th, '08, 15:12

by Chip » May 5th, '08, 15:12

Salsero wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote:... but after one mug of that my shincha order arrived so now I have Fukamushi Sencha Supreme. It is awesome!
Tease!
These are desperate times we live in Master Sal and Russian Soul...

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." (Gandalf the Gray in the mines or Moria...a similarly desperate moment as right now for you and me, Sal...and Russian Soul)

For me, it is to brew what little leftover sencha I have left (after this mornings, I have a gram or 2 left)...then onto guricha (which I am bored stiff with by now)...but wait. I have a bag of premo Gyokuro from Yame in the TeaFridge that was kept for a desperate time as now. :wink:
Last edited by Chip on May 5th, '08, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

May 5th, '08, 15:19

by Chip » May 5th, '08, 15:19

RussianSoul wrote:
Salsero wrote:Image
I want that pot. Salsero, I am sending you my address...

We always drank tea in Russia. It was not a choice one made. You'd drink tea or milk or water back in those days. Or vodka :twisted: . Many chose the last option. The region I grew up in was famous for their wine grapes, so wine was another option. I drank tea since I was very little, but I don't remember the age exactly. To give you an idea - it was since before Beatles :roll:.

Emerald Lily is in my cup. Waiting for shincha...
Russian Soul...waiting for shincha...see also my post above!!!

Sal gets all the addies of all the ladies... :lol:
it was since before Beatles
During the era on Stalin? :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 5th, '08, 15:31

by olivierco » May 5th, '08, 15:31

Chip wrote: For me, it is to brew what little leftover sencha I have left (after this mornings, I have a gram or 2 left)...then onto guricha (which I am bored stiff with by now)...but wait. I have a bag of premo Gyokuro from Yame in the TeaFridge that was kept for a desperate time as now. :wink:
As long you have high quality gyokuro, time isn't desperate.

Some rooibos to end the day.

May 5th, '08, 15:49

by hop_goblin » May 5th, '08, 15:49

Being from the south we always had good sweet tea on hand. However, I didn't have my first cup of gongfu tea until 4 years ago. I know.. How tragic!