MONDAY, TeaDay 5/12/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Galileo's Daughter asked, "Have you ever had tea so bad that you tossed it into the trash?"

Yes, I have thrown away more than one bad tea
61%
Yes, but there was only one that was so bad that I threw it away
8%
I have had teas that were bad enough to trash, but I can't bear to throw away tea, so I just kept them (without drinking them)
18%
I have had teas that were bad enough to trash, but I can't bear to throw away tea, so I just forced myself to drink them
5%
No, so far so good
3%
Other
5%

Total votes: 61

May 12th, '08, 14:54

by Wesli » May 12th, '08, 14:54

Comment approved, Salamander. :lol:

Drinking some SHINCHA FUKAMUSHI SUPREME.

May 12th, '08, 14:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 12th, '08, 14:59

I am trying to discern the difference between bad tea and tea that I just don't like. If I just don't like it, like rooibos, I pass it on.

Still trying to drink up this darjeeling sample. It's from Ambrosia Teas, their samples are huge. It's good, but not memorable.

Does anyone else think most sample sizes are too big?

May 12th, '08, 15:17

by Salsero » May 12th, '08, 15:17

Wesli wrote: SHINCHA FUKAMUSHI SUPREME.
Life just does not get better than this! Drinking super fresh sencha with friends and being called Salamander by Wesli.

May 12th, '08, 15:34

by olivierco » May 12th, '08, 15:34

Darjeeling Namring SFTGFOP1 and now some rooibos to end a 6 tea Teaday

May 12th, '08, 15:45

by Scarlet Glow » May 12th, '08, 15:45

Sadly, I've thrown out a couple of teas that I didn't like.

About a month ago I tried drinking a tea blend that was the very first tea (aside from instant) that I ever had. I had not drank this tea since that 'first time' and I wish that first time would have been my last. I say that because I took a sip and thought I was going to be sick because it tasted so bad. The tea wasn't really that old so I don't think it had gone bad, but it wasn't anything like I had remembered. Oh well.

Ironicly the tea blend that I am talking about is called Scarlet Glow. :roll:

White Peony in my cup this afternoon.

May 12th, '08, 16:57

by henley » May 12th, '08, 16:57

Guilty of throwing out tea & I may not be finished yet! There have been a few teas that I didn't need to try but once to know that I didn't like them. I've never been "an acquired taste" type person. Either I like it the first time or I don't.

No tea yet today but it's been busy. Looking forward to relaxing w/a nice cuppa tonight.
Scarlet Glow wrote:Ironicly the tea blend that I am talking about is called Scarlet Glow.
Nothing quite like irony! :wink:

May 12th, '08, 17:20

by Victoria » May 12th, '08, 17:20

Cold and rainy here in usually sunny Southern California today. I do like the rain and we do need it so desperately. Yet today I feel cold and melancholy rambling around in this big house by myself. So I dipped into my special reserve, my very best tea, my Long Juan TQY, hoping for some warming comforting relief.

May 12th, '08, 17:35

by Chip » May 12th, '08, 17:35

Victoria wrote:Cold and rainy here in usually sunny Southern California today. I do like the rain and we do need it so desperately. Yet today I feel cold and melancholy rambling around in this big house by myself. So I dipped into my special reserve, my very best tea, my Long Juan TQY, hoping for some warming comforting relief.
Cold and rainy here as well...dipping into Shincha to warm me up! Hatsumi.

Back to the question of the day. In the very few attempt to throw tea away, I have stared into the trash, literally, comtemplating taking it back out, rescueing it. I think I have actually pulled it back out already.

It just really bugs me to throw tea away. I think of a poor Chinese harvester, picking the leaves by the millions. And I just caually throw it away??? So, I will find a purpose for the tea no matter what, even if it is only in my own mind.

This is not a particularly mentally healthy way of dealing with it...but it has brought about the advent of the TeaBath Reserve for instance...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 12th, '08, 17:44

by auggy » May 12th, '08, 17:44

ShinCha wrote:It just really bugs me to throw tea away. I think of a poor Chinese harvester, picking the leaves by the millions. And I just casually throw it away??? So, I will find a purpose for the tea no matter what, even if it is only in my own mind.
Wow. Well, at least you are appreciative of the tea pickers! :lol:

I'm wondering how good icky tea (and old tea) will be for some of my plants after the past few TD polls.

Oh, I figured out yesterday why all my tea is tasting a little funny. I am getting a sinus infection. *sigh* Drinking some orange oolong today. The orange flavor is strong enough that the taste is messed up enough by my general level of ickiness.

May 12th, '08, 19:14

by Beanbean » May 12th, '08, 19:14

I answered the question yes but perhaps my experience is not what was meant.

When my father passed away five years ago, I flew from Colorado to Maine for the funeral. My aunt, who knew that I preferred tea to coffee, assured me that she had LOTS of tea in the house so I was not to worry. The first morning she heated water and then handed me a cannister that looked like it hadn't been opened for a decade and told me to pick my tea. :shock: I chose something that might have been Red Rose in a previous life and hoped for the best. When my aunt went to the shower I took the opportunity to dump the "tea" and helped myself to a cup of coffee. I bought some fresh Red Rose for the remainder of my stay. (She probably still has the box of tea!)

May 12th, '08, 20:04

by LavenderPekoe » May 12th, '08, 20:04

I emptied another tin today so I feel like I am out of tea (I am actually not, there are still some in the cupboard, but some are really close to being gone and some are so old I don't even want to give them away). Anyway, I just placed a huge Adagio order. I would like to spread my ordering around sometimes, but I like my Adagio teas a lot (and my dad orders only from them and through me) so I just let myself do it. I have so many of the sample tins I could almost build a house. :)

Anyway, I had 2 cups of Stash's Dragonfruit to finish it off and a cup of my home blended Moroccan Mint.
Teas for trade:

May 12th, '08, 21:27

by Ron Gilmour » May 12th, '08, 21:27

I have thrown out my share of teas. I remember a particularly vile blackcurrant tea that I bought before I figured out that I just don't care for flavored tea. I also tossed a really nasty TGY once. Life is too short to drink bad tea, and I don't have the cupboard space to keep it around.

Salsero, I'm with you on the cheap Assams from Indian markets. That's some of my favorite breakfast tea.

Selaphiel, I've been drinking Phuguri Darjeeling all day. It's very good, but I agree with you in not calling it top of the line. I have some Castleton that's even better.

Too late for tea now, so enjoying a really good Pinot Noir from Oregon.

May 12th, '08, 21:32

by Thirsty Daruma » May 12th, '08, 21:32

I threw away a Stash Licorice Spice tea recently. Well, I didn't so much throw it away as spiked it into the trashbag with relish.

And today is Adagio's Darjeeling #1. The tea was good, but the photos came about great. Can't wait to put those on the blog.

May 12th, '08, 21:53

by bi lew chun » May 12th, '08, 21:53

A friend brought me back an oolong from San Francisco. It looked like mulch, and tasted worse. It turned the water black, almost like some kind of coloring was coming off of the "tea."

I recall tossing a box of lapsang souchong at one time or another.

May 12th, '08, 22:31

by Victoria » May 12th, '08, 22:31

Thirsty Daruma wrote:I threw away a Stash Licorice Spice tea recently. Well, I didn't so much throw it away as spiked it into the trashbag with relish.
The person who put licorice and spice with tea should be ... shot.