SUNDAY TeaDay 5/18/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Still discussing vendors, when selecting or evaluating a vendor, which is most important?

Price
No votes
Quality
34%
The relationship of price to quality...value
45%
Selection
6%
Customer service
No votes
Reputation or what other TeaChatters are saying about the vendor
9%
Gut feeling
4%
Other
2%

Total votes: 53

May 18th, '08, 10:42

by augie » May 18th, '08, 10:42

I get money, I need tea, I want a certain kind, i look at 2/3 vendors and buy the best that I can afford.

For the 3rd year in a row I am a new mommie. We have a set of house finches that nest under our porch. the first year they had 5 eggs/4 babies. This year it looks like 2, but there could be one under the two you can see here. They decided to upgrade to the larger robin's nest this year:

Sorry I couldn't fit a teacup up on the ledge . . .
No animals were touched or harmed during the photography. I got off my ladder as soon as I heard the parents talking to me.

May 18th, '08, 11:15

by chamekke » May 18th, '08, 11:15

I voted quality as being most important - what's the point of economy if you end up with a tea that's not delicious?

But, quality in isolation doesn't mean much. It can be the greatest tea in the world, but if the price really is too high, I won't be able to afford it. If the seller is unreliable, I may never receive my order. And so forth :wink:

Earnestly working my way through my sample of Adagio Oolong #8 at the moment. It's OK, but it doesn't wow me enough to reorder. Still, as a greenhead, I think it's good to take a walk on the wild side every now and again!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 18th, '08, 11:17

by Beanbean » May 18th, '08, 11:17

All this quality vs value talk begs the question, does more money equal a better cup of tea? I say no. Granted, the chances of getting better tea by spending more money is much greater but I would argue that the discerning tea buyer can find excellent tea without breaking the bank.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

May 18th, '08, 11:24
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » May 18th, '08, 11:24

I chose Reputation or what other TeaChatters are saying about the vendor because I didn't want to choose other yet again.

Simple fact is that I choose a vendor for compound reasons. I like to know at least someone who can vouch for 'em, and that they have something I want, and that they don't just grossly overcharge for that desirable thing, etc.

May 18th, '08, 11:44

by henley » May 18th, '08, 11:44

I'm home!!! Thanx for all the well wishes. Once we got there, we had a BLAST!!! I've seen the Eagles & Don Henley in concert before so last night was another great show. Including 3 encores, the concert was apr 3 hrs. I even won 2 tickets to Steve Miller Band concert on Memorial Day! :D We decided to come home after the concert. Got home about 2:00 & slept in this morning so no tea yet.

I don't mind paying extra for a tea I really like. But I don't want to pay extra just for the sake of spending extra so I do tend to shop for value.

Augie, I know what you mean about the birds. We have barn swallows that like to build on our front porch every spring. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make such a mess.
LadyTiger wrote:I'm cheating this morning because I wanted something quick and sweet so sweet tea it is with scrabbled eggs and toast.
A little sweet tea never hurt anybody! :wink:

Off to start the day & fix some tea to get me going!

May 18th, '08, 12:22

by insanitylater » May 18th, '08, 12:22

maybe use a bit more leaf sal because hibiki seems to have mild tea. i haven't tried it lower than 175F yet but maybe i'll give 160F a try

May 18th, '08, 12:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 18th, '08, 12:24

insanitylater wrote:maybe use a bit more leaf sal because hibiki seems to have mild tea. i haven't tried it lower than 175F yet but maybe i'll give 160F a try
I've been messing around with it, and I think you are right. It has a nice fresh taste, I must say. Sort of reminds me of hay on the farm. Thanks again, IL!

May 18th, '08, 12:33

by bambooforest » May 18th, '08, 12:33

chamekke wrote:I voted quality as being most important - what's the point of economy if you end up with a tea that's not delicious?
Well said. Ultimately, you're paying for pleasure. Isn't that what we are paying for? If the tea is priced amazingly, but doesn't give us the pleasure that we seek -- was it a good purchase?

May 18th, '08, 12:42

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 18th, '08, 12:42

I go for value. I like good tea, but I also like reasonable prices.

Now that I am home, I can finally have my favorite version of breakfast: turkey bacon and tea. The turkey bacon was accompanied by Peach Oolong with a cinnamon stick. I'll probably brew up some Fukamushi Sencha Supreme while I finish making two large pitchers of iced tea for our small family gathering later.

May 18th, '08, 12:50

by Ladytiger » May 18th, '08, 12:50

I just wanted to share my tea "pot".
This was taken awhile ago and now it seems much fuller.

May 18th, '08, 13:00

by TimeforTea » May 18th, '08, 13:00

Quality to me is most important, but not if it's going to break the bank. Therefore, price:quality, or value, is most important.

This morning, I brewed oolong #40 in my gaiwan.

May 18th, '08, 13:05

by TimeforTea » May 18th, '08, 13:05

chamekke wrote:Earnestly working my way through my sample of Adagio Oolong #8 at the moment. It's OK, but it doesn't wow me enough to reorder. Still, as a greenhead, I think it's good to take a walk on the wild side every now and again!
I agree with you Chamekke. I'm not that crazy about oolong #8 either. I enjoy oolong #12, #18, and #40 more.

May 18th, '08, 13:34

by olivierco » May 18th, '08, 13:34

Kaburagien sencha this afternoon.
Darjeeling Risheehat SFTGFOP1 just after dinner.

Both quality teas, about $1.25 each per session. Tea isn't expensive.

May 18th, '08, 14:03

by Chip » May 18th, '08, 14:03

Who thought this poll up...another cruel one. :roll: But the discussion is great...as always!

VALUE...it is the relationship of price and quality...always analizing this aspect. This was a bit of an escape answer for peeps like me who cannot make a decision :lol:

While I am always looking for a great sencha, price is in the equation. Thus I never buy from Sencha.com or a couple other rip off sites who rip off gringos.

I am always also looking for the ideal everyday sencha that I can drink everyday along with more expensive ones. But a cheap one that is lousy is no bargain.

Today so far, yep Kirakeki. At a lofty 37 bucks a hundred grams this is actually a GREAT value, comparable to other hand picked costing much more. I like this better than Hashiri which is around 33% more costly. A GREAT VALUE!

May 18th, '08, 14:10

by Chip » May 18th, '08, 14:10

Salsero wrote:
insanitylater wrote:maybe use a bit more leaf sal because hibiki seems to have mild tea. i haven't tried it lower than 175F yet but maybe i'll give 160F a try
I've been messing around with it, and I think you are right. It has a nice fresh taste, I must say. Sort of reminds me of hay on the farm. Thanks again, IL!
My Farmer shincha is "lost at sea"...it is a week past due!!! I missed this one last year because I waited one day too long to oder. This year, I ordered as soon as it was available. Now 12 days in transit...along with Super Premium Shincha. I am beyond growing concerned for its sustained quality, now I wonder if it is simply lost by USPS.

Definately more leaf and higher temp Sal! I would be going 168-175* in a preheated kyus and play from there. I would be trying around 4.5-5 grams per 180ml. I am guessing this will be a fairly easy brewer!!!

Nice photo as always... :D
Last edited by Chip on May 18th, '08, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.