monday TEADAY 5/19/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you buy tea mostly from...?

Domestic Vendors, from my country
57%
International Vendors, from country of teas' origins
37%
Other
7%

Total votes: 60

May 19th, '08, 12:29

by TimeforTea » May 19th, '08, 12:29

The majority of my teas are from Adagio, but some are from international companies. It's pretty cool to get something in the mail from Japan or China, actually.

This morning, I brewed Oolong #18, western style, 180 degrees, for 3 minutes. It tasted much better this time around than at a higher temp. Later today, I'll add more leaves and use my gaiwan.

Still have more tea to play with from Scruff's package, as well! The tea fun never ends. :D

May 19th, '08, 13:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 19th, '08, 13:17

Teasweetie wrote:Still have more tea to play with from Scruff's package, as well! The tea fun never ends.
That package of Scruff's sure found a good home.

May 19th, '08, 13:25

by Chip » May 19th, '08, 13:25

Interestingly, adagio is a direct source buyer of tea as are more and more domestic vendors. I get a lot of domestic and a lot direct from country of origin. I am a long time believer in supporting one's local economy whenever possible, but locally, only skanky leaf around these parts.

I was trying to hold out for my O-Cha order which will arrive from Japan in hopefully a few days. But, I could wait no longer and opened up Shincha Fukamushi from hibiki-an.

This is the oddest shincha of the year so far. My first impression tasting it was...whoa...sweet, marine...and very fresh with a pleasant level of astringency. It is such an odd taste. It is great how sencha can truly vary so greatly. This is possibly the sweetest sencha I ever had...it is dominant...right up front. You can't miss it from your first sip to the last. Not an obscure reference from a vendor that you struggle and struggle to find...BAM!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 19th, '08, 13:42

by RussianSoul » May 19th, '08, 13:42

I buy tea from both domestic and international companies. But interestingly my most local source - Tea Gschwendner - is based in Germany! :D

Having a cup of Tai Ping Hou Kui from TeaSpring. Mmmm! Mmmmm... I measured the longest dry leaf before I put it in a pot, it was 3.5 inches long! The leaves actually fitted into my Fujigata, but I had to arrange them standing up like a tipi. It was fun to play with my food! (Don't tell my mom!)

May 19th, '08, 13:44

by Pentox » May 19th, '08, 13:44

I'm mostly domestic, I put in my first true international orders this shincha season. But as some people are pointing out the nature of a "domestic" vendor is dubious. For instance my vendor of choice, Lupicia, is a Japanese company that gets their product from Lupicia corp in Japan, so everything is shipped over from Japan, but it's here so I guess it's more a domestic in this case. Questionable line though.

May 19th, '08, 13:49

by Pentox » May 19th, '08, 13:49

RussianSoul wrote:I buy tea from both domestic and international companies. But interestingly my most local source - Tea Gschwendner - is based in Germany! :D
I just got my first order from them in last friday. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks interesting. The cups are amazing from them.

May 19th, '08, 13:50

by Salsero » May 19th, '08, 13:50

Chip wrote: opened up Shincha Fukamushi
Oooo, I am so excited. I have this sitting in my pale imitation of the Ur-TeaFridge.
RussianSoul wrote:Having a cup of Tai Ping Hou Kui from TeaSpring. Mmmm! Mmmmm... I measured the longest dry leaf before I put it in a pot, it was 3.5 inches long! The leaves actually fitted into my Fujigata, but I had to arrange them standing up like a tipi. It was fun to play with my food! (Don't tell my mom!)
I haven't ordered this one yet this year, but last year it was by far my fav China Green.
TeaGswendner was the first place I ordered tea from online. After 2 or 3 orders, I wasn't much tempted to go back. Their site is a mess, they have too much tea to choose from, and I wasn't impressed with the freshness. Your experience in the bricks and mortar version is making me seriously re-consider.

May 19th, '08, 14:08

by Victoria » May 19th, '08, 14:08

Wow three pages of posts and it's still morning!! Well here on the West Coast anyway!

I buy from both US and International. It was a tough call for me.
But my favorite oolong vendors are international.

So my morning brew is a Darjeeling wannabe oolong.

Have a nice day all!
Last edited by Victoria on May 19th, '08, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, '08, 14:14

by Victoria » May 19th, '08, 14:14

Pentox wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:I buy tea from both domestic and international companies. But interestingly my most local source - Tea Gschwendner - is based in Germany! :D
I just got my first order from them in last friday. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks interesting. The cups are amazing from them.
Their oolongs were a disappointment, and the volume!
I do agree they have some nice teaware!

May 19th, '08, 14:14

by PolyhymnianMuse » May 19th, '08, 14:14

All of the tea I have bought so far has been from domestic suppliers within the US. I am looking forward to trying shincha direct from the source very soon. I would love to compare teas from the source verse domestic importers but the time it takes in shipping puts me off a little. I have heard orders from china taking weeks... :(

May 19th, '08, 15:09

by Pentox » May 19th, '08, 15:09

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:All of the tea I have bought so far has been from domestic suppliers within the US. I am looking forward to trying shincha direct from the source very soon. I would love to compare teas from the source verse domestic importers but the time it takes in shipping puts me off a little. I have heard orders from china taking weeks... :(
solution: hibiki-an, orders over 38.00 get free shipping.

May 19th, '08, 15:32

by Salsero » May 19th, '08, 15:32

It's here it's here: O-Cha's Uji Shincha Kirameki. And they packaged in two of my favorite colors, purple and lavendar.
ImageNow, what to do with it! My Green Team is all either swimming in too much shincha or on vacation.
Last edited by Salsero on May 19th, '08, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, '08, 15:55

by olivierco » May 19th, '08, 15:55

Jasmine pearls to close the day. Only two teas today...

May 19th, '08, 16:00

by Ladytiger » May 19th, '08, 16:00

Salsero wrote:
Ladytiger wrote:I'm confused, should I have black tea or oolong for Victoria Day?
Actually, I think there is a possibility that the great Monarch may have been more likely to consume green tea, especially early on in her 63-year reign. Any knowledgeable historians out there today?
She probably would have drank black tea since it still took a while for things to get shipped, but my knowlege of history doesn't extend that recent. I'm more of a Renaissance type of gal. But if you really want to know, I'll look throught The History of the World in Six Glass and see if it was porbabal.

May 19th, '08, 17:34

by Katrina » May 19th, '08, 17:34

Domestic for me primarily. Mostly because I haven't learned which sources to trust elsewhere. That will come in time, I'm sure.

TKY again today. I'm on a bit of a mission. 3 in my cabinet from different vendors and I'm determined to ID my favorite and the best way to brew it. So, likely TKY for a few days. I also had some Cheericup Ceylon - I got the chance to brew my dad his FIRST cup of loose leaf tea EVER. Very exciting. He's here for a few more days so I'll be sure to make him try some others!
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com