monday TEADAY 5/19/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you buy tea mostly from...?

Domestic Vendors, from my country
57%
International Vendors, from country of teas' origins
37%
Other
7%

Total votes: 60

May 19th, '08, 17:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 19th, '08, 17:41

Pentox wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:All of the tea I have bought so far has been from domestic suppliers within the US. I am looking forward to trying shincha direct from the source very soon. I would love to compare teas from the source verse domestic importers but the time it takes in shipping puts me off a little. I have heard orders from china taking weeks... :(
solution: hibiki-an, orders over 38.00 get free shipping.
If the vendor ships via the slow boat...sure, but most domestic vendors receive their tea shipments this route.

I deal basically with international vendors who air ship. Most orders get here in a week.

Hashiri is shincha 2 of the day. This is such a stark contrast with the Fukamushi that was soooo sweet this morning. I went from one of the sweetest sencha I have ever had to this which is one of the most astringent sencha I ever had.

Still, both are good...the blender in me is thinking what would happen if I mixed them. :idea: Unorthodox to be sure... :roll:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 19th, '08, 17:48

by henley » May 19th, '08, 17:48

Been on the run all day & headed out again shortly. Managed to sneak in a cuppa hot cinnamon spice this morning but looking forward to more tea tonight!

May 19th, '08, 18:31

by Ron Gilmour » May 19th, '08, 18:31

I buy domestic to keep the shipping costs down.

Sal, your photos really are wonderful and are much appreciated. Having grown up in north Florida, things like Southern Magnolia and mimosa flowers remind me of home.

Relaxing after work with a cup of Adagio's Spring Darjeeling.

May 19th, '08, 18:33

by daughteroftheKing » May 19th, '08, 18:33

Domestic, because 80% of my tea comes from Adagio.

Three lovely teas so far today: White Peach, White Monkey green, and Milk Scented Kinsen Oolong.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

May 19th, '08, 19:29

by Salsero » May 19th, '08, 19:29

Ron Gilmour wrote:Having grown up in north Florida, things like Southern Magnolia and mimosa flowers remind me of home.
Oh, that makes me feel so good to know! I'll have to shoot some tea with Scuppernongs and Muscadines later! Did your people call grocery store carts "buggies" and automobile license plates "tags?"

Chipster and Insanitylater: I upped the leaf and temp for the Farmers' Shincha and it really sings ... and with a unique fresh voice. And with these big leaf pieces, it's almost like I'm drinking a Chinese green.

May 19th, '08, 20:10

by Chip » May 19th, '08, 20:10

Salsero wrote:
Ron Gilmour wrote:Having grown up in north Florida, things like Southern Magnolia and mimosa flowers remind me of home.
Oh, that makes me feel so good to know! I'll have to shoot some tea with Scuppernongs and Muscadines later! Did your people call grocery store carts "buggies" and automobile license plates "tags?"

Chipster and Insanitylater: I upped the leaf and temp for the Farmers' Shincha and it really sings ... and with a unique fresh voice. And with these big leaf pieces, it's almost like I'm drinking a Chinese green.
Glad I could help...my Farmer Shitza is still lost over the Pacific...2 weeks to the day since shipped. Normally it is 4-6 days.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 19th, '08, 20:20

by augie » May 19th, '08, 20:20

Salsero: You've outdone yourself, again! Really like the backlighting against the magnolia to bring out the white that contrasts against the foliage. Keep it coming!

I buy from both. Whatever I have the craving for that I can afford. I have my eye on the Sincha, but have probably hesitated too long. I am still working my way through my Pu Ehr sample bonanza.

It is cold and rainy here and I have the porch light on for our baby birds. Parents come by every 30 minutes to chuck food into their little mouths. Then they go back to bed. Should fledge very soon, not much down left on their feathers.

May 19th, '08, 20:48

by henley » May 19th, '08, 20:48

Salsero wrote: I'll have to shoot some tea with Scuppernongs and Muscadines later!
Now you're talking my language! :wink: My gpa used to grow both of those & the scuppernongs were always my favorite.

May 19th, '08, 20:51

by RussianSoul » May 19th, '08, 20:51

augie wrote:Salsero: You've outdone yourself, again!
What she said!

I spent some time figuring out a clever compliment, but didn't come up with anything clever except that your image is beautiful and gives me a happy feeling. Like a really sweet Long Jing, y'know...

May 19th, '08, 22:09

by scruffmcgruff » May 19th, '08, 22:09

Great photo, Sal!

I mostly order tea from international vendors; not as a rule, but because I haven't found a domestic vendor that can beat the best overseas ones.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

May 19th, '08, 22:54

by Katrina » May 19th, '08, 22:54

Henley - Love the avatar. Made me laugh. You must have really had a great time last weekend. So glad!
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

May 19th, '08, 22:57

by chamekke » May 19th, '08, 22:57

Wow - that was a magnolia? What an amazing blossom... and another breathtaking photo from Salsero.

To quote the lady in the infamously cheesy Ferrero Rocher euro-ad, "With these photos you are really spoiling us!"

And Sal? You really are :D

May 19th, '08, 23:02

by Salsero » May 19th, '08, 23:02

chamekke wrote:Wow - that was a magnolia?
Yes, you Yankees, Magnolia flowers are fabulous and they have a powerful aroma of sweet lemon, much like some Ceylons and Darjeelings. I'm really loving all these compliments everyone is giving me today. The timing couldn't be better.

I promise a more down to earth photo for tomorrow.

May 19th, '08, 23:22

by chamekke » May 19th, '08, 23:22

Salsero wrote:
chamekke wrote:Wow - that was a magnolia?
Yes, you Yankees, Magnolia flowers are fabulous and they have a powerful aroma of sweet lemon, much like some Ceylons and Darjeelings. I'm really loving all these compliments everyone is giving me today. The timing couldn't be better.

I promise a more down to earth photo for tomorrow.
We do actually have magnolias in the milder parts of Canada, but they look nothing like that beauty. I think the variety we have hereabouts is the Kobushi Magnolia... it's more floopsy.

{exits right, muttering enviously about gorgeous southern magnolias}

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 19th, '08, 23:24

by Salsero » May 19th, '08, 23:24

chamekke wrote:more floopsy
Yes I think I have heard about the Magnolia floopsii, sp.. Not an uncommon varietal around Frostbite Falls.