tuesday TEADAY 5/20/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Besides TEA, what other serious food interests do you have?

Wine
4%
Chocolate
13%
Gourmet cooking
7%
Baking
4%
Beer
15%
Spirits
2%
Fine Dining
5%
Sushi
5%
Ethnic cuisine
11%
Fruits or veggies
5%
Other
29%

Total votes: 55

May 20th, '08, 10:39

by daughteroftheKing » May 20th, '08, 10:39

I put "other" because I'm very much a carnivore - more into steaks, roasts, fowl, etc.

Terrasi - White Monkey is a nice light green, even though the name says white...Adagio sells it. I also really like Emerald Petals (LuAn Gua Pian), from enjoyingtea.com. I love veggies, but not too much in my teacup.

Sal - Love the red transferware; such a graceful shape. Sitting in the garden like that almost looks like an antique treasure one would find while digging up a new flowerbed (except these are in beautiful condition!).

Irish Breakfast the only tea so far in my cup this morning.

Happy Tuesday!
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

May 20th, '08, 10:44

by witches brew » May 20th, '08, 10:44

I voted for other, because my interests include fine (vegetarian) dining, wine, and ethnic food (particularly Indian).

I"m spending the day at home today, waiting for furniture to be delivered and relaxing from the breakneck pace of the past two weeks. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's tea ceremony demonstration at the Urasenke school.

In my cup this morning, the second infusion of Hashiri Shincha. I must have done something right, because it's subtle, sweet, astringent, and faintly asparagus tasting. MMMMMmmm.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 20th, '08, 10:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 20th, '08, 10:45

henley wrote:So far, this glass is my only tea today.
Wow, beautiful, Henley. I'm hearing a lot of these tea people liking some pretty exotic foods as well. Yummm...

May 20th, '08, 10:47

by auggy » May 20th, '08, 10:47

I chose sushi, but really I'm always on the hunt for good Japanese food of any kind. I'd still like to find a place that makes okonomiyaki, but sadly, no go.

Now I must go back and read all the posts from Sunday and Monday. I missed a lot! Chatty folks! :wink:

May 20th, '08, 11:16

by DangerInRed » May 20th, '08, 11:16

henley wrote:
Salsero wrote:Tea in the garden anyone?

Okay, I'll join you. Except mine is a glass of sweet tea made w/pom oolong. :wink:
Pomegranate oolong sweet tea? That sounds amazing! Did you make it yourself?

I put chocolate, even though it's not at tea status, I do love me some high-end chocolate, the kind with the weird flavors. Interestingly though, I prefer milk chocolate to dark.

Today's tea is Coconut Cream Pie, because I felt like something sweet.

May 20th, '08, 11:19

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 20th, '08, 11:19

Salsero wrote:When she was in elementary school, my Venzuelan step-daughter always had first dibs on the eyeballs of the fish.
LOL We love to watch Andrew Zimmerman's "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel. I think I remember him eating eyeballs a few times. I'm not big into the innards of the fish, including roe, though my daughter likes the way they pop in her mouth.

Casablanca Twist for my second tea this morning. Yikes, people, I think I see the sun!

May 20th, '08, 11:52

by olivierco » May 20th, '08, 11:52

Kirameki shincha after work. Simply excellent.

May 20th, '08, 12:11

by TimeforTea » May 20th, '08, 12:11

I am very passionate about healthy eating and it led to my current career path. I chose other, because "fruits and veggies" doesn't quite cut it. I would have chosen a category called "healthy eating".

I also do enjoy the occassional glass of pinot, as well as an after dinner piece of dark chocolate or two. Before discovering tea, I was considering embarking on a rookie wine hobby, but thought there was just too much to learn. Little did I know about tea! :lol:

Funny thing happened, actually. A close friend gave me milk chocolate for my b'day (of which I'm still trying to figure out why! :?), and I actually disliked it. I have grown to really enjoy and appreciate dark chocolate. Thankfully, Costco sells a large $10 bag of European chocolate wraped in very small pieces, of which my husband and I take months to get through!

Anyways, my days revolve around mostly very simple non-gourmet healthy eating and treats in moderation: lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, legumes, fish, low fat dairy...along with my occassional treats of pizza, chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies, dark chocolate...... :D

I'm going to take this opportunity, too, to apologize to anyone who I may have offended on teachat IM. I sometimes can get a little too passionate on my healthy-eating soap box! :wink:

This morning's tea: my favorite so far from Scruff's package. I really liked this tea a lot!! Anxi Mao Xie, an oolong tea from jing tea shop. Brewed it western style in the morning. Will brew with my gaiwan later, especially since the leaves opened up and I can see how much room they'll take up.
Last edited by TimeforTea on May 20th, '08, 12:42, edited 3 times in total.

May 20th, '08, 12:19

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 20th, '08, 12:19

I need an almost all of the above answer for this one. We live very close the Finger Lakes Region in New York where there are lots of wineries so I've learned a good amount about different wines and love going wine tasting. I also love to cook and bake from scratch. I'm not really a chocolate person since I have dairy issues, but I do enjoy an occasional dark chocolate.

No tea yet, but I will be making some to take with me on errands shortly.

May 20th, '08, 12:20

by TimeforTea » May 20th, '08, 12:20

Beidao wrote: And fish free sushi.
Isn't that an oxymoron? :wink:

May 20th, '08, 12:26

by TimeforTea » May 20th, '08, 12:26

daughteroftheKing wrote:Terrasi - White Monkey is a nice light green, even though the name says white...Adagio sells it. I also really like Emerald Petals (LuAn Gua Pian), from enjoyingtea.com. I love veggies, but not too much in my teacup.
Terrasi, I agree with daughteroftheking's recommendations. I also enjoy upton's jade supreme, which they list as a green tea. I find Chinese greens to be less vegetal than Japanese greens.

May 20th, '08, 12:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 20th, '08, 12:28

Teasweetie wrote: my current career path
Which would be? I agree with you about healthy eating. It is a disgrace how little the US population knows about nutrition.

May 20th, '08, 12:59

by auggy » May 20th, '08, 12:59

Teasweetie wrote:
Not at all - sushi doesn't refer to raw fish, instead it refers to the vinegared rice used. So you can have egg sushi, cucumber, etc... No fish required!

Though the fish can be really good! :wink:

May 20th, '08, 13:24

by Beidao » May 20th, '08, 13:24

auggy wrote:
Teasweetie wrote:
Not at all - sushi doesn't refer to raw fish, instead it refers to the vinegared rice used. So you can have egg sushi, cucumber, etc... No fish required!

Though the fish can be really good! :wink:
Thankyou auggy for helping me out :) Most places in Stockholm serve with tofu, avocado and cucumber, but there's one really lovely place where they have different mushrooms, sprouts, marinated onion, asparagus, sea grass, pepper, carrot... different every time, and many colours. It's an experience for both taste and eye.

I like fishes more when they swim :wink: I don't eat red sweets either since the red colours come from lice. Nothing that has been carved or squeezed from something that can be called an animal will enter my mouth as long as I think and feel :twisted:

Oh, this was a tea forum, I sort of forgot... Since my last post I've had Keemun. And ice tea Lapsang (yummy). And Green Rooibos. And I've made two overbrewed Nilgiri cups that the sink drank. Now... TKY time!! :lol:
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 20th, '08, 13:35

by RussianSoul » May 20th, '08, 13:35

I cook Chinese and Indian. Love curries, dahl, various stir-fried meats with veggies, rice dishes a plenty. My husband complains that the stuff is too tasty and he is gaining inches and pounds. My daughter complains it is not spicy enough. :roll:

Sushi (with fish) is my favorite go out for dinner thing. There's never enough raw fish...

I am having a cup of Meng Ding Huang Ya, yellow tea from TeaSpring. This is one elegant cup of tea. Sweet, delicate, smooth, slightly viscous, but not too much, slightly vegetal, but not overly so, and buttery like gyokuro. In the mouth it feels like licking a glass ball, gliding and refreshing. (Don't ask me how do I know what licking a glass ball feels like. Just get a glass ball, go to the corner, turn away and lick it. Don't tell anyone. :twisted: )

Love the new photo, Sal!
Last edited by RussianSoul on May 20th, '08, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.