wednesday TEADAY 5/21/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you a first-generation tea drinker?

Yes
40%
Yes, essentially
28%
No
32%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 60

May 21st, '08, 07:21

by chrl42 » May 21st, '08, 07:21

My uncle is a buddhist monk. A huge tea drinker. When I was young, I would be brought to his house with my family, he used to say "first brew tastes by aroma, second brew the taste and third one lingers in your mouth". But mostly Korean greens and all what he drinks. It's me who discovered the world of Chinese teas, my main interest in Chinese culture and art.

May 21st, '08, 07:22

by Carnelian » May 21st, '08, 07:22

I am first generation, essentially. I grew up seeing my mom making the occasional pitcher of iced tea in her Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker (the name was always ironic to me) with lipton tea bags or making instant tea. Then I found green tea, then loose leaf. Now my mom just lets me make iced tea for her.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

May 21st, '08, 07:37

by Beanbean » May 21st, '08, 07:37

EVERYONE in my family drinks coffee. Everyone will have the occasional cup of Lipton or a tisane but nobody is "hardcore" like me.

My son is a second generation tea drinker. :roll:

Assam this morning and a long day ahead of me.

May 21st, '08, 07:53

by olivierco » May 21st, '08, 07:53

Darjeeling Phuguri FTGFOP1.

May 21st, '08, 08:25

by TimeforTea » May 21st, '08, 08:25

Yes, I am a first generation tea enthusiast.

Both of my parents drink coffee daily. I may have seen them drink lipton tea a handful of times when they were sick. My dad does enjoy sweet iced tea, though. I don't remember if my grandfathers drank tea. I do remember my grandmother drinking hot water with lemon when she stopped drinking coffee. Perhaps she didn't like lipton tea and so thought she would not like any tea.

This morning, I finished up the last leaves of my Emerald Petals sample. It was strange not brewing a Chinese oolong today! However, we've finally gotten a break from the dreary weather, so I decided it was time for something green.

I am enjoying reading everyone's stories today!

May 21st, '08, 08:48

by Jack_teachat » May 21st, '08, 08:48

As drinking tea is very much part of British daily life alas I am not a first generation tea drinker, although non of my family are into loose leaf greens as far as I am aware.

Not been on Teachat for a while as I have my University finals coming up but have still been making time for tea! In my pot today so far has been Yutaka Midori Shincha :D

May 21st, '08, 08:57

by hop_goblin » May 21st, '08, 08:57

Well, that is a tricky question. My family has alway drank ice tea. However, I am the first that enjoys hot tea. Most of my family are coffee drinkers.

May 21st, '08, 09:18

by Selaphiel » May 21st, '08, 09:18

First generation here. Only tea I can remember in our family is my fathers cup of Earl Grey during his lunch break, he always drinks coffee except when he is having his lunch break.
I never touched tea before I started to read about it and got fascinated and tried it the real way in form of Gong Fu Cha, been hooked every since and I take my tea very seriously and working on spreading tea knowledge to my family and friends :)

Today I took a break from the Japanese shincha to enjoy some of the new Darjeeling as well. So Darjeeling Risheehat DJ7 is in my cup now, my favorite Darjeeling so far this year.

May 21st, '08, 09:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 21st, '08, 09:28

First-generation here. My parents and grandparents boiled water on the stove with a scoop of coffee grounds in it, then poured it through a strainer into a cup. No coffeemakers for them. Tea influence came from an older lady that lived on our street.

Adagio First Flush Darjeeling in my cup this morning. Very good! I have never had a black that tasted this fresh before.

Have a nice day everyone!

May 21st, '08, 10:39

by chamekke » May 21st, '08, 10:39

Too beautiful not to repeat...
Salsero wrote:Image

The precious chataku really shines here, bearing the full weight of the big glass and festooned with flowers behind her ear. ¡Muy coqueta!
iQue guapa!

Another gorgeous shot. Thank you!

Salsero - can you kindly remind me where you bought your lovely chataku-s? I have some that are similar, but they don't have that lusciously rounded rim. It's giving me chataku envy.

May 21st, '08, 11:19

by witches brew » May 21st, '08, 11:19

I am a fourth-generation tea drinker on my mother's side. Since I can't comment on the quality of tea available to generations past, I am counting them as tea drinkers because the kettle was always on and no family crisis or family celebration could be acknowleded without a pot of tea.

I never met Morgianna, my great-grandmother, but I have my mother's tales of her sending the grandchildren out to pick strawberries in the garden so that they could have them at tea.

Nettie, my grandmother, had a kettle that could make tea for a small army, and we sat at her kitchen table and drank pot after pot of tea. During The War (and she always capitalized it when she spoke. WWII.) tea was scarce, and fresh milk was more scarce. SHe and my mother became accustomed to tinned milk (Evaporated, not condensed) which they drank out of habit for years after. That's also when they became proficient at re-steeping every bit of good out of their tea leaves.

When I was a little girl, I remember the tinned milk. I don't remember when my mother, Jannie, stopped using it, maybe in the early 1960s. I also remember snuggling up on her lap and enjoying the rich fragrance of her tea. I used to tell her that it 'smelled like a mother.'

Tea bags drifted in and out of favor in my mother's house. They were convenient, but there was nothing like a good pot of Indian or Ceylon tea. I have my mother's tea infusers, even though I don't use them, I saved them for the good memories.

It has been a little over a year since my mother crossed over. Drinking tea is an ongoing celebration of her memory.

I raise my cup of genmaicha.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 21st, '08, 11:23

by auggy » May 21st, '08, 11:23

Sal - LOVELY photo today. Well, all your photos are lovely, but this especially so.

I voted yes, but then remembered - I'm from the South. My family has been drinking sweet ice tea forever. But then I don't really consider that the same as what I do and I'm the only one that's into hot teas, though my mom occasionally brews a bag now and then when she feels bad, but that's mostly when she doesn't have TheraFlu, so really, does that count? i don't think so.

May 21st, '08, 11:39

by chamekke » May 21st, '08, 11:39

witches brew, your posting was very beautiful and so evocative. Thank you for sharing your tea memories of your mother and grandmother.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 21st, '08, 12:15

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 21st, '08, 12:15

My family is a combination of coffee and tea drinkers. My mother's side doesn't really drink tea but my father's side does. As I learned a few days ago, my grandfather drinks at least one cup of tea at night after dinner. My father also drinks tea. He found a wine shop in college that had a small rack of loose teas. I remember him mentioning that there was a full leaf Earl Grey that he loved from there. He still enjoys an occasional pot of Earl Grey after dinner. We also have the Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker that is used constantly over the summer. Now, my parents decided I get to make iced iced my way. My cousins and some of my aunts and uncles also drink tea. It is more common to have coffee, but tea is always offered at family gatherings in some form. I think I am the only one who has gotten into good, loose teas though.

Today, I tried the British Breakfast Blend that I found at the organic store yesterday. My first attempt last night was a 4 minute steep time, but that turned out bitter. I looked at the leaves again this morning and realized that they were all broken so I tried a two minute steep time. The tea was not bitter, but it still wasn't great. Thankfully, I only got an ounce of it to try. One day, I will find a nice, strong morning brew that I like.

May 21st, '08, 13:44

by Katrina » May 21st, '08, 13:44

Skipped a generation in my family. My dad's mom was a big tea drinker in her early years. By the time I came around she had devolved to Lipton tea bags that she would dry out and use for a whole day...or even two. :shock:

Her husband was from Mexico and far more of a coffee drinker. (I think just to avoid those tea bags.) My other grandfather had a diner so he was all about coffee...My grandmother too (except she was more about coffee brandy.)

My parents are both coffee only (except for the aforementioned Red Rose bags that stayed in the cupboard for when we were sick.)

So just me for now...My brother too...And I'm working on converting the husband and eventually the kids. :D

TKY again today.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com