friday TEADAY 5/23/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Our topic a few days ago has me wondering, how many TeaChatters like Sushi...with their tea?

I love sushi, preferably with tea
29%
I love sushi
21%
I like sushi
21%
I will eat sushi but am rather indifferent about it
7%
I do not like sushi
9%
I would eat spent tea leaves from last week before I would eat sushi
5%
Other
9%

Total votes: 58

May 23rd, '08, 10:59

by chamekke » May 23rd, '08, 10:59

I eat sushi once a week on average - I love it. Even our local grocery store offers it, made fresh on the premises every day.

Although I'll admit, I also eat it accompanied by sake sometimes :wink:

In my cup - coffee - I need the fast, high-octane stuff this morning because I'm about to go on a 3-day trip. About to visit a friend who lives on a small island that's just off a bigger island.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 23rd, '08, 11:15

by henley » May 23rd, '08, 11:15

augie wrote: So, Thursday was a very LONG day for a few of us.
You ain't lying! We had preschool graduation last night & a reception following. It's been a busy week at my house so I went to bed early last night.

Not a big sushi fan but I don't like fish even if it's cooked (maybe why I don't like fishy tasting green teas? Hmmm). The vegetarian sushi is good, though.

In the cup this morning was another from the TeaPass box. It was Dark Oolong 2nd Grade from TenRen. I'll have to try a second steep but the first cup was disappointing. Will lower the water temp & see if that helps improve the flavor.

May 23rd, '08, 11:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 23rd, '08, 11:40

Teasweetie wrote:This morning, I had my first taste of pouchong, from adagio.
T-S, there is a viscous rumor going around that you have not even TRIED your Sheng Puerh yet. Tell me it's not true!

May 23rd, '08, 11:48

by tenuki » May 23rd, '08, 11:48

Salsero wrote:
T-S, there is a viscous rumor going around that you have not even TRIED your Sheng Puerh yet. Tell me it's not true!
Pu bully. Teasweetie you don't have to try pu if you don't want!!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

May 23rd, '08, 12:00

by augie » May 23rd, '08, 12:00

henley wrote:
augie wrote: So, Thursday was a very LONG day for a few of us.
You ain't lying! We had preschool graduation last night & a reception following. It's been a busy week at my house so I went to bed early last night.
Heck, when I was a kid (Yes, long ago) the last 2 days of school were spent goofing off. My middle schoolers had tests! I did agree -- unfair!

May 23rd, '08, 12:01

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 23rd, '08, 12:01

I love sushi, but I don't get a chance to eat it as much as I would like. There is a place by my college called the Mongolian Buffet that has an all you can eat sushi bar in the back corner of the buffet part. They also have a great dark roasted Chinese Oolong tea. I love going there. Hopefully, I will be able to hit up a sushi restaurant in town this summer that a few of my friends back home discovered.

This morning, I finished up my bag of Sakura Sencha. For the past three or so pots of tea, I finally figured out how to brew it correctly and it tastes awesome. I will miss it, but there is always next spring to get more.

May 23rd, '08, 12:02

by olivierco » May 23rd, '08, 12:02

I eat sushi, but it is not on my favorite food list.

Only one tea today so far (keemun for breakfast) but I will have very soon Kaburagien sencha.

May 23rd, '08, 12:16

by Salsero » May 23rd, '08, 12:16

tenuki wrote:
Salsero wrote:
Pu bully. Teasweetie you don't have to try pu if you don't want!!
Drink up your tea like a good girl if you don't want the boogie man to get you ....

May 23rd, '08, 12:23

by insanitylater » May 23rd, '08, 12:23

now that's really creepy sal

i like sushi but haven't been to a good sushi restaurant in a long time. hate to admit it but i'll pick it up from wegmans occasionally. it's usually overpriced :(

currently in my cup barry's irish blend :oops:
i just needed something warm in my belly as i ate

May 23rd, '08, 12:26

by bambooforest » May 23rd, '08, 12:26

I love sushi. It goes great with green tea, as does all Japanese food.

That being said, I prefer the green tea to be genmaicha or a later flush sencha. I'm not one to drink fine tea with food. I like drinking fine tea all by itself.

This morning, a shincha from the Yame region of Japan. Wonderful tea.

May 23rd, '08, 13:02

by Chip » May 23rd, '08, 13:02

Shincha and sushi...perfect together. But yeah, Bamboo, genmaicha is the way to go in most sushi restuarants anyway since they rarely have great tea anyway.

I love sushi, would prefer to "roll my own" 8) when I can...and I have all the ingredients. I only get a raw fish sushi from a MOST reputable restuarant. I got a touch of food poisoning once...and I was fairly carefull too.

My fav sushi experience was Morimota's In Philly. He was on the original Iron Chef and I think he is on the new (not as good) version. But around 10 courses, one after another. It was like I was one of the judges on Iron Chef. The tea was a total disappointment though...this place is all about high priiced drinks.

Today so far...Fukamushi Supreme from O-Cha and TKY from adagio.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 23rd, '08, 13:08

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 23rd, '08, 13:08

Chip wrote:My fav sushi experience was Morimota's In Philly. He was on the original Iron Chef and I think he is on the new (not as good) version. But around 10 courses, one after another. It was like I was one of the judges on Iron Chef.
I'm completely jealous! I've always wanted to go to his restaurant. I loved that show, used to watch it religiously, and am totally disappointed in the American version. Phooey.

May 23rd, '08, 13:24

by Chip » May 23rd, '08, 13:24

ThinkingOutLoud wrote:
Chip wrote:My fav sushi experience was Morimota's In Philly. He was on the original Iron Chef and I think he is on the new (not as good) version. But around 10 courses, one after another. It was like I was one of the judges on Iron Chef.
I'm completely jealous! I've always wanted to go to his restaurant. I loved that show, used to watch it religiously, and am totally disappointed in the American version. Phooey.
Yeah, the original was so amazing to watch...and a lot of Japanese being spoken. It transported me to Japan each time. It was almost magical yet real classy. The Chairman, the Iron Chefs, the setting...

The American version...it is adaquate, but it is mostly the same 3-4 Food Channel chefs, now in Kitchen Stadium. It was stale after a few episodes. All it needs is Emeril shouting "BAM!" to complete the picture. :shock:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 23rd, '08, 13:30

by omegapd » May 23rd, '08, 13:30

Victoria wrote:
What are the odds, I'd be having one of your favorites this morning?

Adagios Black Cream.
Pretty odd since it's flavored and not an oolong. :lol:

Having another fabulous black tea this afternoon. Red Peach- also known as Hong Tao Mao Feng. Mild, smoky, with no bitterness and takes a pinch of sweetener really well. So far, my last two new teas to try out have been amazing. I wonder how long this will last? :wink:

EW

May 23rd, '08, 14:04

by olivierco » May 23rd, '08, 14:04

Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1, new harvest. More astringent (in a good way) than the three other 2008 Darjeelings (Namring, Phuguri and Risheehat) I have tasted.

Still waiting for my Miyabi...