ThursDay TeaDay 5/29/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today, I am drinking flavored tea, yes or no?

Yes, I am drinking flavored tea today
9%
Yes and No...having had flavored and non flavored tea today (or plan to)
29%
No flavored tea for me today
62%

Total votes: 55

May 29th, '08, 11:22

by Space Samurai » May 29th, '08, 11:22

I don't like flavored tea at all, not my thing. But I'm not a snob about it. I think everyone should drink whatever tea they want however they want; whatever makes them happy. There's a "traditional" way of tea, but I think the idea of a "right" way is ridiculous.

May 29th, '08, 11:42

by Beidao » May 29th, '08, 11:42

henley wrote:After your post yesterday, Beidao, was inspired to try the Czar Nicholas Russian tea from the TeaPass box this morning. Let's just say the Czar won't be back at my house! It was okay but couldn't get past the perfume smell to enjoy the taste.
"Russian tea" seems to be a term covering many teas. The one I have is a traditional unflavoured black. It's definitly not perfumy and has nothing to do with any Czar.

I moved on from TKY and Sencha to Jasmine, Bai Mu Dan and Golden Yunnan. Now I will get some Yunnan FOP and then probably Darjeling FF.

Flavored teas make me suspicious. If the tea is really good, you wouldn't have to cover the flavour. On the other hand, I believe that some rather good teas are flavoured without even having that as an excuse :cry:

Happy birthday Glow!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 29th, '08, 12:01

by augie » May 29th, '08, 12:01

insanitylater wrote: there was an accident in the insanitylater household
:cry:
Ouch, bummer.

I am not really into the flavored stuff. Jasmine is about as wild as it gets at my house! Also not taking into account the toe jam, cig butts, hair, Chicken doody, etc. flavoring pu ehr!

May 29th, '08, 12:05

by jazz88 » May 29th, '08, 12:05

Space Samurai wrote:I don't like flavored tea at all, not my thing. But I'm not a snob about it. I think everyone should drink whatever tea they want however they want; whatever makes them happy. There's a "traditional" way of tea, but I think the idea of a "right" way is ridiculous.
Very well said! I really have no fixed opinion on this. I like variety – sometimes I'm in a mood for unflavored tea and sometimes I'm not. I think flavored teas can taste great – it's more a question of quality. For example, Mariage Frères offer Marco Polo blend (flavored with Chinese and Tibetan herbs) which I enjoy very much.

May 29th, '08, 12:08

by auggy » May 29th, '08, 12:08

augie wrote: I am not really into the flavored stuff. Jasmine is about as wild as it gets at my house! Also not taking into account the toe jam, cig butts, hair, Chicken doody, etc. flavoring pu ehr!
Mmm, y'all sure know how to make pu ehr sound good to the uninitiated. :wink:

May 29th, '08, 12:15

by olivierco » May 29th, '08, 12:15

Kaburagien sencha right now.

No time today to taste fukamushi supreme :(

May 29th, '08, 13:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 29th, '08, 13:01

olivierco wrote:Kaburagien sencha right now.

Tsk tsk...this is what is in my cup currently. Very good as always.

Flavored tea...to borrow Phyll's wine line which he carried over to tea, "like what you drink and drink what you like." I learned something from Phyll. I learned to be more accepting of other's tastes. It is one thing to be a TeaSnob, it is another to simply be a Snob.

So, I am a TeaSnob, but have not only grown to accept flavored teas, but enjoy hearing about what flavored tea drinkers are sipping as well. I have discovered it is more about people vs. more about tea!!! What a revelation for me. :D

Ummm, no flavored tea today...I doubt if I will get to the OBO today :wink: since I will likely be leaving shincha behind on my trip to the Expo. :shock:

May 29th, '08, 13:18

by olivierco » May 29th, '08, 13:18

Chip wrote:
olivierco wrote:Kaburagien sencha right now.

Tsk tsk...this is what is in my cup currently. Very good as always.
I like to take my time with a new tea and I am too busy writing down income tax returns.

Darjeeling Phuguri FTGFOP1 right now.

May 29th, '08, 13:36

by jogrebe » May 29th, '08, 13:36

Lychee Black tea and Jasmine Pearls are the two flavored teas that I drink on my own. Although I brew batches of Adagio's Citron Green as ice tea for my girlfriend so I sometimes get some at her place.

So far a few glasses of Lychee black ice tea and now its time to move on to the puerh as the main course.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 29th, '08, 14:00

by henley » May 29th, '08, 14:00

Happy Birthday, Scarlet Glow! Hope it's a great day.
Beidao wrote: "Russian tea" seems to be a term covering many teas. The one I have is a traditional unflavoured black. It's definitly not perfumy and has nothing to do with any Czar.
I'll have to keep my eye out for an unflavored Russian tea to try. What brand is yours?
Space Samurai wrote: I don't like flavored tea at all, not my thing. But I'm not a snob about it. I think everyone should drink whatever tea they want however they want; whatever makes them happy. There's a "traditional" way of tea, but I think the idea of a "right" way is ridiculous.
Chip wrote:So, I am a TeaSnob, but have not only grown to accept flavored teas, but enjoy hearing about what flavored tea drinkers are sipping as well. I have discovered it is more about people vs. more about tea!!! What a revelation for me.
Very well said, gentlemen! TD has become my favorite part of TC because it's the one place where we all share our common interest of tea regardless of what we drink or how we drink it.
Last edited by henley on May 29th, '08, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, '08, 14:07

by auggy » May 29th, '08, 14:07

The youth pastor hear has learned I like tea, so he's showed up a couple of times with "tea" offerings. He's the one that gave me the green tea ginger ale or whatever it was a week or so ago. Today is Crystal Light's White Tea Blueberry.

Well, it's better than the green tea Canda Dry from last time. Which isn't saying much, but still. And it looks like Tang. :shock: Actually, if Tang made a blueberry flavor, this would be it.

Why oh why do they get to actually call this stuff "tea"?

May 29th, '08, 14:25

Re: SHUI XIAN OOLONG

by hop_goblin » May 29th, '08, 14:25

Salsero wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Yeah? And do you know your pot pattern is called 'xi shi hu'?
Now I do! :lol: Thnaks again!
hop_goblin wrote:Hey Sal, is that Xishi pot one from Chinese Teapot Gallery? Lovely!
Hop, it's from Kam at FunAlliance.

My late morning cup: a Dong Ding oolong, hold the ketchup. Anyone else see Stéphane's nice short portrait of the ladies who pick these Taiwanese teas?
"hold the ketchup" lol It is a lovely pot! I am jealous! :mrgreen:

May 29th, '08, 14:46

by Scarlet Glow » May 29th, '08, 14:46

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes!

You guys rock! 8)

Now, off to par-tay!

May 29th, '08, 15:24

by Beidao » May 29th, '08, 15:24

henley wrote:I'll have to keep my eye out for an unflavored Russian tea to try. What brand is yours?
I'm afraid that it's not really a brand tea and I'm also afraid that you could not get this specific tea unless I send you a sample. Which I can, of course, if you want me to. But if you like it you cannot buy it anyway... which may feel irritating!

By the way, I have no idea why the vendor calls this tea "Russian". I find it very irritating not to know more about it. Grr, stupid Swedish tea stores. [/quote]
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 29th, '08, 15:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 29th, '08, 15:45

Scarlet Glow wrote:Thanks for all of the birthday wishes!

You guys rock! 8)

Now, off to par-tay!
Is that a TeaParTay???

Happy Birthday to you!!!
Kirameki shincha for round 2. This is sublimely delicious.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!