Saturday TeaDay 5/31/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

May 31st, '08, 18:08

by TimeforTea » May 31st, '08, 18:08

Victoria wrote:Get READY for OOLONG Sunday!!!
Oolong Sunday, huh? I've been having an Oolong Saturday!! Been drinking peach oolong all day and am loving it!!

Chip, nice to see you snuck in to tell us all what you've been drinking so far!! Enjoy all the tea samples!

May 31st, '08, 18:23

by auggy » May 31st, '08, 18:23

Adagio's Pouchong for me today. Just about to do a 3rd steep.

It's interesting to see the different parameters everyone uses to create their prefect cup. I use a lot lower temps than it seems most do. But then I really hate any hint of bitterness so the lower temp keeps that from happening.

Sal, I like your teapot. Maybe you've mentioned this before in regards to the matching cup, but where did you get it?

May 31st, '08, 18:34

by henley » May 31st, '08, 18:34

auggy wrote:It's interesting to see the different parameters everyone uses to create their prefect cup.
You're right--it is interesting. I drink darker oolongs & use boiling water & steep for 5 min. But on the one green tea that I've liked, I use a lower temp than other people so it doesn't get the 'fishy' taste.

Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 31st, '08, 18:34

auggy wrote:Sal, I like your teapot. ... but where did you get it?
A local Asian market that no longer carries them. The whole line of leaping carp are the cheapest of the cheap china.

by omegapd » May 31st, '08, 18:34

Katrina wrote:
I had that experience for quite awhile with Ceylons but have recently discovered two that I really like. They were fuller flavored and bold with fruity notes and a sweet aftertaste. One was Mark T. Wendell's Cheericup Ceylon. The other was called Lover's Leap from a place called Herbata (but a quick web search showed it was available from many sources.) If you PM your address to me I can send you some samples.
Hey Katrina,

Thanks a bunch for the offer. I'll take you up on it if you'll let me send some stuff your way. PM sent.

EW

May 31st, '08, 18:37

by omegapd » May 31st, '08, 18:37

Ron Gilmour wrote:I've had a renewal of interest in Ceylons lately, largely inspired by a Ceylon OP, Adawatte Estate that I ordered from Upton. It's a beautiful cup with a sweet, fruity quality that reminds me of raisins. I also like Adagio's Ceylon Sonata, which I'm drinking right now.
Ron,

I was hoping you'd chime in since it seems we have about the same tastes in teas. FWIW, Ceylon Sonota was the best one I've tried recently.

Thanks,

EW

May 31st, '08, 18:45

by auggy » May 31st, '08, 18:45

Salsero wrote:
auggy wrote:Sal, I like your teapot. ... but where did you get it?
A local Asian market that no longer carries them. The whole line of leaping carp are the cheapest of the cheap china.
Cheap or not, the fish are cute!

No, wait, I mean manly. Manly fish. :wink:

May 31st, '08, 18:52

by RussianSoul » May 31st, '08, 18:52

Victoria wrote:Ya know I am so hesitant in giving out my brewing peramiters now, becuse we all brew so differently. I brew 15 oz at a time. So for you, you might consider that a pot. I used about 1.5 rounded teaspoons of leaf. (tableware) Maybe closer to two. 3mins just off boil. Perfection. It's a beautiful golden color too.
Thank you for sharing your method V. I'll try that, but I will reduce the volume and leaf proportionally, 15 oz is too much for me. I must say that I am doing something very similar: 3g, 8oz, 190F, 3 min and get that hint of bitterness none-the-less. Hmmm.... More experimenting is required :idea: .

May 31st, '08, 19:23

by Sam. » May 31st, '08, 19:23

I had some organic sencha from Den's earlier and now I'm drinking some green kukicha. I really love this kukicha. I'm loving all the new stuff that came in my order - I got one of the $19 teapots and a bunch of tea.

May 31st, '08, 20:27

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 20:27

Beidao wrote: But soon I'm going to a tea store in Stockholm (called In the Moof for Tea, by the way!). And there I'll buy some Da Hong Pao. Or Ali Shan. Or Phoenix Dancong. Or Tie Luohan.

Can the Oolong Queen give advice on which one of them to choose?
Go for the Ali Shan.
:)

May 31st, '08, 20:30

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 20:30

Chip wrote:Opened the day with Genmaicha w/match at a breafast buffet...yes, I brought it with me.

Been sipping samples at the Expo alllll day so far, but some highlights were...

Cold brewed sencha from Den's
Korean steamed tea/pan fired green
Lots of Taiwan oolong.

Still a long way to go today.
Lots of Taiwan oolong?????? Oh my!!!!!!!

May 31st, '08, 20:56

by Salsero » May 31st, '08, 20:56

RussianSoul wrote:3g, 8oz, 190F, 3 min and get that hint of bitterness none-the-less. Hmmm.... More experimenting is required :idea: .
And please let us know when you figure it out. I am having the same issues, and you speak my language: Grams. It's possible that different water requires different treatment.
auggy wrote:Cheap or not, the fish are cute!
No, wait, I mean manly. Manly fish.
And they are so good for you!

(And thanks for the vote of machismo!)

May 31st, '08, 21:08

by tenuki » May 31st, '08, 21:08

Honey Orchid Scent Phoenix Oolong - from..... Puershop?!?

Sample thrown in with my last order, heh. That was unexpected.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

May 31st, '08, 22:14

by henley » May 31st, '08, 22:14

Ending the day w/cuppa Pomegranate Pai Mu Tan white tea. The sample is okay but don't see me reordering. Anyone else tried this?

May 31st, '08, 22:33

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 22:33

I have a terrible headache and I know it is TEA related. OY.

I did not get to my matcha this afternoon as planned. I met up with some of my Perfume board friends and for a little perfume sniffing at South Coast Plaza. As talk turned to tea, turns out at least two of them are avid tea drinker and may be joining our board!!

More pouchong in my cup this afternoon.

Get READY for OOLONG Sunday!!!