Sunday TeaDay 6/01/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Jun 1st, '08, 08:03

by Beidao » Jun 1st, '08, 08:03

Have had 3 steeps of Darjeeling First Flush. Now on 3rd steeping of Sencha. No Oolong so far...

Hey, why is there cathair in my tea?
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 1st, '08, 09:10

by TimeforTea » Jun 1st, '08, 09:10

HAPPY OOLONG DAY, EVERYONE!!!

To honor the occassion, I am enjoying a cup of TKY.

Good news: My husband went out with a friend for Chinese food, and they were served a pot of oolong tea. He enjoyed it! Which oolong is closest to Chinese-restaurant-oolong, so I'll know what to purchase?

Jun 1st, '08, 09:15

by TimeforTea » Jun 1st, '08, 09:15

Selaphiel wrote:Sal: Can you link me a website where they sell those 9oz Bodum cups? I couldnt find them on Bodum.com : :?
You can also get them at amazon.com. You can get free shipping if your order adds up to $25. I love my 9 oz bodum cups. The smaller ones would be great for gaiwan brewing, too.

Jun 1st, '08, 10:01

by Beanbean » Jun 1st, '08, 10:01

I'm brewing my first pot of tea of the day...Assam. I do have some oolong samples that I will try later in the day.

I just have to mention that I was wandering through the tea aisle at a large, local Asian supermarket a few weeks aga and came across a five pound sack of tea marked "OOLONG" in two-inch red letters. The cost? For FIVE pounds of oolong tea? $4.87.

I passed. :roll:

Jun 1st, '08, 10:04

by Aphroditea » Jun 1st, '08, 10:04

Ti Kuan Yin for me this morning - Oolong Day is Fun! Will there be a parade....and fireworks? :)

In my travel mug there is about to be some Firefly (which is green....but I was craving it this morning).

When I get home, some sweetened iced tea I made from my Summerberry Swing blend. Tres yummy!

And tonight I will likely have a rooibos! Maybe a white.....ah the choices!

Jun 1st, '08, 10:08

by henley » Jun 1st, '08, 10:08

Starting the day w/Baozhong Oolong. This is the last of my stash from the TeaPass box & am gonna have to find more.

Happy Oolong Day!

Jun 1st, '08, 10:33

by RemedialLogic » Jun 1st, '08, 10:33

Some old shui xian i dug out from the tea closet.

I'm thinking my next cup of tea would probably be a TGY.

Jun 1st, '08, 10:45

by witches brew » Jun 1st, '08, 10:45

omegapd wrote:
Salsero wrote:
OK, I am resolved this week to get some Red Rose and try it out. How bad could it be?
Thanks for the info on the Ceylons (again).

The Red Rose is a strong black tea...more along the lines of an Assam with a hint of sweetness compared to a typical English Breakfast blend. It's a mix of Indonesian, Assam and Kenyan (I think). For grocery store stuff, it's the best I've ever had and has a distinct flavor you won't find in other blends...

EW
EW and Salsero,

My mother drank Red Rose as an everyday tea, pot after pot of it. Brewed strong enough to trot a mouse across it. I didn't particularly like it, which is no surprise because I like tea to be delicate and RRose is anything but. I brewed a pot of it at Samhain, in her memory, and just enjoyed the aroma of it.

Happy Oolong Day to those who are celebrating it. I searched high and low on my tea shelf but found nary a leaf of Oolong.

Now, in my own cup this morning, Rishi's Kagoshima #24, a sample that Inspectoring sent me. For such a dark brewing green, it is surprisingly light in flavor. Just a touch of bitterness, very little astringency, and a hint of citrus.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jun 1st, '08, 11:11

by olivierco » Jun 1st, '08, 11:11

Shincha Fukamushi Supreme (Thanks to Chip who sent it to me!).

Jun 1st, '08, 11:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 1st, '08, 11:42

Good Morning all!

In my cup this morning is a Phoenix Dan Cong from TeaCuppa. Wow, this is very different. Heavy roasted, it is a medium copper color, full bodied, with a sweet fruity taste. Maybe a little metallic, definitely hinting at lychee. There is a very strong after taste with this one, which after awhile feels a little peppery. Very different. Responding to tenuki's post of last night, I like it, not sure if I love it. But it is intriguing.

Happy Oolong Day! I plan to have many cups today to make up for yesterday!

Check back in today and let us know what you are drinking - Oolong or not!!
We also may be getting some more updates from the TEA EXPO!
So stay tuned!

Jun 1st, '08, 11:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 1st, '08, 11:51

TimeforTea wrote:HAPPY OOLONG DAY, EVERYONE!!!

Good news: My husband went out with a friend for Chinese food, and they were served a pot of oolong tea. He enjoyed it! Which oolong is closest to Chinese-restaurant-oolong, so I'll know what to purchase?
It was probably a TKY, maybe a lower grade and brewed with less leaf.
Also I think the Magnolia Oolong tastes similar to one served at a Chinese Restaurant near me.

Salsaro and Remedial - oolongs do photograph well and look so delicious!!
Thanks for the pics!!

Jun 1st, '08, 13:34

by LavenderPekoe » Jun 1st, '08, 13:34

So far today I have had a coconut black from the tea box. I actually like it very much, it reminds me so much of summers on a beach. I would have taken it all if that wasn't against the rules. :wink:

It's been a long day already and doesn't look to be slowing.
Teas for trade:

Jun 1st, '08, 13:37

by omegapd » Jun 1st, '08, 13:37

Sitting here and thinking about what to brew next...I know I should go for that Oolong just to be part of the "crowd" but I can't make myself do it right now. Assam is next on the list. 8)

Witches brew, thanks for the story. RR has a distinct aroma to go along with the flavor. Some people say it's similar to hay. I don't know, but I enjoy it- whatever it is... :wink:

EW

Jun 1st, '08, 13:50

by chamekke » Jun 1st, '08, 13:50

In honour of the day: Adagio's Jasmine #12 (jasmine pearls), which is technically an oolong even though it feels like a green.

Lovely story, witches brew. "Brewed strong enough to trot a mouse across it"... great phrase for a strong cuppa. My friends in the north of England use the expression "well mashed." Refers to mashing the teabag against the side of the pot (or cup!) to get out that last bit of dark-brown goodness.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jun 1st, '08, 14:15

by TimeforTea » Jun 1st, '08, 14:15

Victoria wrote:
TimeforTea wrote:HAPPY OOLONG DAY, EVERYONE!!!

It was probably a TKY, maybe a lower grade and brewed with less leaf.
Also I think the Magnolia Oolong tastes similar to one served at a Chinese Restaurant near me.

Thanks, Victoria! I was hoping you would reply. I brewed him a cup of my TKY from this morning. He liked it, but said the tea at the restaurant was darker in color. Did you happen to see post on the oolong board?
Last edited by TimeforTea on Jun 1st, '08, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.