Tuesday TeaDay, 6/03/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Summer is near. Have you tried any worthy ready to drink iced teas?

Yes
24%
Maybe
3%
No
24%
I make my own
47%
Other
2%

Total votes: 58

Jun 3rd, '08, 12:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 3rd, '08, 12:08

omegapd wrote: Keemun this morning for me too. One of Adagio's versions. After sampling 3 or 4 different ones, I can say that Keemun isn't for me.
EW
Me either, I say you dump those on some unsuspecting tea chatter like I did.
hahaha
Actutally they are nice teas, someone wil love them. Maybe.

I am on a mission today to make up for my lack of tea lately.

On my third brew already and it's only 9:00.
Before I left home the Drajeeling Oolong wannabe:
Organic Makaibari Oolong from India

Here at the office I'm having some nice Fu Shou - very green yet not vegetal - lovely!

Jun 3rd, '08, 12:19

by Geekgirl » Jun 3rd, '08, 12:19

Hi all, newbie here. Homemade iced tea for me too- make it in the pot and pour over ice the old fashioned way. I've been stocking up on my iced tea varieties already, even though it's Oregon, and we've only had about 4 warm days so far this year. Ha!

Osmanthus oolong for me this morning.

Jun 3rd, '08, 12:25

by xine » Jun 3rd, '08, 12:25

Hi all! Vegas was fun! It was a pleasure to finally meet Mary and Chip, as well as some other Adagio members, and my tea posse! Teamuse will have a fun little video we Adagio-ers made while out there.

I am fasting from tea today...I had plenty this weekend! yesterday I also took a red-eye home, so I was out of commission. I think however, I will be making a cup of the Nepalese first flush to enjoy today.

Jun 3rd, '08, 12:39

by tenuki » Jun 3rd, '08, 12:39

I cold brew my last infusion of puerh a lot of times and have it the next day for lunch. Sometimes I cold brew oolongs too. I still make sun tea too, despite all the hoopla claiming it's unsafe. pfftt.

crappy shu in my cup, gonna toss it. Samples are hit and mostly miss, why bother. Curiosity I suppose. Still, get out of my YiXing!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 3rd, '08, 13:31

by CynTEAa » Jun 3rd, '08, 13:31

tenuki wrote: I still make sun tea too, despite all the hoopla claiming it's unsafe. pfftt.
Hehe! Living on the tea-edge! I'm sure as long as the water is from a reliable source it should be fine. With all that hoopla, I've never actually heard a single person tell me they got sick from it.

Not sure what to brew next. Have many gift teas from friends at the Expo but thinking I'm not quite back to my usual self and don't want to waste something precious on sleepy taste buds. Had Yunnan Gold this morning. Hmmm --maybe a dark Taiwan Oolong? That sounds appealing...

Jun 3rd, '08, 13:55

by Victoria » Jun 3rd, '08, 13:55

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Hi all, newbie here. Homemade iced tea for me too- make it in the pot and pour over ice the old fashioned way. I've been stocking up on my iced tea varieties already, even though it's Oregon, and we've only had about 4 warm days so far this year. Ha!

Welcome!! Thanks for sharing with us!
ooooooooooooo oolong!! :)

Nice avatar too, is that a dogwood blossom?

Jun 3rd, '08, 14:02

by Pentox » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:02

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Hi all, newbie here. Homemade iced tea for me too- make it in the pot and pour over ice the old fashioned way. I've been stocking up on my iced tea varieties already, even though it's Oregon, and we've only had about 4 warm days so far this year. Ha!

Hi there! welcome to Teachat, say hi in the welcome/getting to know you forum!

I miss the weather up there in Oregon, I was up there for work about a month ago.

So far today, the last of my Tao of Tea Maruse. I'll probably be popping open more Shincha soon. I'm really trying to hold back from opening too many at the same time though.

As far as ready-to-drink teas go, I've often enjoyed the Itoen bottled green teas. Somewhat interesting flavor to them, but they lack the flavor of a good loose tea. Good for ready to drink though.

Jun 3rd, '08, 14:03

by auggy » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:03

Crazy day here. Is it time to go home yet?

I make my own iced tea, though no ice is involved. Just normal tea that I load up with sugar and stick in the fridge for DH or normal tea in a water bottle and put in the fridge for me. The only bottle teas I've had that I've liked have either been from Ito-en that I picked up in Hawaii or a Suntory that I got in Japan.

This morning was a strawberry vanilla blend and I have a chilled jasmine pearls looking at me as it gets a little closer to room temp before I drink it.

I still wanna go home. :cry:

Jun 3rd, '08, 14:23

by Pentox » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:23

auggy wrote:Crazy day here. Is it time to go home yet?

I make my own iced tea, though no ice is involved. Just normal tea that I load up with sugar and stick in the fridge for DH or normal tea in a water bottle and put in the fridge for me. The only bottle teas I've had that I've liked have either been from Ito-en that I picked up in Hawaii or a Suntory that I got in Japan.

This morning was a strawberry vanilla blend and I have a chilled jasmine pearls looking at me as it gets a little closer to room temp before I drink it.

I still wanna go home. :cry:
Well it would be time to go home if you went to work at like 3 in the morning. Did you?

Jun 3rd, '08, 14:31

by auggy » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:31

Pentox wrote:Well it would be time to go home if you went to work at like 3 in the morning. Did you?
Hmm, not quite. More like 8:30 but then what's 5 and a half hours?

Jun 3rd, '08, 14:43

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:43

Any of the mainstream RTDs are a huge disappointment.

The show was saturated with RTD offerings...too numerous to mention them all. It was crazy. I have not had that much iced tea in years. There is a strange phenom with RTDs, they are mostly either unsweetened which relies heavily on exacting brewing and packaging or they are so sweet that the tea flavor is completely lost. One was sparkiling and quite refreshing

Adagio has a line of RTDers that are unsweetened but have a small dash of citric acid which I think helps to preserve them...but it is virtually undetectable taste wise.

My RTD story of the show. I stopped at one stand that Den recommended and I wanted to try there RTD, they had samples prepoured. I asked the rep what it was and he said, "try it and you tell me." Not really thinking, I picked one up and drank it. I immediately became aware that it contained alcohol, not a big deal except to me because I have not had a drop of alcohol to drink for over 20 years (another story).

I did share this with him and hope that he learned something. You can not offer alcohol to someone w/o telling them it is present. I was gracious, but inside I was upset.

Had some adagio Keemun...I do like Keemun, one of my fave blacks...now on to shincha Fuka Supreme, this gets better each time. You can't brew it wrong...well, w/i reason.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 3rd, '08, 14:45

by Pentox » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:45

auggy wrote:
Pentox wrote:Well it would be time to go home if you went to work at like 3 in the morning. Did you?
Hm, sounds good enough. You have my approval.

Jun 3rd, '08, 14:45

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:45

Welcome Geek! Thanx for joining us...hope you stick around for many cups.

MMM, smelling a sample Adagio FF Nepalese from Cynthia. Smells fantastic dry!!!!

Jun 3rd, '08, 15:01

by auggy » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:01

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote:
Hm, sounds good enough. You have my approval.
Woo hoo!
Chip wrote:My RTD story of the show. I stopped at one stand that Den recommended and I wanted to try there RTD, they had samples prepoured. I asked the rep what it was and he said, "try it and you tell me." Not really thinking, I picked one up and drank it. I immediately became aware that it contained alcohol, not a big deal except to me because I have not had a drop of alcohol to drink for over 20 years (another story).

I did share this with him and hope that he learned something. You can not offer alcohol to someone w/o telling them it is present. I was gracious, but inside I was upset.
Wow! That's nuts and very irresponsible on his part. There are a lot of people that avoid alcohol for personal or religious reasons and to find it in such an unexpected place - he should have let you know... Yeah, shame on him.

On a side note, do many people spike their tea? Because really, I can't see the two going together well at all.

Jun 3rd, '08, 15:05

by daughteroftheKing » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:05

Iced tea: I drink it 365 days a year. Make my own, of course. Every day I bring a large thermos from home filled with ice and brew tea at the office to fill it. Every RTD tea I've had was pretty disappointing. There are 2 sample bottles from Adagio I've been afraid to try...but I will.

First cup this morning was a nice green mixed with a number of different flower blossoms - Blossoms of Spring from letsdotea.com
But at work I'm really getting help through a crazy morning with a few cups of Pouchong (Adagio). Ahhh. :)

Xine - Be sure to post about that new Nepalese first flush. I'd like to try it, but waiting for a few reviews on the Adagio site to see if it's my kind of tea.

Chip - I can't believe the guy was giving out samples with alcohol but no warning. I have a couple of friends and a few acquaintances who are recovering alcoholics (they go to A.A. at least a few times every week), and that sort of thing would have put them in a horrible, possibly life-altering place.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")