Tuesday TeaDay, 6/03/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Summer is near. Have you tried any worthy ready to drink iced teas?

Yes
24%
Maybe
3%
No
24%
I make my own
47%
Other
2%

Total votes: 58

Jun 3rd, '08, 15:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:10

Yeah, after the initial shock of it wore off, I should have gone back and shared with him a little more...but hopefully he could see my shock...

For me it is a personal choice I made. Interestingly (maybe) I do cook with alcohol...about a 5th a day. :wink:

This was tea liquor btw. Not sure if it was like fermented tea or what that was then distilled into liquor. But it was 40 proof. I do not think it was alcohol added.

There are a lot of recipes for tea "drinks."
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 3rd, '08, 15:10

by daughteroftheKing » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:10

Auggy - It's been a couple years, but I used to enjoy a splash of Bailey's Irish Cream in a cup of black tea on a Saturday late afternoon. Yummy, but alcohol really isn't my thing so I don't do that anymore.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Jun 3rd, '08, 15:12

Alishan

by Salsero » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:12

Sorry to be getting my pic in late, but last night the power went out and left me … well, powerless. It’s bad enough that the interwebz and alarm clocks don’t work without power, but hey this is Florida: without AC I was getting a little overheated. But the electric is back and now I’m chillin’ Image

New harvest, Spring 2008 Alishan from high on the mountain and in my new Hagi Yaki yunomi (that means cup for those who don’t know.)
Serenity Now … it doesn’t get better than this!
[Click for larger image.]

Jun 3rd, '08, 15:16

by auggy » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:16

daughteroftheKing wrote:Auggy - It's been a couple years, but I used to enjoy a splash of Bailey's Irish Cream in a cup of black tea on a Saturday late afternoon. Yummy, but alcohol really isn't my thing so I don't do that anymore.
Hmm, I wouldn't have thought of that. Coffee, yes, but not tea. Interesting. Don't think I'll try it, though. Not big on drinking myself. Had half a glass of wine this weekend and that'll keep me for about 3 months at least. :D

Not that it is a big correlation with only three people, but it seems like there are a few true TEAtotalers on here! :wink:

Jun 3rd, '08, 15:22

by henley » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:22

auggy wrote: Not that it is a big correlation with only three people, but it seems like there are a few true TEAtotalers on here! :wink:
Make that four people! Last time I drank was 15 yrs ago.

Jun 3rd, '08, 17:03

Re: Alishan

by Victoria » Jun 3rd, '08, 17:03

Salsero wrote:Sorry to be getting my pic in late, but last night the power went out and left me … well, powerless. It’s bad enough that the interwebz and alarm clocks don’t work without power, but hey this is Florida: without AC I was getting a little overheated. But the electric is back and now I’m chillin’ Image

New harvest, Spring 2008 Alishan from high on the mountain and in my new Hagi Yaki yunomi (that means cup for those who don’t know.)
Serenity Now … it doesn’t get better than this!
[Click for larger image.]
Nice Pic Sal! And very nice choice of oolongs! I'm having some right now in fact. Oolongs from Ali Shan are some of my favorites. :)

Jun 3rd, '08, 17:13

by Beidao » Jun 3rd, '08, 17:13

henley wrote:
auggy wrote: Not that it is a big correlation with only three people, but it seems like there are a few true TEAtotalers on here! :wink:
Make that four people! Last time I drank was 15 yrs ago.
Make that five people. I drink a lot of de-alcoholized wine but haven't touched the real stuff. Too few of my friends understand how cool it is to never having been drunk!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 3rd, '08, 17:13

by daughteroftheKing » Jun 3rd, '08, 17:13

Sal - The cup is beautiful, but that tea -- wow, it almost pulls you in to drink it!

Jun 3rd, '08, 17:19

by scruffmcgruff » Jun 3rd, '08, 17:19

I like the Adagio RTDs. The black and oolong varieties were very enjoyable.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jun 3rd, '08, 17:27

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '08, 17:27

scruffmcgruff wrote:I like the Adagio RTDs. The black and oolong varieties were very enjoyable.
The adagio black won best in category award...ftw!!!! I like the jasmine and the black and the oolong. The green is good too.

Moving on to Kirameki shincha...have not had this since last Thursday. It is really so different and good. I am glad it is only available for a limited time...makes it special.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 3rd, '08, 17:49

by Pentox » Jun 3rd, '08, 17:49

auggy wrote: On a side note, do many people spike their tea? Because really, I can't see the two going together well at all.
I haven't done it, but I could easily see a little bit of gin going well with a tea. The clean juniper feeling of the gin would probably make a nice tea a little fresher feeling.

Jun 3rd, '08, 18:11

by Aphroditea » Jun 3rd, '08, 18:11

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote: On a side note, do many people spike their tea? Because really, I can't see the two going together well at all.
I haven't done it, but I could easily see a little bit of gin going well with a tea. The clean juniper feeling of the gin would probably make a nice tea a little fresher feeling.
My dad does this. He takes one of my blends (Arethusa Rumrunner) and steeps a really strong cup then adds in rum. Not really any different from Irish coffee or somesuch.

I personally have not done it tho.

Jun 3rd, '08, 18:25

by RussianSoul » Jun 3rd, '08, 18:25

I find Ito En's bottled and canned tea to be nice. Everything else I tried is unacceptable.

Had 3 teas so far: Yunnan Gold + Keemun blend (inspired by Jim109), Gan Lu (brewed in bone china cup grandfather's style) and Shincha Hashiri. Gan Lu really shines with lower temps and I love Hashiri. Good teaday!

Oh, it is a known practice in Russia to add brandy to tea for medicinal purposes, for coughs, colds and such.

Jun 3rd, '08, 18:34

by Ron Gilmour » Jun 3rd, '08, 18:34

I'm a very strange Southerner in that I really just don't like iced tea that much. Of the RTDs I've tried, I'd say HonestTea is the best, but it's not something I drink very often.

I just got an order from Puerhshop today and was surprised by a few free samples, including the 2001 CNNP Yiwu Zhengshan Old Tree Pu-erh that I'm drinking now. It's a very nice sheng and is doing a good job of reviving me after work. The wet leaves smell of something that I can't quite place...maybe licorice?

Jun 3rd, '08, 18:39

by Pentox » Jun 3rd, '08, 18:39

Ron Gilmour wrote:I'm a very strange Southerner in that I really just don't like iced tea that much. Of the RTDs I've tried, I'd say HonestTea is the best, but it's not something I drink very often.
I'm actually quite surprised. I found HonestTea to be really quite off tasting to me. I don't think i'd try it again unless I had some reason to believe it got a lot better.