Tuesday TeaDay, 6/03/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Summer is near. Have you tried any worthy ready to drink iced teas?

Yes
24%
Maybe
3%
No
24%
I make my own
47%
Other
2%

Total votes: 58

Jun 3rd, '08, 22:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '08, 22:50

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Ladytiger wrote:No tea today. Too depressed.

RIP Sir Gawian
Aw, poor little Sir. I'm sorry.
Sorry LT!!! I am in the midst of losing Marsby the cat (named after me, but not by me). He was fine a few days ago before Vegas, but caught that deadly cold/infection they get.

I am a little afraid to go check on him....
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 3rd, '08, 22:50

by RussianSoul » Jun 3rd, '08, 22:50

henley wrote:There's green tea in that girly cup!!! :shock:

Kids FINALLY went to sleep & hubby's working late so had some time to play w/this Shincha Hatsumi from Eastree via the tea box. It's actually good! The first steep was my favorite but the subsequent steeps weren't bad. Not ready to cross over to the green side, though. This stuff is waaaay too fussy for me!
Pretty cup!

That Hatsumi was from me. It sounds like my brewing suggestions worked for you! Yay!

Jun 3rd, '08, 22:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 3rd, '08, 22:58

RussianSoul wrote:
henley wrote:There's green tea in that girly cup!!! :shock:

Kids FINALLY went to sleep & hubby's working late so had some time to play w/this Shincha Hatsumi from Eastree via the tea box. It's actually good! The first steep was my favorite but the subsequent steeps weren't bad. Not ready to cross over to the green side, though. This stuff is waaaay too fussy for me!
Pretty cup!

That Hatsumi was from me. It sounds like my brewing suggestions worked for you! Yay!
...which came from me!!! Yay!!! A small measure of redemption. :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 3rd, '08, 23:05

by henley » Jun 3rd, '08, 23:05

RussianSoul wrote: That Hatsumi was from me. It sounds like my brewing suggestions worked for you! Yay!
:oops: Sorry! See what happens when I assume? And yes, your brewing suggestions worked great! Had I known I was going to like it, I would have taken out more! :lol: Think I've got enough left for another cup. Though don't know when I'll have time.
Chip wrote:Hatsumi is one of the most difficult sencha I have tried, especially this year. Took me 4 tries to get it right this Spring...you got it right the first try with no sencha experience...

*humiliated...goes to hide in the TeaCave*
Don't go hide in the TeaCave. :wink: I'm notorious for having beginner's luck. The next time will probably stink!

Jun 3rd, '08, 23:07

by RussianSoul » Jun 3rd, '08, 23:07

Chip wrote:
RussianSoul wrote: That Hatsumi was from me. It sounds like my brewing suggestions worked for you! Yay!
Absolutely. I kept most of your parameters, but reduced leaf/water ratio. Would not have figured it out without you. You are the Emperor of Shincha!

Jun 3rd, '08, 23:11

by henley » Jun 3rd, '08, 23:11

RussianSoul wrote:
Chip wrote:
Absolutely. I kept most of your parameters, but reduced leaf/water ratio. Would not have figured it out without you. You are the Emperor of Shincha!
The leaf/water ratio was the one thing I forgot to write down. Kinda guessed at it but I used 1/2 tsp w/6 oz water. Any suggestions for next time?

Jun 3rd, '08, 23:25

by RussianSoul » Jun 3rd, '08, 23:25

henley wrote:The leaf/water ratio was the one thing I forgot to write down. Kinda guessed at it but I used 1/2 tsp w/6 oz water. Any suggestions for next time?
Shincha Hatsumi: 4g, 8oz, 160°F, 60s, 10-15s, 40s, 1.5m, ... This is what I like.

I am sure more experienced people will be able to help as well.

Jun 3rd, '08, 23:54
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Jun 3rd, '08, 23:54

I like chai as iced tea. Can't be beat.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Jun 4th, '08, 00:30

by bi lew chun » Jun 4th, '08, 00:30

I've been staring at a mini watermelon for a few days. It wants me to make white iced tea with it, but I'm in more of a hot oolong mood.

TGY in my cup.

Jun 4th, '08, 00:39

by kymidwife » Jun 4th, '08, 00:39

Brew my own almost always... haven't been able to find a single RTD that I could even finish... yuck.

I don't drink sodas, so finding something to drink when I travel by car is always a challenge. The teas in convenience stores or at fast-food drive-thrus is usually just terrible. I have learned, though, that if you want tea at a drive-thru, my personal favorites are Sonic, Capt. D's, Backyard Burgers, and lately, McDonald's has been drinkable but not good. Sonic and BYB seem to be consistently good, and around here they both brew with Luzianne.

I am never more furious than when I order iced tea and I get instant nestea crap with a ton of syrupy lemon flavor, blechhhh.

I brew my own... lots of times lately I am drinking hot tea in the morning, and I use my left-overs or make a 2nd steep for iced tea to take to work. I drink some kind of iced tea alllll day long... have a steeper at home, at work, and at my mom's... plus a variety of tea scattered out at all locations.

In my cup today has been Yunnan Gold... hot this morning, then iced, taken to work with me. When that ran out, I made a combo of Green Tea Heaven and Morrocan Mint at work and drank it iced. Now I'm trying Oolong #40, and I really like it very much... suits me better than the Pouchong, I think. Its late and i should go to bed soon, so I hope it doesnt keep me awake!

Chip, I hope your kitty is ok.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 4th, '08, 00:52

by Space Samurai » Jun 4th, '08, 00:52

I just ice-brewed some houjicha karigane; it was not at all unlike an iced coffee.

Jun 4th, '08, 01:42

by Pentox » Jun 4th, '08, 01:42

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Back home now, with some White Peony. I'm kind of a sucker for Silver Needle, but I'm out, so this will suffice. :(
Obviously a problem that should be remedied. I'm actually sitting in a bit of the opposite situation at the moment. I've got way too much silver needle to drink, I don't drink it that often so it's taking me a while to get through it all.

Jun 4th, '08, 05:28

by Beidao » Jun 4th, '08, 05:28

Ladytiger wrote:No tea today. Too depressed.

RIP Sir Gawian
What a cutie. I'm sorry for the grief you have to go through.

And Chip, I really hope Marsby will make it.

Jun 4th, '08, 05:39

by Beidao » Jun 4th, '08, 05:39

Jack_teachat wrote:
Beidao wrote: Too few of my friends understand how cool it is to never having been drunk!
I must say I rather disagree with this statement. I'm not saying that it is "cool" to be drunk, it’s just I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't really judge a consumable substance/product unless you yourself have tried it. I have been what you could call "drunk" quite a number of times, but by doing so I am very aware of my limits and consequently I think I respect alcohol more than many who merely abuse it (quite often through lack of experience with the substance). I also feel that I could talk to somebody about alcohol in a mature fashion and possibly offer them constructive advice if they felt they had a problem. Whether you have ever been drunk or not, either way it has absolutely nothing to do with being "cool".
Jack, I really hope I have not offended you. I was joking and I have a habit of speaking without thinking. What I meant was that I'm still in the age when people drink to be cool. And if you don't drink, you're strange. I totally agree with you that drinking or not drinking has nothing to do with being cool. Whatever "cool" is supposed to mean. Next time I'll try to put my words better.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 4th, '08, 06:47

by Jack_teachat » Jun 4th, '08, 06:47

Beidao wrote:
Jack_teachat wrote:
Beidao wrote: Too few of my friends understand how cool it is to never having been drunk!
I must say I rather disagree with this statement. I'm not saying that it is "cool" to be drunk, it’s just I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't really judge a consumable substance/product unless you yourself have tried it. I have been what you could call "drunk" quite a number of times, but by doing so I am very aware of my limits and consequently I think I respect alcohol more than many who merely abuse it (quite often through lack of experience with the substance). I also feel that I could talk to somebody about alcohol in a mature fashion and possibly offer them constructive advice if they felt they had a problem. Whether you have ever been drunk or not, either way it has absolutely nothing to do with being "cool".
Jack, I really hope I have not offended you. I was joking and I have a habit of speaking without thinking. What I meant was that I'm still in the age when people drink to be cool. And if you don't drink, you're strange. I totally agree with you that drinking or not drinking has nothing to do with being cool. Whatever "cool" is supposed to mean. Next time I'll try to put my words better.
Hi

No don't worry you haven't offended me, I was just a bit edgy last night as I have my final university exam today! Trust me, as a student I get sick of people going on about getting drunk all the time too! :roll: Sorry for sounding a bit harsh, I'm abit more calm about it now, the exam is at 2.30pm.

All the best
Jack :D