FRIDAY!!! TeaDay 6/06/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Salsero asked, "are you a 'teatotaler' or do you drink alcohol?"

I do not drink alcohol
18%
I virtually do not drink alcohol
10%
I drink acohol on occasion
43%
I drink alcohol
25%
Other
3%

Total votes: 60

Jun 6th, '08, 13:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 6th, '08, 13:51

xine wrote:Having some Golden Monkey...hoping to find some oolong around here, as to beat my cold.
Adagio Golden Monkey as well...drinking a little more black these days...but it has to be first order of the day or it ain't happening.

Growing up, my parents would have "cocktails" every evening before dinner w/o fail. They drank the same thing and same brand forever, still do...booooorrrrriiinnngggg. Anyway, I had to learn the hard way that I could not follow their path.

As I wrote a few days ago in Vegas, a very foolish exhibitor coerced me into trying his RTD "tea" despite the fact he would not tell me what it was. Although I did not "drink" intentionally, this was the first "drink" I had had in over 20 years. I am perhaps more angry about this today than I was when it happened. I was stunned when it happened and was waiting for my world to come crashing down all around me.

A recovering alcoholic (which I do consider myself although I did not go through any program and self diagnosed) is very proud of the period he/she abstains and generally mark milestones in the journey. Now, I must mark my journey with an *asterisk* because of this knucklehead.

I am quite comfortable around alcohol...doesn't bother me at all if it is around. Also in Vegas, the group had wine one night, I asked for a splash in my glass so I could smell it. I love the bouquet of wines.

Jun 6th, '08, 14:28

by Salsero » Jun 6th, '08, 14:28

Chip wrote:a splash in my glass so I could smell it. I love the bouquet of wines.
Good idea ... this may be the path for me to enjoy more wine and still stay awake! Thanks Chip for sharing the idea.
Carnelian wrote:I have had difficulty with one thing though, pouring tea from the gaiwan without half of it spilling onto the kitchen table, it just runs down the side no matter what I do.
Maybe it's just a question of practice, maybe technique. Here are two resources showing standard gaiwan handling http://chineseteas101.com/gaiwan.htm

and the sissy technique that I and Scruff McGruff use, illustrated in one of Scruff's blog entries http://www.teanerd.com/2007/03/beginner ... iwans.html

Jun 6th, '08, 14:38

by olivierco » Jun 6th, '08, 14:38

Darjeeling Phuguri FTGFOP1 to end the day.

Jun 6th, '08, 14:51

by auggy » Jun 6th, '08, 14:51

Chip wrote:A recovering alcoholic (which I do consider myself although I did not go through any program and self diagnosed) is very proud of the period he/she abstains and generally mark milestones in the journey. Now, I must mark my journey with an *asterisk* because of this knucklehead.
Nah, your journey isn't marked with an asterisk. Just an @ss.

Jun 6th, '08, 15:13

by henley » Jun 6th, '08, 15:13

auggy wrote:
Chip wrote:A recovering alcoholic (which I do consider myself although I did not go through any program and self diagnosed) is very proud of the period he/she abstains and generally mark milestones in the journey. Now, I must mark my journey with an *asterisk* because of this knucklehead.
Nah, your journey isn't marked with an asterisk. Just an @ss.
My thoughts exactly!!! :wink:

Jun 6th, '08, 15:15

by CynTEAa » Jun 6th, '08, 15:15

Chip, congrats on your long recovery. I agree with Auggy. No asterisk. Hope you are okay now. Let the anger go and focus on camelia sinensis. If anything, your reaction will have taught the vendor he needs to tell people what they are drinking and maybe will prevent someone else from having that experience. :)

Jun 6th, '08, 15:30

by Carnelian » Jun 6th, '08, 15:30

Salsero wrote: Here are two resources showing standard gaiwan handling http://chineseteas101.com/gaiwan.htm
Thanks Sal! That link is exactly what I needed. I still need some practice (I hesitate too much at the start of the pour, which lets some tea spill), but by using that technique only a tiny dribble is wasted instead of half the gaiwan
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jun 6th, '08, 15:35

by Salsero » Jun 6th, '08, 15:35

Carnelian wrote: I still need some practice (I hesitate too much at the start of the pour, which lets some tea spill), but by using that technique only a tiny dribble is wasted instead of half the gaiwan
Yes, done right, it should be a pretty neat process with very little spilling. BTW, there are also tons of YouTube videos of people making tea with gaiwans.

Jun 6th, '08, 15:55

by Beidao » Jun 6th, '08, 15:55

I've never felt any wish to drink. My dad is on the border to having problems with alchohol and I grew up watching him drunk. I guess that turned me off. So yes, I'm a teatotaler.

Have not had any tea today, only coffee, and it's to late now. It's holiday - the Swedish national day - but I've been working nine hours and will go to bed soon. I'm glad to see that other peoples' teaday has been better than mine!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 6th, '08, 16:40

by Geekgirl » Jun 6th, '08, 16:40

Drinking (not to excess) is a-okay in my book. We're in the Pacific NW, so craft brews and small wineries... plus I love a good gin and tonic made with Hendricks. I'd say I have a drink or two at least twice a week.

Tea has definitely made a difference in the WAY I drink though, I tend to savor and sip more. The other night I had Laurelwood Pub's new seasonal SPF30. yummy. Took me all of dinner to sip that one.

In my cup this morning: started with Tippy South Cloud. The first time I had it it kind of kicked my teeth so I did the cream and sugar thing. Today I used twice the leaf and 1/2 the steep time and it was soooo good.

Right now, jasmine pearl:

Crappy photo with my point and shoot, but I'm a visual girl, so there ya go.

Jun 6th, '08, 16:49

by Salsero » Jun 6th, '08, 16:49

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Crappy photo with my point and shoot, but I'm a visual girl, so there ya go
On the contrary, a very nice photo, but even a lousy one would have been an improvement over none!

Is that huge looking thing a bowl or cup that you drink from? It looks bigger than a matcha chawan... or is the pot just a tiny one?

Jun 6th, '08, 16:51

by scruffmcgruff » Jun 6th, '08, 16:51

I wish all my photos were so crappy! :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jun 6th, '08, 16:57

by Geekgirl » Jun 6th, '08, 16:57

Salsero wrote:Is that huge looking thing a bowl or cup that you drink from? It looks bigger than a matcha chawan... or is the pot just a tiny one?
Pot is tiny, just under 5 ounces. The cup holds exactly the contents of the pot. It is very wide, but shallow. I like tea bowls, and have a couple of tea bowls that I use that are really technically very small rice bowls.

For size reference. I can hide the entire body of the teapot behind a business card. Only the handle, spout and knob are visible. Tea bowl is just over 3-1/2" wide.

Jun 6th, '08, 17:07

by Victoria » Jun 6th, '08, 17:07

Sal, I think you are in for some competition if those are her crappy photos!

Very sharp and vivid! Love that bowl, someone else has that one too.

Well Ms Newbie, you have us quite impressed with your teaware, photography and knowledge of tea!

We are so glad you joined us!

Jun 6th, '08, 17:07

by Chip » Jun 6th, '08, 17:07

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Drinking (not to excess) is a-okay in my book. We're in the Pacific NW, so craft brews and small wineries... plus I love a good gin and tonic made with Hendricks. I'd say I have a drink or two at least twice a week.

Tea has definitely made a difference in the WAY I drink though, I tend to savor and sip more. The other night I had Laurelwood Pub's new seasonal SPF30. yummy. Took me all of dinner to sip that one.

In my cup this morning: started with Tippy South Cloud. The first time I had it it kind of kicked my teeth so I did the cream and sugar thing. Today I used twice the leaf and 1/2 the steep time and it was soooo good.

Right now, jasmine pearl:

Crappy photo with my point and shoot, but I'm a visual girl, so there ya go.
I love that "bowl"...love celadon. That is a nice size too. 3.5" wide. Yeah, the Geeky girl can stay!

Mmmmm...Fukamushi...man this stuff is dynamite this year. I am blown away.

Thanx everyone for your kind words about the *. Streaks are sometimes more of a vanity than anything else. I am encouraged by your...encouraging words.
Last edited by Chip on Jun 6th, '08, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.